Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Safe-T-Alert RV Propane Alert

Hello!

We just (literally 3 weeks ago) bought a 2018 Winnebago Vista and the propane detector alarm just began giving us issues. We took the motor home for a weeklong stay at the beach and everything was fine. But once we cleaned it up and put it away, the propane alert started being finicky. Which is weird because the propane bottle is off! It is flashing red/green which I think is telling me it’s a low voltage issue. But the coach batteries are showing fully charged. When the coach is off we don’t hear anything. But I started it up two days in a row to clean and to tinker with some other things, and each time as soon as the coach started up, the propane alert started with its red/green low voltage malfunction beeping. Anyone else experience this? Or have any ideas how to stop it? Not sure if it’s just a coincidence or not but both times when I unscrewed the device from the wall it instantly stopped the beeping. I am quickly losing faith in our local camping world service department so I’m hoping you all will be able to help us! Please?

Thank you in advance for your wisdom and guidance!
Timeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just had same kinda problem on my truck camper, propane alarm kept coming on turned every thing off and un hooked bottles no change this went on for a while one morning went into camper smelled rotten egg smell ,battery had went bad or over charged,sensor was detecting sulfer from battery,my thought is when you start up alternator puts out charge and over charges battery enough to omit smell.my battery was close to sensor.
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Do you really think a battery smell would infiltrate that quickly?

Have you checked the detector against a different one?
Or maybe a portable one?
It sounds faulty.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I don't know how quickly it can detect anything just stating my experience and thought.
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We had a similar issue with alarm going off in middle of the night for a minute and then would stop, after a couple of times, took out and called number on back.
They gave us a R/A number and told us to ship to them and they would test and replace and takes about a week. We had bought it in May of last year.
Will see what they say.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:07 PM   #6
Winnie Vectra Full Timer

You mentioned you cleaned it. Some things I have found that sets ours off......paint, nail polish remover, bug spray. Just a thought.....
TenMillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:24 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:35 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

These things also detect flatulence from the dog, the cat and the owners and guests. They also can be defective and false alarm for no reason which might be your case.

Check your batteries, check for propane leaks, tell the dog not to lay next to it, and if it still alarms, have your dealer replace it.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I believe the propane detector is also the carbon monoxide detector. When you say the coach is running I assume you mean the engine which would make think exhaust is getting into the interior somehow.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Lightbulb

I agree with old_engineer I to have had my engine and or generator running and have set off my propane alarm, especially if I have any of my storage compartment doors open as well. My wife also bought one of those plug-ins by Glade and put it in the outlet right next to the propane alarm and set it off, I moved it to the bathroom and turn down the smell (top turns to close or open) reset the alarm and all was well.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Had same issue 2 bad coach batteries replaced them problem solved
Filmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:58 AM   #12
2004 Minnie 29B

This is a typical Propane alarm malfunction statement (specifically for SAFE-T-ALERT 35-742)
MALFUNCTION/SERVICE SIGNAL If any malfunction is detected, the
Gas LED will remain off and the Operational/CO LED will alternate
Red/Green and the alarm will sound once every 15 seconds. Press the
Test/Mute button. If the Test/Mute button does not clear the signals, check
the battery voltage. If the battery voltage is not low and the unit will not
return to normal operation, immediately remove the alarm and return
for service or warranty replacement. See the warranty section in this
manual.

I think your clue is that when you remove from its wall mounting it works ok. Seems you have a wiring problem. Check the wires, connectors, and crimps. Pull on the wires at their connecting points (and at crimps). See if the problem occurs (or goes away if alarming). It could be a defect in the wire itself causing an increase in resistance. Twisting and pulling on the wire should indicate if there is a problem. Look to see if there is damage to the wiring insulation. It could be shorting out when it is mounted. Is there a screw that is shorting out the wiring?
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:38 PM   #13

You are under warranty. Let the dealer fix it. Keep after them. Be the squeaky wheel.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Had a RV tech tell me an interesting story. He kept getting called back to a rig for this very same problem. Never could find the unit faulty. Then one day he walked into the rig and saw the dogs bed next to the alarm. It turned out that the dog would "gas" during the night and set off the alarm. lol
Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #15

That’s why I have a cat!
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane