Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 07:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Should a surge protector be covered?

I have never used a surge protector but think it is a wise idea. For the type that attach to the post (not hard wired), it will leave the connection from the coach to the surge protector exposed to rain. Should it be covered and, if so, what do you use?
jewallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Progressive industries has a lifetime warranty. I modified my shore cord so the protector stays in the electrical bay. Split the electrical cord and put new male and female ends on it then plugged in the surge protector.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I also keep my Progressive portable in my bay. Power runs from my reel power cord to the Progressive, then I use my50amp extender cord to run from the bay to the post.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

So if I'm understanding correctly, you use an extension cord from the post to the surge protector? That way the surge protector can be locked inside the MH compartment. Does using an extension cord cause any issues?
jewallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewallace View Post
So if I'm understanding correctly, you use an extension cord from the post to the surge protector? That way the surge protector can be locked inside the MH compartment. Does using an extension cord cause any issues?
I've had no issues in 4 years. Now, be clear, this isn't an 'extension cord' as in something you'd buy at a hardware store for home use; it's a true 50amp extender cord, the same size and gauge as the built-in cord. Always had the extender (20'?) for those times where the built-in cord wouldn't reach, now I just put the progressive between the two and keep it in the bay.

The portable Progressive that I have is stated in the manual as "weather resistant but don't submerge it."

To be fair, I've never seen a posting where weather ruined one, nor have I ever seen someone post that stated one was stolen. Maybe either case happened, I've just not read about it. I just find it easiest to keep it in the bay, out of the elements and away from fingers.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I've been using a surge protector for about 5 years. No one has tampered with it. Once in a great while, the electrical connection post is too low to use the surge protector.

Since the connection with the power chord is usually exposed, if rain is forecast, I have an aluminum pie plate that I bend around the exposed joint. I also prop the joint off the ground if the electrical post is low to the ground. No problems so far.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I cover mine at the post. I used a boat seat cover. Cut a hole in the top and slid the surge protector in from the bottom, it covers the protector and keeps it dry.
magnumiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I put in a hard wired progressive

Old 07-30-2015, 07:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I am on my second Progressive 30a portable. The first I left hanging on a pedestal and drove off without it. The second now stays in the bay with an extension cable as described in posts above...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:07 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

The portable units are designed to be left out in the rain.. On the one I have (I got it basically free) I had to do some repairs. (Mine is the Surge Guard brand) IN opening the case I took note of the weather seal.. Very good one .. And made sure to re-seal it.

That said. It won't hurt to protect them.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:11 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I just hang my PI PT50C from the 50 amp socket on the pedestal. I have never covered it. I sometimes lock it. The only problem I've had is when the florescent light in my winter campground came on everyday at 4:30 pm. I fixed that by removing the florescent bulb from the fixture. The light was causing a high frequency error.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote