Old 11-07-2008, 06:14 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

This year at GNR the Dimensions inverter rep said do NOT use AGM/gel batteries with a Dimensions inverter. They are not set up to charge these batteries.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:42 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jdsr:
I may be wrong but did I read that gel or agm wont work with our converters? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Depends on your charger - what does your manual say? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I will have to check. I have what came as standard on a 2004 winn adv
Old 11-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

There is no real magic to the 6V/12V comparison. The 6V have fewer cell compartments, so it is easier to make the plates thicker. Thicker plates with more surface area to be exposed to the electrical charge.

That is the usual reason for going with 2 6V instead of 12V. That being said, as someone already mentioned, there may be some 12V out there that are as capable as a heavy 6V for holding a charge. And I am sure that there are also some manufactures that make some low end 6V that would be no better than an average 12V.

Its your choice.....

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Rice:
What would be the best (cheapest) source for AGM batteries? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Robert:

I bought mine from BDbatteries. With free shipping, they were very competetive.

http://www.bdbatteries.com/marinebatteries.php

BobD

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

i got my 2 lifeline 6v 300a batts from bd batteries in august. their price was better than i could get locally and included shipping.
one good thing about lifeline agm batteries is that you can install them on their sides. they require very little venting.
my batteries are 13 inches tall, 10.3 inches wide, by 7.1 inches and fit nicely in the original battery compartment on their sides. they weigh 90# each, almost twice the original battery weight.
if i could relocate the starting battery, there would be enough room in the battery box for 2 more.
the problem is the weight and the price.
so far, my lifelines are working well.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the info...I don't know if they are AGM or lead acid sealed units. The Interstate guy let me know that the sealed batteries are subject to haveing H2 gas seep from the seals if to heavy of a volyage (14 v +) was applied and therefore may lower the effectiveness of the battery. I guess I'll have to find the time to go out and get the "name and type" of battery and then give you guys another shot at this.

Sorry for being so dumb on this issue but working seven jobs keeps me busy and i don't have a lot of time to research. MH is used as a travling office. When it stops my brain goes into a crashing meltdown.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:57 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Don't think you're being dumb. What should be simple seems more complicated and confusing every time I look into the subject.

Recently went through the process of which type of battery for the 35J. In the end, I cleaned up the current batteries (they tested perfect), cleaned up all the corrosion (from previous owners) and monitoring for excessive gasiness.

As for the converter, the manufacturer said the AGMs could be charged, with a caveat. The converter does not limit the amount of current going to the battery to the 10 amps specified by Optima. Also stated no converter did. I don't know, just what I was told.

Enjoy.