Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Sirius Question

I have a 2008 Tour 40WD with the Sirius Radio option. Has anyone come up with a clever way to listen to Sirius outside through the entertainment center?

When listening to the radio inside, there is a switch which allows either the TV or the radio to go to the speakers? Do just the front speakers work in this mode? Or are you supposed to get some speakers in the rear of the coach to work as well. It seams that all I get are the front speakers.

Thanks,
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a Sirius FM adapter that plays through the dash radio. The adapter plays and the radio receives the signal at the lower FM frequencies. I also can play it on the outside radio by setting it at the lower freqs.

Try setting the out side radio at 87.5 and working up through 89.9 you just might find the correct setting. There is also a 107.9 setting but I have never used it. Mostly I use 87.9 and 88.1

No guarantees, a suggestion, good luck.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

08 TOUR Speaker Adjustments

If you press the audio button and then turn the large left dial you can change which speakers are in use. You probably have them set on front only. We had just the opposit problem when we got our coach we couldn't get sound out of the front speakers until a tech showed us how to make the adjustments. Good Luck.
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I can't wait to find out if there is a way without having to purchase 1) another unit which the dealer recommended or 2) find the adapter that depchief recommended. Our dash radio only works on the front speakers, but if we set the surround sound to go...we have a party bus as the younger generation says!!!!
Old 11-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlf00 View Post
I have a 2008 Tour 40WD with the Sirius Radio option. Has anyone come up with a clever way to listen to Sirius outside through the entertainment center?

When listening to the radio inside, there is a switch which allows either the TV or the radio to go to the speakers? Do just the front speakers work in this mode? Or are you supposed to get some speakers in the rear of the coach to work as well. It seams that all I get are the front speakers.

Thanks,
Sirius in the back bedroom would be nice also.

My radio and most radios can be adjusted left to right and front to rear. When driving I adjust to full front (unless passengers are along) speakers and about 50-50 or more to the rear when we are in the living area.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Bill,

You should have a Quick Reference card for the RV Radio. If you push the volume button 4 times, it should show the Fader option. Now turn the volume button and it will move the sound from the front to the back speakers or somewhere it between.

On my 2007 Tour, I have NOT found a way to pump the Sirius music to the outside speakers. Depchief's solution won't work on our radios because the Sirius is built right into our radio and is not a separate unit. You can always play the music so loud on the inside that you can hear it outside!!!

Since the back bedroom system is basically the same as the outside system, you will not have any luck pumping Sirius tunes to the bedroom either.

I did find that the radio has two Aux input wires if you dig under the dashboard. You can plug in a double male wire into this Aux connection and then plug in your iPod. Click the Mode button until the Aux 1 appears.

One final modification I did was to install two power shut offs on both the bedroom and the outside radio. They are always 'on' sucking battery power plus the display on the bedroom unit lights up the whole room at night. This way I can kill ALL the power to each of the radios when they are not being used.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hmm! The portable system has two outputs to a radio receiver. One is through an FM Direct Modulator, and the other is through a miniature plug if the radio is equipped. The FM Direct Modulator is plugs into the antenna jack of the radio, and the regular antenna plugs into the modulator. A miniature plug goes into the Sirius output jack.

Your radio may have an output jack. If it does, you may be able to pick up a wireless transmitter to push to the outside radio, or the back bedroom radio. Radio Shack sells some wireless transmitters.

Good hunting.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all of you that said I could use the fader option on the radio to pump some audio to the rear speakers. I do not know why I did not think of that. I tried it out tonight and it works great.

As far as getting Sirius sent to the outside entertainment center (or to the bedroom), I still do not have a solution. I looked at the radio manual that came with the coach and it was not much help on what type of outputs maybe available on the unit. If there was an audio output, I could possibly connect that to one of those FM modulators and transmit it to any radio in the area.

Does anyone know if the dash radio is wired into the surround system? There may be an audio output from that.
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

What you REALLY want is a line-level output from either the Sirius receiver direct, OR a front radio that is a constant output that has a fixed level output, THEN drive that through shielded stereo audio cables to the rear radios.

I started playing with this not long ago and found that the radio does have line-level outputs but they are variable, not fixed (as I expected). So the next trick when I have nothing better to do is to open the Magnadyne and scope the Sirius connector for constant level audio off the receiver.

It's irritating that this can't be, or wasn't done. But this mod is clearly exclusive to larger coach's that would make use of common distributed source audio.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I too have attempted to find a way to listen to my Sirius outside of the coach. I did pull the radio out of the dash hoping to find some type of aux or speaker outputs, no such luck. If you try pulling the radio out, be aware of VERY short leads to the inputs to the back of the unit. It took about 30secs to pull the radio, but I struggled getting it back in, having to enlist help holding the radio while I crawled under the dash to plug back in the connections. At this point I can only see the solution is to buy another "dock and play" unit, and forget about the in-dash Magnadyne radio, unfortunately.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote