Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2020, 02:39 PM   #21
Site Team

Are there any RVs with gas/electric RV absorption fridges that came from the factory with an inverter on the fridge power circuit? It's possible if someone with an RV fridge installed their own inverter and they wired it to service the entire RV. But otherwise, that doesn't sound like a thing you could run into.

Most RVs with gas/elec fridges and a factory inverter see that inverter wired to TVs, entertainment centers, microwaves, etc. But to the fridge??????
Old 05-03-2020, 09:35 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

2019 Outlook 31 N refrigerator is 120 v. Check the manual on line. We even had to work with Winnebago support on our first long trip when the invertor GIF was shutting down while traveling. Has worked well except for first issue. Ours is a 30 amp system and the invertor is not supposed to be used with shore power or generator.
GJOoutlook31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:29 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJOoutlook31 View Post
the invertor is not supposed to be used with shore power or generator.
Can you tell us the make and model of the inverter?
I looked up your Operators Manual and see that I was wrong. Sorry, you are correct. The inverter on your Outlook doesn’t have either AC pass through or an auto transfer switch. It’s a small 1000watt unit.
My apologies for not checking first.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:21 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

No issue. Just didn't want another owner being confused. Good luck on your travels. Hope the Covid issue isn't affecting your planned travels. We canceled our summer trip that was supposed to start today until more opens up.
GJOoutlook31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:11 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

My 2006 Winnie Journey's gas/elect fridge is wired to the inverter from the factory.

All the AC power C/B's are located at the foot of the bed. There is a sub panel for all the C/B's which feed off of the inverter. One of the C/B's is labeled "Refrig-Vacuum".
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #26
Site Team

Hey Al, have you tested this? Will the fridge auto select AC when the inverter is on and you are not on shore power or generator? I ask because maybe it's a separate outlet for use in the event that a residential fridge is installed.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:39 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Hey Al, have you tested this? Will the fridge auto select AC when the inverter is on and you are not on shore power or generator? I ask because maybe it's a separate outlet for use in the event that a residential fridge is installed.
There is only one outlet behind the fridge.

When the fridge is on auto mode rather than LP only or Elect only, it will always go to AC power when it sees 120V AC.

The sub panel C/B's all feed off of the inverter.

Several times I have disconnected from shore power and 15-30 minutes later happen to glance at my Trimetric panel and I see readings in the upper 20amps. It is always an expletive deleted moment.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:24 PM   #28
Site Team

Was it wired that way from the factory or was the inverter added later?
Old 05-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Was it wired that way from the factory or was the inverter added later?
Like I have written twice, there is a sub panel with all the AC C/B's the come off the inverter and one is labeled "Refrig-Vacuum".

I can't see some aftermarket install doing that.

Not sure what else I can tell you to establish it is a factory install.

I am guessing that maybe someone at WGO got the idea that some or a lot of folks didn't like running the fridge on propane while driving so put the fridge behind the inverter. Could have been a marketing decision.

For what it is worth a year or more ago on a forum I stated that most all RV's DO NOT have the gas/elect fridge wired behind the inverter. I was quickly corrected that a number of Winnie's are wired that way.

I glad your fridge is not wired behind the inverter.

As to your earlier mention of perhaps the outlet was wired for an optional residential fridge. Back in 2005, when they were making the 2006 models, I can't think of any low to medium priced Diesel Pushers that offered a residential fridge. Maybe in the $350k to $500K rigs there was. But in the $175K to $250K range I don't think so.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #30
Site Team

Thanks Al, not doubting you, just wanted to add that knowledge. I'm happy to be corrected that some are wired that way. Good to know.

Thanks again.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:10 AM   #31
Winnebago Watcher

How do you keep your fridge cold when dry camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJOoutlook31 View Post
New to Group. Purchased Outlook 31 N last May. We turn the inverter on when traveling it powers the refrigerator and TV. Keeps the fridge cold. Once we get to a site the inverter is turned off before we turn on the the generator or shore power. Had an issue with the GFI at first but it was resolved. Over 11,000 miles so far and would be traveling now except for Covid-19 shutdowns. Hope this helps good luck on your travels.
We probably have a similar set up - fridge either cools on shore power/generator, or with the inverter on while the alternator is running when we are driving. What we struggle with is keeping the fridge cold when not at a campsite with hookups. We're missing out on some great opportunities but feel constrained. Do you just run the generator frequently?
Pharmercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, inverter