Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
I can do all that with my mirrors and have my rear camera screen on. I say that because I haven't read a reply that makes the sideview better then a good set of properly adjusted side mirrors.
I have to agree. I have the side cameras but I rely on the mirrors.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:58 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Apparently, many of the responders have never heard that one is not to pull back into a lane after passing until at least they can clearly see both headlights of the vehicle they are passing in the side mirrors. This is an old trucker tip I have used for many years.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I have the birdseye cameras. I use the mirrors, but appreciate the added look of the cameras. Safety is first and using all the available tools makes sense.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:05 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Apparently, many of the responders have never heard that one is not to pull back into a lane after passing until at least they can clearly see both headlights of the vehicle they are passing in the side mirrors. This is an old trucker tip I have used for many years.
Not sure that I would endorse this procedure as it depends on how long your unit is and if you are pulling a trailer.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Not sure that I would endorse this procedure as it depends on how long your unit is and if you are pulling a trailer.
I've towed some long and heavy stuff in my life and if when your passing you don't have enough room to follow his procedure you should not have been passing in the first place it's more a high way thing than two lanes.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

The location of my monitor precludes getting much use out of the side cameras. It seems that this is a common problem with the Ford/Winnebago MHs. The monitor is in the middle of the dash, down low, and angled very little. I'm not comfortable taking my eyes off the road long enough to focus on the monitor. Perhaps if the monitor was in a better location I'd get more use out of the side cameras. I have my wide angle mirrors adjusted to ensure no blind spots (especially the right side).
Old 01-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Late to this party.

Traded an 04 Journey 39W for a new 06 Ambassador PLQ in 05 with rear and side cameras. Oh goodie goodie was my thought when we bought. I used the side cameras a bit at first. On mine you could set the side cameras to go on with the turn signal. So, when you flicked the lever to move right, the right camera came on. OR, you could just leave it on the rear and put it on either side manually. Frankly, the mirrors on the Ambassador were great and I soon found I much preferred the mirrors to the camera. Like one of the previous commentators I didn't like looking down at the camera when changing lanes or turning and the mirrors were much easier to see.

A really good feature that I've not had on any other MH was the adjustable rear camera on the Ambassador. With a couple of buttons I could raise and lower the camera. We usually kept it on low so we could see the toad and the tow bar for the first 5 or 10 minutes and then I'd raise the camera to give me a great rear view and used it when pulling out to pass and back in line, together, with the RV mirrors.

Our new Itasca Impulse has an adjustable rear mirror. I was inspecting the roof when we got it home and I got on the rear ladder and when on it noticed that the mirror could be adjusted up and down. So now we have it raised and can get a decent view out the back. We also have a rear window that is visible in the RV mirror and we can see trucks when they are right behind us. Also have the prism (can't remember the tech name) on the rear window and it works fairly well. Our Kodiak had a rear camera that could not be adjusted up and down and other than look at the front of the toad and the tow bar it was useless when underway.

If side cameras came with a MH it would not bother me, but if ordering a MH I would not pay more for them unless the amount was trivial.

Don
Old 01-14-2011, 10:58 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I've towed some long and heavy stuff in my life and if when your passing you don't have enough room to follow his procedure you should not have been passing in the first place it's more a high way thing than two lanes
My point was that seeing headlights in your mirror does not indicate you are clear to change lanes. With your set up you should see headlights clearly in your mirror long before passing the vehicle.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
My point was that seeing headlights in your mirror does not indicate you are clear to change lanes. With your set up you should see headlights clearly in your mirror long before passing the vehicle.
I'm just a little confused with what you posted, I'm refering to once you have passed a vehicle and you see both of it's headlights or a full frontal view of the vehicle you have a general idea that you have adequate clearance to change back into that lane. As I mentioned as well I'm referring to a four lane road or a highway it would have to be an awfully long two lane road before I would think of passing and even then I most likely would not pass because of the chance of someone pulling out of a driveway that would not be looking my direction and on two lane roads I'm normally the one being passed.

Quote:
With your set up you should see headlights clearly in your mirror long before passing the vehicle.
I'm not sure if this is a misprint how could I see the headlights of the vehicle in front of me before I passed
See My RV Upgrades
Old 01-15-2011, 04:05 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Sideview

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSouthw524 View Post

My father taught me that in 1957 when I started driving. I think people don't feel comfortable using there side or rear mirrors. I also have round 2" fish eye mirrors on the MH convex mirrors.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:45 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

For people that like to have more control over their side view camera's give this link a read.
For others that want split screen give this link a try.
After all its only money.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:32 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is a misprint how could I see the headlights of the vehicle in front of me before I passed
Maybe I should have said before I have "completely" passed. How about this... yesterday I passed a car with my semi 75 foot rig and when the car was half way down my rig ( not fully passed yet) I could clearly see his headlights in my mirror. Being a trucker and reading the post about this little headlight trick I thought I would try it. Doesn't work. Maybe I need side cameras on my rig.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Maybe I should have said before I have "completely" passed.
Now that I'm a little more awake I understand what you meant.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 01-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Now that I'm a little more awake I understand what you meant.
I went back and read my post again. It confused me to.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Count me as a supporter and a user of the side views. Sure the view is sometimes a tad on the glare side at night but that sends a huge message . . . someone is over there hiding and in the way.