Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-29-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We arrived at the campground in Nashville for the holiday and hooked up to 50 amp service. Inside the coach the digital readout is saying 30 amp service, not 50. We had the campground check the power and it showed normal......

Shouldn't the meter show 50 amp if I am hooked up to 50 amp? The service tech at the campground said if I draw more power it will show 50. I don't recall that happening before.

Also, I can't remember but do the coach batteries (aux) switch need to be on (it's on the dashboard.) I must be getting old but I thought I turned off the coach batteries when I hooked up to shore power and once again the maintenance guy at the campground said it must be on or no power will go to the coach.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We arrived at the campground in Nashville for the holiday and hooked up to 50 amp service. Inside the coach the digital readout is saying 30 amp service, not 50. We had the campground check the power and it showed normal......

Shouldn't the meter show 50 amp if I am hooked up to 50 amp? The service tech at the campground said if I draw more power it will show 50. I don't recall that happening before.

Also, I can't remember but do the coach batteries (aux) switch need to be on (it's on the dashboard.) I must be getting old but I thought I turned off the coach batteries when I hooked up to shore power and once again the maintenance guy at the campground said it must be on or no power will go to the coach.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

A little info about your MH - Make (Winne I guess) Model, year etcc would help.

But it may be you have the same problem I - and others - had.

See my post here My post

And read it through - maybe it is your problem (and solution).

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

sorry,

I have a 2005 winnebago Journey
350 cat
Old 12-30-2006, 04:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

PHESPE,

I just read your entire post and it sounds like my same problem. I am on the road for 3 weeks, today is my first day on the trip. Everything on the coach seems to work fine right now even though it shows only 30 amps on the readout. I have contacted intellitec for advice but is this something that can wait or will I need to have a board sent and fix this on the road.

I'm not very "electrically" inclined so this is a bit foreign to me.......any advice would be appreciated.

I've checked all the breakers at the foot of the bed and tripped them all on and off, they are fine. Power to coach is fine. Power coming off the inverter is fine according to the tech that was here. Is this EMS board on the outside under the inverter cover? Is it something I can do?
Old 12-30-2006, 04:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jtharley:
PHESPE,

I just read your entire post and it sounds like my same problem. I am on the road for 3 weeks, today is my first day on the trip. Everything on the coach seems to work fine right now even though it shows only 30 amps on the readout. I have contacted intellitec for advice but is this something that can wait or will I need to have a board sent and fix this on the road.

I'm not very "electrically" inclined so this is a bit foreign to me.......any advice would be appreciated.

I've checked all the breakers at the foot of the bed and tripped them all on and off, they are fine. Power to coach is fine. Power coming off the inverter is fine according to the tech that was here. Is this EMS board on the outside under the inverter cover? Is it something I can do? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think anything will be hurt if you wait to get it fixed - it did not on mine.

It is a easy thing to replace - just put a label on each wire so you can get them all back on the correct place. It is in the breaker box (or very nearby) that's at the end of the bed. If you want to tackle it yourself I can send you a picture of mine (location etc)

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

thanks for all the input. I emailed the company and am hoping they will send me one when we reach St. Augustine and then I am going to attempt the fix.

I really appreciate it.

Jim
Old 12-31-2006, 04:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Question along these lines but different.

My Powerline display reads correctly, but the Xantrex display always shows 30amp input no matter what power I am on(50/30/Gen).

Is it setup to only receive 30amp even though there is a 50amp "light" for input supply?

'03 UA 40E
Old 12-31-2006, 05:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

McDuff -- the 30amp indicater on your Xantrec will at the most only show 30amps. I assume the 50amp indicator on the remote is for a much larger unit. Use the push button below the indicator to select how you want to limit the Xantrec (manual power sharing). For instance, if you're plugged into 20amp, you may want to select the 15amp position.

No expert here, but there is a possibility the 50amp service you're plugged into is not a true 50amp service. Your EMS detects 50amps the voltage differece between the two "hot" legs,which is 220V. When you use the 50-to-30 amp pigtail adapter the same phase power is applied to both legs, and hence there is 0 volts between the two legs. Your EMS shows this as 30 amp service. I'm betting the pedestal you're plugged into has the same phase on each of the two legs.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote