Old 11-29-2018, 06:48 AM   #1
2016 Suncruiser 37F

Residential Fridge and Inverter question

Am I correct that you must have the generator on in order to run the inverter to the residential refrigerator?
We recently purchased a 2016 Suncruiser and can't seem to get the residential fridge to run or inverter to run without the generator. I can't seem to find any information in any of the 3 manuals that came with the coach. Am I just dumb?
TBWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I doubt that the fridge is wired to run on the inverter. Doing so would drain your house batteries in a short time.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:18 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

It sounds like your inverter is turned off, or it's GFCI breaker has tripped if it is turned on. The GFCI breaker is in an outlet on the end of the inverter and has a test and reset button.

The inverter should have a control panel where it needs to be turned on. When inverter is off, it cuts thru power fed to the RV from either shore cable or generator. With inverter on, it should power the refrigerator whenever the house batteries have enough voltage/stored energy.

The inverter needs to be on for the fridge to receive power when not on generator or shore power. You can go about a day before needing to charge the batteries by running the coach engine, running generator, or plugging into shore power.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
I doubt that the fridge is wired to run on the inverter. Doing so would drain your house batteries in a short time.
Acutally, it's extremely common and usual practice for the inverter to run a residential fridge in a motorhome. It would be very unusual for it not to be wired this way.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBWard View Post
Am I correct that you must have the generator on in order to run the inverter to the residential refrigerator?
No it's not normal to have to run the generator to run the inverter for any load.

There are these kinds of 110v power on your coach.

1. Shore power
2. Generator power
3. Inverter

Each works independently and the only thing needed for the inverter to provide 110v power is your 12v battery bank (assuming you have enough power stored in your batteries, of course.)
Old 11-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
2016 Suncruiser 37F

The panel says "Inverter Normal" when hooked to shore power. When un-hooked, I can scroll through the panel and it says "Inverter OFF", but I can't figure out how to make it turn on at that point?
Old 11-29-2018, 05:45 PM   #7
Site Team

And what does the manual in the Owners Briefcase tell you about how to operate the Inverter?

What inverter do you have? Do you have a magnum inverter with a ME-MR remote? If you do there are three chrome buttons down at the bottom of the screen. The first one on the left says On/Off if that's the remote you have.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2018, 08:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
It sounds like your inverter is turned off, or it's GFCI breaker has tripped if it is turned on. The GFCI breaker is in an outlet on the end of the inverter and has a test and reset button.

The inverter should have a control panel where it needs to be turned on. When inverter is off, it cuts thru power fed to the RV from either shore cable or generator. With inverter on, it should power the refrigerator whenever the house batteries have enough voltage/stored energy.

The inverter needs to be on for the fridge to receive power when not on generator or shore power. You can go about a day before needing to charge the batteries by running the coach engine, running generator, or plugging into shore power.

I ran into this issue on our new Outlook. There is an outlet on the inverter that has a GFCI button. It gets tripped from time to time so our fridge won't run when the inverter is on. I periodically check to see if the fridge light comes on. When it doesn't, I press the GFCI switch and it works again. Still trying to figure out what's tripping the GFCI
Heyheyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #9
2016 Suncruiser 37F

Thanks, I actually just figured it out myself prior to seeing this email. DAH! I just needed to push the button on the above panel! Thanks for your help.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
no need to run the generator to operate an inverter.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Inverter needed for residential refrigerator

Unless you have an unusual RV most residential refrigerators are setup to run off eather shore power or your generator. It's rare that a typical RV would have enough battery capacity to run a residential refrigerator. There are socialized RV such as the Winnebago Revel and the Roadtrek eTrek that are designed to be able to boondock and still run their residential refrigerator but these models are unique. Even the Thor Outlaw uses the generator or shore power to power it's residential refrigerator. Regards. Lee
Leevormelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:07 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevormelker View Post
Unless you have an unusual RV most residential refrigerators are setup to run off eather shore power or your generator. It's rare that a typical RV would have enough battery capacity to run a residential refrigerator.
Hey Lee, a great many... the vast majority maybe... of RVs with residential fridges come with OEM solar charging capabilities and larger battery banks and can run the residential fridge for a day or more. Also, when the fridge is running on the inverter and youíre driving the RV, the vehicle is supplying power to the batteries and keeping the fridge running too. No generator needed then either.

With solar and a decent sized battery bank, depending on weather, you probably would need to run a generator a couple of hours morning and evening, but just to top up batteries. Itís not like you have to run a genset all day and all night.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:56 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Residential Refrig/GFCI

I plug in a small flat LED type nite lights to the same circuit that feeds the refrig. As we come and go, itís an easy way to see power is all ok... or not. In our case there seems to be just two inverter output circuits so we were able to use/ plug in our (refrig) GFCI status LED night lite into the bathroom outlet, thatís on the same circuit providing easy status visibility and a needed nite lite location to boot.
Radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBWard View Post
Thanks, I actually just figured it out myself prior to seeing this email. DAH! I just needed to push the button on the above panel! Thanks for your help.
Meh, I went through the same growing pains. Now you won't ever forget

Tags
fridge, inverter