Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Shore power not charging batteries

How do you diagnose why our shore power is not charging our house batteries?We just put three new batteries in and had them fully charged. Now our shore power will not maintain our house batteries.
Dirtydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:06 AM   #2
aa1ssradio

You have a problem with your converter/inverter. Need to see why it is not putting out the 13.8 vdc needed to charge batteries and run coach.Could have gotten unplugged or tripped breaker or possibly it went bad.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Did it charge before the new batteries?
Old 10-25-2018, 08:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

There was a gentleman tried a lithium ion battery for us and when he put our old ones back in he hooked them up backward. Since them we have had issues
Old 10-25-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If your wiring is incorrect, that is the first place to look. If you have 12volt batteries, they should be wired in parallel with the positive lead to the first battery positive terminal, and the negative lead to the negative battery terminal on the last battery in Parallel. If this doesn't make sense, you should have it repaired professionally. Good luck
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your reply, however that is not the problem the batteries are wired correctly. Our concern is that some fuses to the inverter-charger may be blown.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

If the fuses are blown, you can replace them. Before you start, download the full manual including the install instructions for your inverter and determine the sizes and locations of the fuses. That should get you started. When the lithium battery was used, it might not initially have been connected with the proper polarity. That could blow fuses and even - though less likely - damage the inverter. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The lithium battery was connected correctly, but when they re-installed my old batteries that is when they switched the polarity. Before they finished making the connection they realized the mistake and corrected it. Damage already done so now I have replaced the 300amp. Fuse in the battery bay but still not charging and no control for heat or air. We have a Coleman Mach residential air control which is dead.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

You really need a multi meter (volt meter) and start measuring voltages, starting at the device which charges your batteries.

It would really be helpful if you gave us details about your RV, year, model; do you have a converter or and inverter/charger, etc.

As written by others earlier your charger should be putting out at least 13.4V.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

If the polarity was reversed, it is extremely difficult to predict what was impacted. Even though you might now have 12 volts present at a device, it may have been destroyed by the reversal. Looks like you are going to have to work your way thru the coach device by device. If a device doesn't work, it is highly likely that it will need to be replaced. Most devices with semiconductors can't withstand the reversal. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2004 Winnebago Vectra. Thanks for all the advice. We do have an electrical engineer coming to check it out tomorrow. Also the place of business where the guy worked that reversed the polarity is now aware of the problem and is working with us. Hopefully not everything needs to be replaced.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:07 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Most newer converters have a fuse on them to prevent damage from a reversed polarity have you checked it as well? Otherwise I would start at the converter and start measuring voltages. If it is bad at the converter itself and not the fuse the inverter was damaged as well.

The make and model of the converter would help so we can lookup the manual to see what it has.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I had the same issue and needed a new converter.
Keldog4511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:46 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

There’s a circuit breaker built in on my inverter.
Might look for that if it doesn’t have internal fuses.
jdkskyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:23 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

The OEM inverter/charger should have been a 2000W Quasi-Sine Wave (MSW) Dimensions unit. Here's a link to the Operator's Manual (for a perhaps slightly newer version of the unit).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

After talking to Dimensions technician and having them walk me through some more testing it has been determined my inverter/converter is stuck in conditioning mode. It needs to be replaced and they are sending me a new one. Thanks to all who responded and offered your help.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #17
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtydirt View Post
After talking to Dimensions technician and having them walk me through some more testing it has been determined my inverter/converter is stuck in conditioning mode. It needs to be replaced and they are sending me a new one. Thanks to all who responded and offered your help.
I'm quite sure the power converter being in "conditioning mode" will still charge the batteries, only much slower. I'm one for the obvious. Have you made sure the "battery disconnect" switch is not in the "off" position?
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

You may have fixed this by now but regardless, you mention earlier that somebody hooked up the batteries wrong. If that happens even for a heartbeat, it very likely will smoke the fuse on the converter/charger.
Mine is located under the bed in my Sightseer.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Is it possible that you may have a remote shutoff for your batteries that is in the off position?
Fotobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:33 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Thank you. Apparently it is the converter but I appreciate your reply. I never would think to look for something like that.

Kelly
Keldog4511 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, power, shore power