Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2016, 11:09 AM   #1

RV Comfort zc zone 2 heat gone

I have a RV Comfort.zc 8330B331 3 zone thermostat. 3 ACs, Zone 1 and 2 are heatpumps, Zone 1 and 2 are separate gas furnaces.

I've lost Zone 2 electric and gas furnace (nothing shows except the zone number and temp), but I still have Zone 2 AC. I tried the fuse pull for 15 minutes and restart, but did not fix it.

Any thoughts? - if I lost both AC and heat pump I would understand the AC being a problem, but its weird to still have AC, but no heat pump or furnace.

I'm headed to the roof!
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a similar problem with my thermostat in my 2012 40U. With the setting on Roof air it will also call for the LP gas furnace to come on at the same time. I suspect a new thermostat is in order.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
I have a RV Comfort.zc 8330B331 3 zone thermostat. 3 ACs, Zone 1 and 2 are heatpumps, Zone 1 and 2 are separate gas furnaces.

I've lost Zone 2 electric and gas furnace (nothing shows except the zone number and temp), but I still have Zone 2 AC. I tried the fuse pull for 15 minutes and restart, but did not fix it.

Any thoughts? - if I lost both AC and heat pump I would understand the AC being a problem, but its weird to still have AC, but no heat pump or furnace.

I'm headed to the roof!

Did you check the mid ac breaker to see if it tripped?

When your looking at the thermostat displaying zone 2 push the mode button a bit harder.

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I had the same issue earlier this year. I called RV Comfort and their tech walked me thru the steps to reset the thermostat so that it would read all the zones again. They were very helpful on the phone. You might try and give them a call.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

To reset the thermostat , pull the fuse inside , wait a few minutes and reinstall as I recall.
You may have florescent interference or other 12 volt fixtures. Here's a thread on something called a choke filter that clears up this interference.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/fluor...ce-196291.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #6

Thanks all, got it back. I pulled the fuse and got part of it back, but lost zone three. I learned if you hold the up and down for 5 seconds, the letters start flashing and you go through each zone and assign "cool", "Heat elec" and "heat gas" based on what you have. I've got everything back.

My zone 3 actually took "heat elect" which I am going to try when it cools, but I don't actually think zone 3 is a heat pump.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks all, got it back. I pulled the fuse and got part of it back, but lost zone three. I learned if you hold the up and down for 5 seconds, the letters start flashing and you go through each zone and assign "cool", "Heat elec" and "heat gas" based on what you have. I've got everything back.

My zone 3 actually took "heat elect" which I am going to try when it cools, but I don't actually think zone 3 is a heat pump.
According to the operators manual on page 4-11:

http://winnebagoind.com/resources/ma...13Meridian.pdf

"Heat pump capability is not available on front cab AC units (Zone 3 if equipped)"
Old 07-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #8

Ah thanks. That answers that question. I'll deactivate HP for zone 3.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:13 AM   #9

Wow, got all three AC running and it will part your hair! Sure needed it in 105 in Nebraska last week. 3 ACs with other stuff running ran between 48 and 56 amps.

The rear AC was not working because power was not passing through the power shed relay once I found it in the control box in the AC cold air side. I bypassed it, will figure that part out later.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Wow, got all three AC running and it will part your hair! Sure needed it in 105 in Nebraska last week. 3 ACs with other stuff running ran between 48 and 56 amps.

The rear AC was not working because power was not passing through the power shed relay once I found it in the control box in the AC cold air side. I bypassed it, will figure that part out later.
Are you referring to the control box under the shroud on the roof? I had to replace that control box on the zone 1 AC in our 2013 Adventurer. In our case the relay would not activate the switching valve, so the unit wouldn't go into the heat pump mode.

The new box came with a set of jumper wires on the terminals marked "shed". The old box didn't have a set of jumpers there, but rather 2 wires coming from the energy management system. I installed the new box with the wires exactly as on the old one. Now the unit works both in the AC and heat pump modes.

As a side note the control box and 2 of the latest generation 3 blade fans were provided by Airxcel at no charge. I called their tech line earlier this year explaining the "no heat pump" problem. I went through the diagnosis and found the switching valve relay wasn't working. I had to provide the serial number of the AC unit and the delivery date of the motorhome. They sent me the fan kits and a control box as a "goodwill adjustment".
Old 07-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Are you referring to the control box under the shroud on the roof? I had to replace that control box on the zone 1 AC in our 2013 Adventurer. In our case the relay would not activate the switching valve, so the unit wouldn't go into the heat pump mode.

The new box came with a set of jumper wires on the terminals marked "shed". The old box didn't have a set of jumpers there, but rather 2 wires coming from the energy management system. I installed the new box with the wires exactly as on the old one. Now the unit works both in the AC and heat pump modes.

As a side note the control box and 2 of the latest generation 3 blade fans were provided by Airxcel at no charge. I called their tech line earlier this year explaining the "no heat pump" problem. I went through the diagnosis and found the switching valve relay wasn't working. I had to provide the serial number of the AC unit and the delivery date of the motorhome. They sent me the fan kits and a control box as a "goodwill adjustment".
That is awesome! I need to call them. Yes its the shed relay in that control box I bypassed to get it working. Unfortunately I bought the 3 fan kits (version D) from Tweeties already. It did cut down on the noise quite a bit outside, but now you can really hear those compressors rumble. It sounds like an industrial building roof up there, especially when all three rumble in sync
Old 07-11-2016, 03:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
That is awesome! I need to call them. Yes its the shed relay in that control box I bypassed to get it working. Unfortunately I bought the 3 fan kits (version D) from Tweeties already. It did cut down on the noise quite a bit outside, but now you can really hear those compressors rumble. It sounds like an industrial building roof up there, especially when all three rumble in sync
In our case the noise on the inside was significantly "changed". It went from a low tone rumble that was loud enough to interfere with the audio portion of the television to a higher pitched hum. In a test we had to have the TV volume at 59 before replacing the fans. (The main TV is almost directly under the zone 1 AC.) After the fan installation we could turn the volume down to 42. Time will tell as to whether or not the new sound is an improvement. We also noticed a significant reduction in the noise outside the coach.

We did keep the old fans just in case the new sound becomes more obnoxious than the previous one.

Tags
heat