Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Satellite Dish on top of coach

My fairly new to me 2007 Journey came with a factory installed Kingdom satellite dish on top which I'm told has a Dish network dish in it. I have direct TV at home and want to take a receiver from home to the mh. Is it possible or has anyone tried to take the dome off and replace the dish network dish with the direct tv dish so everything is compatible.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You should be able to go to the Kingdome (King Controls) web site, look up the manual for your model of dome, and find the instructions to re-program the dish from DISH to DirecTV.

You may be able to re-program it by hitting the control buttons in a specified sequense, or use a keypad that plugs into the control box. I was able to re-program my dome from DirecTV to DISH, and it worked fine.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The only thing you should have to change is the LNB from the Direct to the Dish satelitte and then find your satilitte as Dish coordinates are different from Direct
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I have the KIng Dome with Direct TV, when I purchased the coach the dealer just made some adjustments and all works fine.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Journey39n - I am in the process of doing the same thing. How did you "re-program" your dish? I have found instructions on how to change the elevation by pressing the ON/SEARCH button below. Is this what you did?

SWITCH ACTION ------STATUS LIGHT
Momentarily press ON/SEARCH and release. Turns orange for 1
second then flashes
red and/or Green

Momentarily press ON/SEARCH and release
for a total of:

8 Times for 27 degree Rapidly flashes red &Green
12 times for 37 degree Rapidly flashes red &Green
16 times for 47 degree Rapidly flashes red &Green
20 times for 55 degree Rapidly flashes red &Green

Press ON/SEARCH and HOLD for 3 seconds. Turns orange then back to
red or green

Press OFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey39n View Post
You should be able to go to the Kingdome (King Controls) web site, look up the manual for your model of dome, and find the instructions to re-program the dish from DISH to DirecTV.

You may be able to re-program it by hitting the control buttons in a specified sequense, or use a keypad that plugs into the control box. I was able to re-program my dome from DirecTV to DISH, and it worked fine.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hey guys! You can get a lot of good info on this site/blog, but the best thing is go to Kingdome!!! Tell them what model you have, even ask them to find the model number if you need to. I had a Kingdome on my Holiday Rambler several years back and all I had to do was change some dip switches under the dome to switch from Dish to Direct. The manufacturer is an excellent source for info!

Hope all turns out well.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

It may be different with different models, but I had to go to a Kingdome dealer and have them connect a Kingdome instrument to convert mine from Direct to Dish. NO parts were changed, just a re-program.

WBGO set the antenna default to Direct, and the conversion was necessary because I wanted the "pay as you go" pricing plan offered only by Dish. I think the conversion took about an hour and cost me ~ 100 bucks.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I called Kingdome and they "loaned " me the programmer ($200? deposit). When the programmer arrived, I called Kingdome and they talked me thru the process. I returned the programmer and they returned my deposit.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Easiest way is to reprogram using the "official" Kingdom programmer as UFO Pilot mentions. I had the same issues, an had a local satellite programer use his programmer for me. The Kingdom box in the overhead cupboard has a front cover, remove it and you see a "phone" like plug..this is the programmer plug for changing between Satellite providers.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
The only thing you should have to change is the LNB from the Direct to the Dish satelitte and then find your satilitte as Dish coordinates are different from Direct
No, the LNB is the same. DirecTV uses a different band (Ka) for HD, but the same band as Dish for SD.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satellite