Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2005, 07:56 AM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

There has been a "Sticky" post on several RV forums for several months now, about a recall on a microwave oven... They were extremely dangerous..

was that recall on the SHARP brand microwave ?

John
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 08:49 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I was at our dealer's yesterday and saw the notice you are referring to... can't remember the make of micro/convection (think it was Samsung), but it wasn't Sharp.

Our's works fine, but must confess that I've only used the convection oven twice.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 09:08 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

We exercized our gennie today and I asked my wife to bake something so we could try the Sharp MW/Conv again.

When we turned off the electricity and turned on the gennie there really was no increase in the voltage. DW set preheat to 450 and it gave its "ding" that it was ready and the thermometer we stuck in the oven said 400 deg F. She put the buns in and the temp moved down to close to 350. We are going to test the thermometer in the oven and Conv oven at home in about 10 days.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:31 PM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dleslie125:
TJM - is it possible to find out what part needs replacing?
(snip)
Our dealer has not shown many signs of brilliance and it would be helpful to know which part needs replacement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Assuming that the power supply line is at or very near 120VAC, then it is possible that the unit has a bad or failing THERMISTOR, which is device that measures the temperature.

It's inside the oven on top of the chassis. Most do-it-yourselfers can replace these easily.

You do have to be careful when working on microwaves. They produce lethal voltages. For critical safety tips, see http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/safety.html

You can buy a thermistor through Tritronics. See http://www.wehaveparts.com for their retail portal.

Be careful out there.
Micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:34 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Dealer replaced the entire unit under warranty. We hope to test it shortly.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:11 AM   #26
Jim
Winnebago Owner

i am on my 2nd sharp convection oven..original was replaced under warranty because it could not get over 350..i talked to sharp and they mentioned the low voltage problem..said it could take 1/2 hour approx to get to 400..this one is no better..350 max and 15 min to get there if the rv is 80+ degrees..turning this around i would like to know if anyone has ever reached 400 and how long it took..i suspect these units ,when used in an rv, are not capable of performing as specified..thanks..
Old 08-15-2005, 05:09 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Jim, I think you are correct. We will test ours soon and I'll let you know if it can get hot enough.

Any idea what they call "low" voltage. With the hot weather and airconditioning demand the past few weeks our voltage has been 110 or less. It is a bit higher now but I have a feeling that it has to be closer to 120 to provide proper preheating.

Can anyone who has a GE Advantium (or whatever it is called - the option in the Vectra and Horizon) tell us how well it works. Given its price I hope it can preheat properly.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:40 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Don, I just checked my Sharp on preheat with a Taylor oven thermometer and it too does not reach temperature.
When asked to preheat to 325 it only got to 250. This was running on genny and voltage at 118. I am anxious to hear what your new one does. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:51 AM   #29
Winnie-Wise

We may be doing a test today and it will have to be with the gennie (which has to be run anyway for 2 hours) as our shore power is only 110 volts and my guess is that won't get us anywhere. If DW makes an attempt at baking today we will find out if we can ever count on the Convection feature.

Anyone with a GE going to comment on this?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:38 AM   #30
Winnie-Wise

Gennie running, with air and convection on 117 volts. Preheat set at 375 resulted in bell ringing (temp reached in theory) at 310 or so. She raised preheat to 425 and we got it up to about 390 when she decided to open and start baking. Will report on outcome at the end.

What I did learn was that the dealer ran the gennie for over 6 hours when it was in for service for almost 2 months. I guess that was in lieu of connecting to shorepower when working on it.

Getting a "new smell burn off" now as well.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:15 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

Just talked to a service tech at a Sharp repair vacility in Hampton, Va. He said he has seen about three convection ovens from Moho's and they all will not heat as they should. He can put them on his bench and they work fine. Says if you hook a convection oven to a extension cord it does the same thing. Defenitely has to do with voltage. Said it could be too small a wire running to the receptacle that the oven is plugged into from the panel in the coach. Oh well. Good Miles and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:08 AM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Well, it went WONDERFUL.

First, the cheese squares were great - and they did in a lot less time than we expected. When she said she thought they were ready I didn't believe her - she was right.

After they were done I suggested we try again to get the oven to 450 on preheat (since there are some things she will NOT do that I like unless it will go to 450). So, we set it to 450 preheat and off it went. Got to around 400 and bell went. We turned it off and started preheat again at 450. Had to do that another time but it made it to 450. Talk about happiness.

Well, she then dumped a pail of cold water on my head. She pointed out that we were not going to run the gennie in Florida every time she wanted to bake.

So, after we finished running the gennie and powered it down slowly, I said lets try it on shore power. Since she'd had enough for today she said "you do it if you want." Voltage when reconnected to shore power was 112 to 114. When I put the preheat on it dropped to 108ish. It must have take 20 to 25 minutes (I forgot to time it) but it went right to 450 and then the bell rang. Dear Wife was amazed. I was happy as a lark.

So, ichn2go, go out and try it again but if it shuts off preheat before the desired temp is reached, turn it on to preheat again and again and again and again. Hope it works for you too.

For us it seems to have ended well. (Fingers crossed.)