Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Are you sure that there aren't 2 RG6 cables up there?

Yes, I'm sure. My unit comes stock with 18 round crank with the single LNB. 1 cable. I replaced the LNB and the inclination sensor in 2008ish.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsm View Post
I should add - when you take off the tub and surround, the TV is still solidly mounted, so don't worry about it coming out prematurely. The rest of the removal is pretty obvious when you get to that point...
OK, Thanks! I will get to it when our snow melts.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimectrin View Post
A great source of the best cable is from a Direct or Dish installer that you see running around town. When I chased one down he gave me cable and also gave me a new LNB that had dual output. I ran two cables and now have two feeds into my DVR. The LNB was a direct fit with the Winegard dish. Note above to be sure and use the correct calk is very good advice.
Got it. Your using 2 LNB's on your 18 round winegard?
Old 02-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #24
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanan View Post
Got it. Your using 2 LNB's on your 18 round winegard?
Your Winegard 18" dish is built for just one LNB. However, the original LNB only had provisions for one coax connection. You can replace the LNB with one that has provisions for two coax connections. While you have it apart run a second coax connected to the LNB into the coach for future use.
I ran a second cable on ours (see sig.). Way easier than I was expecting. Actually just pushed the second cable in from the roof down .... no problems. The hardest part of the job was getting the seal plate off on the roof. The sealer / adhesive they used was good stuff. Good luck
Old 02-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Yes my 18" Winegard is supporting two (2) feeds via a single head LNB that I was given by a Direct TV installer. Just took the old LNB out inserted the new one, attached the cables and it was good to go. No adjusting anything. In fact I could not tell a difference between the old and new LNB except the number of connectors. Nice if HD could be achieved as easy.

And Yes I was surprised it was that easy and worked. Not my usual experience!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimectrin View Post
Yes my 18" Winegard is supporting two (2) feeds via a single head LNB that I was given by a Direct TV installer. Just took the old LNB out inserted the new one, attached the cables and it was good to go. No adjusting anything. In fact I could not tell a difference between the old and new LNB except the number of connectors. Nice if HD could be achieved as easy.

And Yes I was surprised it was that easy and worked. Not my usual experience!
Could you clarify further? From what it sounds like you are feeding two separate receivers that are locked onto only one of either the 110 or 119 satellites at a time. You are unable to receive both at the same time without introducing the 'skew' into the equation. Is that a correct assumption?
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

I think my DVR has two receivers in one box. I have two coax going into it. I am able to receive each channel that I pay for and the preimun channels on the free week ends. Beyound that my understanding is less then ideal.

When we had Dish we had to change the dish each time depending on what we wanted to watch. With Direct TV we do not have to do anything. We set it up using the coordinants for 110 and we are good to go. Am I missing some content by not looking at 119? There may a whole new world out there I did not even know about. I do not understand 'skew' so have never done anything about it.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

There is a fairly good chance the cable only goes as far as the roof, and there is a coupler there.. HOWEVER that said, there is also a fairly good chance it's a single cable all the way to the receiver.. Alas, I have no way to predict from here.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There is a fairly good chance the cable only goes as far as the roof, and there is a coupler there.. HOWEVER that said, there is also a fairly good chance it's a single cable all the way to the receiver.. Alas, I have no way to predict from here.
My previous coach was a 2003 Journey DL. The coax from the dish was one piece from the dish to the connector in the DS overhead compartment.

Once the TV is removed, pulling new cable is VERY easy.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

OK, so the fix is done. Finally had the RV out for 1st trip of the season (snow does not melt till April up here in NY!). As a number of you posted - with good, useful info - under the cap there was an existing connector to the sat cable - it was tucked in about 6 inches back under, but there was plenty of slack to pull it out, and remove the old rotted cable right off the barrel connector - no need to cut it or splice it. The existing cable under the roof was in great shape - looked brand new. Also, the installation of that cap by Wini was very solid and sealed tight. There was the factory sealer over the top - some type of urethane sealant that was some work to get off. It was a good 1/4 to 3/8 in thick, and while it looked pretty beat up from above, when cutting into it to get to the (10) screws on the cap, I was surprised by how good of shape that sealer was in - it was still very pliable and perfectly white and flexible on the inside - good for a 12 yr old MH that has had its life outside - since that stuff is all over the top sealing everything else - it is good to know that Wini is using some quality materials.

So I connected the new jumper cable to the LNB zip tied it up to the control wire, sealed up the hole with new clear silicon rubber, put the cap back on with the 10 screws. I had enough silicon in there that some squeezed out the sides. Note that the cap is also sealed to the RV roof by some type of "tar like" black sticky stuff. That stuff was fully reusable and in good shape. After the screws were down, I then siliconed over the top with about 1/4" layer of the stuff and fixed it with the sat dish partially up to dry for 24 hours. Job went better than expected - such a surprise since most projects turn out taking more time, not less than expected. So its all done, but I have noticed that the control wire is taking a UV beating as well, so I'm going to put both the rj6 and wire cable bundle in a protected cover to take the elements better, and to protect it from next time I might catch a tree branch or something.

Again, thanks for everyone who replied. That little 18 in round dish is back in action. Maybe in couple years I will replace the whole thing and upgrade to HDTV and put a DVR in the coach, but since we are only weekend warriors, we can live with standard def on the weekend from DTV.

Thanks.

Tags
replace, replacement, satellite