Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Satellite TV

We have a 2012 Winnebago Journey 36M, Just purchased a Dish Tailgater package. Installed it today and can't get reception on the Bedroom TV or the Outside TV, The front and living room work good.
Any ideas ?
Old 12-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Splitters can destroy the signal.
But, how are you connecting them? Remember you either need a receiver for each TV or a Dish hopper and slave units, or the DirecTV alternative.
You cannot generally run more than one receiver from a single coax input either.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

It depends on how you have it wired.

Assuming you have a VIP211k receiver, the receiver has 2 outputs; 1) HD via the HDMI out, and 2) a coaxial SD output. I'm guessing you only have it hooked to the front TV via the HDMI.

Does your coach have one of those video switch boxes? Not sure if Winnie was still using them in 2012. If so, run coax out from the VIP211k sat receiver box to AUX in into the video switch box, assuming it's currently not used. You can then view standard definition (SD) on both the middle and bedroom TV with those TV's sources selected on AUX in the video switcher.

If you don't have the video switcher, you will have to get a HDMI switcher (which your coach may already have ?), run the sat input into the HDMI switch, with 3 outputs to each TV. P.S. That's a lot of HDMI cable to run to the back TV, but it's possible. I did it on my coach.

If your coach already has a HDMI switcher in it, there should be some sort of auxiliary input for your satellite input. It then should provide signal to all TV's. Run the HDMI output from your sat box to the aux or sat input on this switch.

As I said in the beginning, it depends on how you currently have the satellite box wired, and how (and if) HD is distributed through your coach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

There is always a chance that if you call DISH and explain what you want to do and maybe they just might send a Tec. out to help you out.
I have Direct T.V. and I had a problum like that and they sent a Tec. to help me connect to my T.V. in the back bedroom.
You might want to check it out first.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I would NOT recommend having a Dish or DirecTV technician touch the wiring inside your coach. They have no clue on how coach AV is wired and distributed, and almost in all cases, screw up the wiring. They for sure get the satellite working, but OTA, park cable, etc. will suffer.

I've seen this happen more than once.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I have a Tailgater and after weeks of frustration found that it MUST connect directly to the receiver - as in run the cable through a window and connect it. I even changed out the motorhome coax connections but no dice. The signal fro the TG is so low that it wont stand the trip across a barrel connector. Thats what the manufacturer told me. Been going direct cable and no problems at all. Good luck with it!

Bill
Pjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

If you're using the external satellite input, it probably only feeds the one receiver in the living room. A rooftop antenna typically feeds both locations.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I'm new t this as well so take this all with that in mind.
You cannot use the "Cable" input for satellite because there is a splitter in line and the receiver will not control or communicate with the dish, splitter prevents this.
The "Satellite" input is just an extension cable from the wet bay to the inside of the coach.
I'd ask the manufacturer again about that barrel connector. That loss us usually pretty insignificant, not like a splitter at all. I have seen external dishes connected with two 25 foot cables connected with a barrel connector and going to the Sat connector in the wet bay. I have found no need for this yet but it seems to work for them.
Saxton, are your TVs all HDMI or do they use coax?
In my case all TV inputs are via HDMI switches in the bedroom; no coax to any TV.
I use two 211Z receivers, one for the LR and one for the bedroom (my Trav'lr antenna and Pathways X2 both have two feeds) the receiver out connects to the switches via HDMI. I use an A/B switch to change between dishes. The outside TV is controlled by the LR TV receiver and I use an RF to iF converter when outside.
Disclaimer: I did not connect this up on my own, Nick Brewer at Red Bay set this all up and it works perfectly.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjoe View Post
I have a Tailgater and after weeks of frustration found that it MUST connect directly to the receiver - as in run the cable through a window and connect it. I even changed out the motorhome coax connections but no dice. The signal fro the TG is so low that it wont stand the trip across a barrel connector. Thats what the manufacturer told me. Been going direct cable and no problems at all. Good luck with it!

Bill
If your coach has a separate input for satellite, it should be fine to connect the tailgater to the port in the utility bay. Otherwise you will need to install a satellite connection for the antenna. Generally you cannot connect to the cable port.

Ken
Old 12-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

More Info

Thank you all for your replies, here is some information that was not stated earlier, we have a cable and satellite hookups in the storage bay, also have a switch in the front for Sat/ cable/ air for front, bedroom and outside tv's. the tailgater came with a 211Z receiver.
Hope this will narrow it down.
Thanks
Old 12-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The front TV is working ok per the OP original post. So the problem is not getting signal from the Tailgater to the reliever. The problem is with the connection of the televisions to the outputs of the receiver.

As was commented it depends on how you have the TVs connected. Often the outside TV and the bedroom TV are connected to the Box of many switches via the same output with a splitter inline to feed both TVs. Another output from the box of many switches to the front TV. Man output of the receiver connected to an input of the box of many switches.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxton View Post
Thank you all for your replies, here is some information that was not stated earlier, we have a cable and satellite hookups in the storage bay, also have a switch in the front for Sat/ cable/ air for front, bedroom and outside tv's. the tailgater came with a 211Z receiver.
Hope this will narrow it down.
Thanks
The VIP211Z does not have any coax output for SD viewing. It has a HDMI for High Def and RCA outputs for Standard Def viewing. Therefore you cannot use the old fashioned video switcher with all the buttons on it which uses standard coax for inputs and outputs.

Your coach must be distributing to your mid-ship TV via the RCA outputs, and possibly the front TV is connected via the HDMI. You can figure this out easily by looking at the back of the sat receiver to see which ports are being used.

I am assuming the 2012 Winnie is using a video switcher using the RCA connections. Per your description it should power all 4 of your TV's, but obviously it's not.

Best way is to get a HDMI switch to power all 4 of your TV's. You will have to run HDMI cables from the HDMI switch to each of your 4 TV's. Big job, but it's doable, and that's how they're wiring the new high end coaches, providing HD signal to all TV's. Since the Tailgator can only support 1 satellite receiver, this is your only choice if you want satellite HD to all 4 sets.

Give Winnebago Tech Support a call and describe your problem to them. They will tell you immediately if there is existing cables in place to run all 4 TV's via the RCA connections or the HDMI connections.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-22-2013, 03:15 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

When in doubt go to the drawings. They are available on line from Winnebago. Not being able to actually see your setup and any changes that were made to it, it's possible that you don't have the correct things selected on the HDMI switchbox and or the other TV's. Look into that and see what you get. Also does regular cable work to all the TV's? How about over the air TV? These are things that will help with trouble shooting the Dish SAT TV problem.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

If you read the specs on the Dish Tailgater, you will see where it powers only ONE receiver, not multiple. If you want multiple receivers powered, you need a different dome, either the Winegard Carryout or the Winegard Pathway X2...or a second Tailgater.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

There are 2 solutions to this problem. Run about 50 feet of HDMI cable, and get a HDMI splitter. Or.... Do it the easy way. I have a tailgater a and the 211 receiver. I used a wireless HDMI system, $239 at Best Buy. Its made by Actiontec. The tailgater uses the receiver to give it a 12v current to auto tune the dish.
I have a older Rv, and I CANNOT do anything but hook the receiver directly to the tailgater. The cable wiring and bomb box will not support the signal.

I love the actiontec, it also allows me to switch the channels with the remote from the bedroom. Just please note, you can't watch 2 different channels at same time though.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Saxton, look at the drawing in the link below page 3 sheet 2. Looks like you only need to run a composite video cable from the sat receiver to the video switcher.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_178631.pdf
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
If you read the specs on the Dish Tailgater, you will see where it powers only ONE receiver, not multiple. If you want multiple receivers powered, you need a different dome, either the Winegard Carryout or the Winegard Pathway X2...or a second Tailgater.
Great catch there, I missed the opening line about being a Dish Tailgater. yes, all TV's must be lined up to the Dish box output to receive SAT TV and they all will see the same channel. this works OK for some but I could not use such a setup because the DW and I don't always watch the same thing. You will need another Dish Tailgater and SAT TV box to receive different programing on another TV.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

As stated earlier the 211z does not have an RF modulator built in to generate your channel 3 or 4 output. You can get a modulator at Walmart for around $20. Connect it to the A/V output (Yellow-Red-White) and then attach coax from modulator to your switch box. You will not have HD, but you can use the existing wiring to distribute the TV signal.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite, satellite tv