Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Running on DC

I have had my coach for 2 1/2 years and never used batterie power. trying to it now and nothing works. how do I set up to run on house batteries?
leadfoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

If you have had the coach plugged in for that time there is a good chance the batteries have boiled dry and are ruined.
First thing to do is find them and test with a voltmeter.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

After you check your battery water levels, look for the 12v shut off switch. Often called a salesman switch and see if it is off.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Am I missing something here??? How can you not use your batteries in two years? Anything in your coach that runs on 12 volts, (all interior lights are one) go thru the batteries. Confused
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPO_Retired View Post
Am I missing something here??? How can you not use your batteries in two years? Anything in your coach that runs on 12 volts, (all interior lights are one) go thru the batteries. Confused
Good question ... maybe meant not running on inverter ?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I do not think you asked the right question. What are you trying to use with battery power? Do you have an inverter? How many house batteries do you have? If you have and inverter and two house batteries then you might expect the tv, lights, and water pump would work. Not the microwave for example.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

You are right I ask the wrong question. I have never run on the inverter. As in boon docking . I was just testing every thing and when I tried to set up nothing would work. I found a switch by door that was aux battery off on. I am still learning. It may be nice to run sometimes where you have nothing but yourself. Also while I am typing what do I have to do to switch to LP .
Just nickname me ditzy

leadfoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot2 View Post
You are right I ask the wrong question. I have never run on the inverter. As in boon docking . I was just testing every thing and when I tried to set up nothing would work. I found a switch by door that was aux battery off on. I am still learning. It may be nice to run sometimes where you have nothing but yourself. Also while I am typing what do I have to do to switch to LP .

Just nickname me ditzy

How many times have you run the generator?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Leadfoot2, have you tried to read the owners manual? That is ALWAYS a great place to start. You may still be confused but at least you can ask questions that make a bit more sense to you, hence us. Fire away. We want to help you.

Rick Y
Old 09-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

leadfoot2, if your coach is still factory and it has the inverter option you only have a small 300 watt inverter that powers the front and rear TV and Sat Receiver.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Just fyi, in case you don't have a copy, here's the 2004 Suncruiser Operator Manual.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
You are right I ask the wrong question. As in boon docking . ,,,,,
Don't feel bad we have all been there. My first time boon docking was at Quartzite a few years ago. I was very disappointed that my batteries did not last very long on the inverter and I had to fire up my gen to recharge them. Oh and the inverter fried my coffee pot the second day.

You should find on your electrical control panel a display for your inverter with a button that has Inverter & Reset On/Off. When you find this display disconnect shore power and try powering on a AC device such as your TV. If it works monitor how long it takes to drop your batteries down to 12 Volts. For me it is less then an hour. FYI there are many items that use AC and DC that put a drain on your batteries that you have little or no control over so don't be to disappointed if your coach batteries don't last very long.
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Just nickname me ditzy

No , nicknames here, only user names.
We were all new at this, RVing thing, once and needed to ask questions.
Remember the only dumb question is the one you don't ask, particularly if by not asking, you get a kick in the pocket book.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #14

My DW loves to read. I think she's trying to memorize the owners manual.

Best advice so far is to read that chunky offering.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:43 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I have had my coach for 2 1/2 years and never used batterie power. trying to it now and nothing works. how do I set up to run on house batteries?
If its a 35U then its around 34 feet 10 inches long. The inverter should just be for the TV area and the switch for it behind the glass door above the passenger seat. Its too small a unit to run more than the TV, Video Player, Satellite Receiver or a Laptop Computer.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:48 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Just nickname me ditzy

The refrigerator should switch automatically to LP however you may have to cycle the mode button back to LP a few times if it has not been used for a while to prime the system. The valve on the propane tank just like a faucet on a hose hookup has to be opened first however your stove will not light if it has been closed so if the gas stove works then you are good to go. Gas water heater is controlled from the One Place panel on the wall.

It's all in the Owners Manual.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

If your 12 volt system does not work and you have the rear coach heater (there's a blower that actually uses hot coolant from the engine) and you have switched it on to test it, there is a good chance the 15 amp fuse blew. There is a fuse block under your dash. You just lift up the dash to access. The fuse block(s) are likely on the left front side.

If this is the case, the fuse blew because of a blower fan issue. On my Adventurer, this will take out virtually all of the 12 volt systems. Repairing the blower is a pain in the butt, but can be done. I have not done it as I doubt I will ever use it.

Scott