Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2015, 07:51 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

When it comes to the RV Consumer's Group comments re motorhomes I rate their comments right up there with the statement:"100% of smokers die".(A truer statement was never made.)
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, folks, for all the good info. BTW, I did weigh completely empty except for me, so subtract 220# from the front axle and we'll add that back later when we calculate our full weight. I shall print and use all of your input when loading for a longer trip and stay.

Now then ... Originally, I only wanted to let KatieVL know that there are things that can be done to improve the handling, feel, and safety of her RV; I did not mean to go off topic on my own current situation. I am truly sorry for the interruption.

So, may we please go back to specifically addressing the original OP's circumstance? I'm sure she would appreciate some assistance with her situation as well.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
Thanks, folks, for all the good info. BTW, I did weigh completely empty except for me, so subtract 220# from the front axle and we'll add that back later when we calculate our full weight. I shall print and use all of your input when loading for a longer trip and stay.

Now then ... Originally, I only wanted to let KatieVL know that there are things that can be done to improve the handling, feel, and safety of her RV; I did not mean to go off topic on my own current situation. I am truly sorry for the interruption.

So, may we please go back to specifically addressing the original OP's circumstance? I'm sure she would appreciate some assistance with her situation as well.
I hope we have not lost her. KatieVL please come back. We all apologize.

Rick Y
Old 04-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #24

In my experience, their recommendations for minimum wheelbase ratio are spot on. You can buy a coach with an inferior ratio and mod the suspension, watch your loading and keep an eye out for passing trucks, or, you can heed their advice and have carefree relaxed driving without having to worry about such things. I've driven coaches with high ratios and they drive just like big cars, not old log trucks. Choice is yours.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:45 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

I'm still here. Just letting the side conversation to run its course. As I read further into the Consumer Group ratings, they made across the board ratings for all RV's made by a manufacturer by viewing one coach only. I call that lazy Bull..... They charge us a good money for half-baked reviews.

So, that being said, I purchased a "poorly rated" 2015 Itasca Meridian 36M. I traded in a 2008 Meridian that was 39 feet long that took both hands to drive. The new Meridian is two feet shorter and drives like a dream. I think the Maxim Chassis makes a huge difference by dropping the center of gravity.

In my opinion RV Consumer group is just another way to part some money from new RV buyers and not a useful tool in distinguishing the true merits of a coach.
KatieVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:32 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieVL View Post
I'm still here. Just letting the side conversation to run its course. As I read further into the Consumer Group ratings, they made across the board ratings for all RV's made by a manufacturer by viewing one coach only. I call that lazy Bull..... They charge us a good money for half-baked reviews.

So, that being said, I purchased a "poorly rated" 2015 Itasca Meridian 36M. I traded in a 2008 Meridian that was 39 feet long that took both hands to drive. The new Meridian is two feet shorter and drives like a dream. I think the Maxim Chassis makes a huge difference by dropping the center of gravity.

In my opinion RV Consumer group is just another way to part some money from new RV buyers and not a useful tool in distinguishing the true merits of a coach.
Thank you for your patience with the enthusiasm of us posters. Your observation about your original reason for being here is a very good one. Driving is one experience that is personal and what you learned through it is much more valuable than any opinion by the unknowing.

Freightliner has a good team of engineers working with the coach manufactures. Your statement validates their success.

This is my third Freightliner Custom Chassis. This new to me coach is the best of them all. The only common fault I have found is with the steering. They all have had a pull. My first coach was a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery with a 'I' beam front axle. Next was a 2005 Winnebago Vectra with IFS. Now I am back to the 'I" beam. On this one I added a Blue Ox TruCenter steering assist. That solved the problem. Now I have little or no pull and the coach tracks well.

Consumer groups aside, sharing what we experience is the best. Katie, thanks for discovering and sharing your firsthand knowledge with us.

Happy trails,
Rick Y