Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2016, 09:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Satellite TV question

Trying to get some input on what service to use for satellite. Currently the coach has a Nomad II box and the dish on the roof -noticed there are a couple remotes with DISH and Directv on them - curious as to what others are running for satellite tv
JourneyWinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I'm running DirecTV. I have a standard definition satellite box in the RV (have not made the upgrade to Hi def in the RV yet). It used to be in the house until I upgraded my home service to Hi def. We have traveled all over the US and have not had any problems hooking up to the 101 satellite. It should be noted that beyond a given mile radius from home, we don't get our local home area channels.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Dish here, in the Motorhome and the studs and stucco both. If you have dish in the house it's just $7 / month for additional receiver in the coach. Dish also has a pay as you go service that can be started and stopped as desired.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Dish here, in the Motorhome and the studs and stucco both. If you have dish in the house it's just $7 / month for additional receiver in the coach. Dish also has a pay as you go service that can be started and stopped as desired.
Same here. Very happy with Dish so far. The pay as you go was not economical for us so we switched the Dish to the house and now the RV is $7 / month. Like most large companies, the customer service is spotty at best. But we don't have to deal with them much thank goodness.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

DirecTV here. Standard def with 2 box's.

Home type box in MH with self aiming King dome or walk out tripod.

12 volt box in boat with in motion dome.

Both on sticks and bricks account, long since sold.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

DirecTv.

I have had them in the house for many years.

When on the road, I call and change my service address and then get local channels but can get basically the same by cranking up the over the air antenna.

I pay an additional $6 per month for the coach.

I have a Wingard Traveler dish - works great.

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We been using DirecTV for over 5yrs. without any problem. Since we're full time all I did was take one of my dtrs. HiDef boxes and hooked it up in the coach. And surprisingly we've been getting the Wash.D.C. local stations from northern Maine to where we are now in Myrtle Beach, SC.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We use Dish, but one advantage to Direct is that their satellites are higher in the North America sky, often making it easier to get a signal in wooded areas.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have used Dish for three years. We use the pay as you go rv package as we can't get service at home due to trees. We also take it to our cabin in summer. As stated just call when we move and they change the local service. Has worked great. Our travels are out west.
Word of caution. If someone is home and you have service there and you change local service they won't get the locals.

We currently don't use it enough to save money going full time with it.
jazzerjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Directv would be your best choice. You only need to access the 101 satellite. You may have to upgrade the firmware on the Nomad II.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyWinn View Post
Trying to get some input on what service to use for satellite. Currently the coach has a Nomad II box and the dish on the roof -noticed there are a couple remotes with DISH and Directv on them - curious as to what others are running for satellite tv
I found this video helpful. It goes through all providers and equipment.

Satellite Options for RVs
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I had multiple customer service problems with Dish. I had Dish Pay as you go. The last straw was when I called to stop the service. They refunded me what was remaining on my account. Next month I receive a bill. I call them to say I stopped the service and they confirmed they gave me a refund but had no record of the stop.??? Huh? Yes but why the refund then? They would not correct the bill so I dropped them.

Now have Direct TV. They are great.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Love directv. Have used it for 15 years. HD with Winnegard Traveler. As another said we change service to change for locals. They are always friendly and cooperative.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Have Direct SD at home, just take two of the receivers when we go. No problems with it.
The Magna came with two Direct HD receivers but I haven't bothered to activate them as my bill is already too high and it went up $30 this month and I didn't make any changes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:19 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Sat 101. 3 services
Dish (both SD and HD)
DirecTV (SD)
DirecHDTV (HD/SD)

Dish uses 2 sats for SD and 3 for HD. of course each station is on just one sat. but if you have a DOME type antenna. You can only see one sat at a time.. Some domes can switch between 2 or 3 satellites (most modern ones) under receiver control.. not sure about the nomad.

But this means you will be most happy with a SINGLE channel receiver like the VIP-211 line.. Dual channel Receiver/DVR combos and multiple receivers do not work well with a dome. Often need to see two different birds at one time and simply can not do that.

DirecTV, uses one sat, works with domes, SOME domes support multi-channel reception (DUAL output domes) That is all.

DirecHDTV will not work with domes, period, no HD, SD only.

DISH type antennas... You must have a dish that matches your service and receiver... Dish type antennas work period, one receiver 2,3,4 more (With the proper digital switch) Whatever service you have the PROPER dish works.

Rooftop mount v/s tripod

Rooftop mounts are great. Push a button (in most caSes) they lock on and work.. BUT if you are under the evil signal eating tree.. NO JOY

Ground mount is a lot more work, You have to set it up, point and shoot (Aim) and then it works.. And what is more you can set it out from under the evil signal eating tree in many cases.

As I recall the NOMAD was from a company no longer in business. but RF MOGUEL (Google and correct my spelling) may have info on it.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:46 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I have DISH, as it was the best choice for house. Hopper/Joey used coax to broadcast HD throughout the house.

So in RV I have DISH w/ HD @ $7/month (pay as you go). Installed KD Rover, 1 sat at a time with a VIP 211. One time fee ($40) added a 1TB drive for DVR. Also have a Tailgator if dome is without signal, (have used up to 100ft additional coax if needed).

Change service address 4-5 times annually, no issues.

Only 1 channel can be watched at a time in RV with VIP 211 receiver. Not a big deal for us, but for heavy TV watchers may need updated equipment.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #17
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Direct has been working fine since 02. When I travel I remove it from my home and take it along works fine Canada to Florida and west to Iowa. I do not have the hd option. I get NY & NJ news if I want local info I use the crank up antenna.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
Direct has been working fine since 02. When I travel I remove it from my home and take it along works fine Canada to Florida and west to Iowa. I do not have the hd option. I get NY & NJ news if I want local info I use the crank up antenna.
Yours and mine work that way because our local area is the NYC area. We get DNS channels.

Channel 7 ABC is also Channel 396. When in the NY area, 7 works, when in FL. I use 396.

I moved my service to PA and lost the networks. A few days later I moved it back to Toms River NJ.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite, satellite tv