Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Just wondered if anyone has installed side signal lights on their coaches. I'm contemplating doing so on ours to help with changing lanes. We have a 2006 Sightseer 33T. Any suggestions...

2006 Sightseer 33T, W18, 8.1L
mis3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Just wondered if anyone has installed side signal lights on their coaches. I'm contemplating doing so on ours to help with changing lanes. We have a 2006 Sightseer 33T. Any suggestions...

Old 11-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #3
RLS
Winnebago Owner

I added them to our coach. I found that they make a big difference when changing lanes. We have a Freightliner chassis, the wiring for side signal/marker lights was tied up on the inside of the frame rails. I purchased side light fixtures and sockets that came on the Ultimate Advantage coaches. You will need to fish in new wire. I used a Dremel tool to enlarge the hole for the larger socket. I also mounted the lamp fixture with stainless steel screws. It's a lot of work crawling around the coach and fishing the wire but well worth it, at least to me.
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

i believe that you can also by mirrors that show the lane change also from velvac... i don't know if they are for you or the traffic to see..
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

This is something that I planned on doing to my coach also. Figured that I would surface mount them about the same height, one front and one rear on each side. Tap the turn signal line at the front and the rear. "Looks" pretty easy. Surprised that the unit came with a "center" marker light on each side, but not a side visible turn signal light.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like a good idea. Think I'll mount them where Whinny installed the side marker lights. Maybe that will scare the little 4 wheelers that seem to lurk in my "blind spot" for miles on end. Our Itasca is also on a F Liner chassis but i can"t find wiring coiled up in the chassis. Anyone know where I might check??

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I'll be buying amber LED lights when I go to Walmart tomorrow. I'll install the front ones first. Seems easier than the rears. The wiring is more accessible (front turn lights on the fornt cap). Maybe, I put them just behind the wheels about the same height as the marker lights. I'm still trying to figure out how to secure the wiring.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #8
RLS
Winnebago Owner

Chief, The wires on my coach were located on the inside of the frame rails between the water tank and the rear axle. The wires were tied up to other wires and had a connector on the end, and if I recall correctly they also had some marking on the that indicated they were for side directional/marker lights.
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I figured on something like this:Clearance Light but probably local.
mis3s - let me know what you find at Wal-Mart, I haven't really looked there.
Also are there problems with adding LEDs to an incandescent system?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

On my '00 Journey (and now my '07) the front marker lights flash with the turn signals. You might check if that feature is already there (on the front marker light only).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:15 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Pusherman, thanks for the recommendation to check if front marker lights flash with turn signal. I'll do that first. I also check wiring diagram on the web. Looks like the front turn signals have the same wire color code as the front side markers. So you may be correct that the front markers flash with the signal ligths already. I'm still hesitant to drill holes on the body of our MH.

mickey53usa, our local Walmart only had regular side markers. I have not purchase any just yet. As far as adding LEDs to an incandescent system, the 3rd brake light is LED already. So, I think another one or two won't harm the system. Any take on this one, anyone.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Added side signal lights to the Adventurer last spring. Mounted just behind the front wheel opening so anyone along side the coach could easily see. Replaced the standard bulb with Dome light bulbs = BRIGHT. Also cut from a small mirror a piece of the mirror glass and glued behind the bulbs for a bright reflection. Now when I signal a turn, anyone along side reacts immediatly.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:04 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Logthumper: Good idea with the mirror pieces behind the bulb. I used spot mirrors behind my tail light bulbs and it improved the refectability 100%.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:28 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Added side signal lights to the Adventurer last spring. Mounted just behind the front wheel opening so anyone along side the coach could easily see </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Logthumper, how about some pictures?

Bruce
Old 11-09-2006, 09:33 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pusherman:
On my '00 Journey (and now my '07) the front marker lights flash with the turn signals. You might check if that feature is already there (on the front marker light only). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had been considering adding some side TS lights also. After reading your post, checked the wiring diagram and it showed the front marker lights connected to the turn signals.

Checked it and sure enough the front marker lights flash with the turn signals.

Maybe I can add those light fixtures I bought on the sides at the rear.....
Old 11-09-2006, 11:39 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Y'all got me curious...just went out and checked my 2005 Itasca Meridian. The front amber side markers and the amber markers on the arms for the mirrors flash with the turn signals.
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Pusherman, thanks for the tip on the front side marker lights. We went on a short trip this weekend. Before pulling out of the driveway, I had my children check if the front side marker lights were blinking with the signal lights. Sure enough they were. That saves me time and money on that project I do not have to do. On to the next project.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:03 PM   #18

I lost my awning awhile back and I am going to have it replaced with a manual "knee joint" style. and it mounts higher than the old A&E. Need to cover the old lower awning mounting holes. Thought of using just a reflector, but I am reading all these inputs on side turn lights. How high do they have to be. Could the reflectors I am planning to mount where the lower awning bracket use to be, be a good level for a side turn indicator??
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:03 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

mis3s, you're welcome. I hate doing more work than I need to! Glad to help.

My side markers (with the front flashing w/ turn signals) are mounted above the basement hinge point. The front markers are mounted on the front cap, about center in the cap (on the side). I would guess that the height of the lowe awning mounting holes would be fine.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:07 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I am sitting here reading this in awe!
I am new to this Forum but have been around the world of driving for a long, long time.
Have any of you folks ever heard about checking your lights before you drive away, daily, to make sure bulbs have not burned out???
Headlights, bright and dim; Four ways, all around; directionals;Stop lights, also called brake lights; ICC Clearence lights, all around.
Either the co-pilot is outside checking or you do a lot of in and out of your coach.
When I can I drive up to a wall and check the front lights and then turn around and back up to the wall and check the rear lights.
I hope if you do not now do these checks that you will begin to do so.
I am not trying to be a smart a$$ by posting this. Safety First!

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote