Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-07-2005, 10:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2005 Winnebago Brave RV and wonder about the inverter that people talk about buying at Costco. We wonder if we should install it in our RV before our trip next week. Do most of you do that (add a inverter) to your RV and is it a good idea, would love any input on this. I have a laptop computer and don't now if that is even what it is for. Thanks for any help.
Roy and Darlene
Darlene7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2005 Winnebago Brave RV and wonder about the inverter that people talk about buying at Costco. We wonder if we should install it in our RV before our trip next week. Do most of you do that (add a inverter) to your RV and is it a good idea, would love any input on this. I have a laptop computer and don't now if that is even what it is for. Thanks for any help.
Roy and Darlene
Old 06-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

The inverter can run 120 volt AC devices by converting 12 volt battery power to 120 VAC. Large inverters (which require big battery cables and lots of batteries) can run many things on a coach. Smaller inverters, like the kind mentioned, use smaller wiring and put out limited power. These are typically used for running the TV, VCR, and/or satellite receiver however, it can be used to run a laptop as well. If the only thing you want it for is the laptop, I'd consider getting a 12 volt car adaptor for the laptop but if you want to run some TV "stuff" then I'd look at an inverter.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Roy and Darlene,

If you are going to be camping only in commercial campgrounds, where you are plugged into electrical power, you probably don't even need an inverter - except for possibly using it on the road. If you're only interested in using your laptop, it's internal battery should support traveling use with a nightly recharge while plugged into commercial power.

If you decide you want an inverter, there are two ways to go. You can buy a non-installed version which looks like a small brick with a cord coming out one end that plugs into any 12v outlet. On the other end of the "brick" is a 120v outlet where you can plug in your laptop, tv, vcr, etc. This is by far the least expensive option and, since it is not hardwired into the RV, you can move it around within the RV or even take it with you in the car, if needed. These come in various power ranges, so if you elect to go this way, take a look at all the things you might want to power at the same time and add up their wattage requirements. Naturally, the more watts you need, the more it costs.

The other option is the completely integrated inverter that is mounted in the RV, wired directly to the battery bank, and tied into the coach's A/C system. These are bigger, more expensive inverters with associated installation costs. If you see a need for extensive inverter use, this is a more convenient, powerful option.

If you're not sure, you might try a plug-in unit first, since it doesn't require much investment, and then move up to a fully installed unit later - if you need it.

Good luck and enjoy!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Good advice from some of the Pros. We've use one for about 3 years and love our "big" Prosine 2000 watt inverter hard wired to our 3 (group 29)house batteries. When dry camping we use it early in the morning to run coffee pot, toaster, microwave, TV, satellite, CD, etc. during quiet hours. At night we save on propane and run our electric blanket when it's needed (requires a pure sine wave not a modified sine wave for a digital elect. blanket). We also use it to run our electric clock radios, charge cell phones, two way radios, camera, etc. etc. Grand kids use it to run the TV and Playstation or in-motion satellite while driving down the road.
In the past when dry camping I'd need to run the generator for 1+ hours to recharge each day. This brings up a very good point, one of the great advantages of an inverter/chager is the charging part. Mine has a 100 amp. charger as part of the inverter, so when you start the generator and elect to run the charger you are getting a great and powerful 3 stage charger.
All this comes at a price, about $2,000 for inverter, cables, and electrical sub-panel, installation is additional.
We love our inverter but if you don't dry camp a lessor apporach would seem to be in order. But what I've listed here is a practical example of how an inverter can be used.
Good luck.
Jim

Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

if we had to do it all again, we would have a small, 330 watt, inverter. we like to pull over in rest areas for small breaks and we could tune in to the tv if we'd like. we also boondock and rather than running the gen, which we do often as suggested, we could just use the inverter to watch tv. we do carry w/ us the 300 watt mentioned but earlier and plugg in our 9" tv to that but it gets to be aggrevating after a while with the wires etc. but i totally agree, try it first our way before installing so you will know for yourself.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:45 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Your laptop operates on about 12 volts DC. It has a DC battery of about 14.6
volts. The alternator on your RV puts out about 13.6 volts DC so a "straight
through" electrical adapter would be your most efficient and least costly
method of charging.

An inverter would step the 12 volt DC up to 120 volt AC and then your AC plug in for your laptop would reduce it back down to 14 or so volts DC and keep your
14.6 volt DC laptop battery charged. The converting uses extra power and over the life of your motorhome, you use about 1 extra teaspoon of gasoline.

Inverters are neat, you'll find all kinds of things to run off of it.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Not all laptops operate as described above. My Dell Inspiron 9300 requires 19.5 volts DC so a direct connection will not work.
ohiorvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:59 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Rich and Maggie,

You're correct. Thanks you.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Correct on the 19.5 volts, I have been running my laptop on a 350 W inverter plugged into the Cig Lighter for 4 years now. I run Street Atlas 2005 while driving down the road, no need to look at screen, voice tells me when and where the next turn is. Works great!

Bruce
Old 06-08-2005, 07:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Really want to thank all of you for your information on the inverter - am printing out this page and will take it with me, will also check my laptop for power needs. Again, thanks to all so much, this really makes it easy!!!
Roy and Drlene
Old 06-13-2005, 05:32 PM   #12
JHS
Winnebago Camper

Inverter/Charger
We use the inverter for microwave, coffee pot, tv and computer mostly, when power is not available. Tell me about the charger. Does it charge the house batteries or the engine batteries? Gather it is used only when running the generator, is that correct? No information provided on this.
JHS is offline   Reply With Quote