Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Replacing Winegard AS2003

I will be replacing my Winegard AS2003 with the new TRAV’LER SK3005 in my ’05 Journey when we get some decent weather here in the Northwest. I know some of you fellas have done this already.

I have read all the threads on the board but I didn’t find specific answers to these questions.

I will be using a HR24 receiver and I understand I will need to run two RG6 cables to the receiver. My questions are; Was it easy to run the coax and the power supply through the existing “wireway”? Did the new unit completely cover the footprint of the existing unit? What caulk should I use? – I know nothing about these products! Can I use my ancient Sony Sat T60 to test the new dish (I have not purchased the new receiver yet)?

I will take pictures when installing. Thanks a lot for any info you could provide.

Ron
Old 01-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi Ron.

We made that same upgrade about 3 years ago. You're going to love it. You're probably replacing Winegard's worst ever dish with their best!

Extended warranty covered the replacement for me so I had my dealer install it.... although I did need to pay the difference in replacement cost of the old dish with that of the new HD dish.

Your only questions I can help with are that I do believe the new dish will cover the entire foot print of the old one and it will probably not be "easy" to run the additional coax through existing wire runs. You may find that you already have two coax cables running from your dish to your switch box and may be able to utilize that without running an additional cable.

Are you planning to have more than one receiver in the coach or run all TVs from one receiver?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

The channels in the ceiling have plenty of room to pull the cables. The only catch is that you may have to remove the front TV to pull them.

Also, the dish weighs about 70 pounds, and it's a little "floppy", which makes it a little tricky to get up to the roof.

You will enjoy the new dish.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
The channels in the ceiling have plenty of room to pull the cables. The only catch is that you may have to remove the front TV to pull them.

This is a good point if you have a front mounted TV. My Ellipse 40FD has the mid ship entertainment center in a slide so the cables couldn't route through the ceiling channels and had to go from the roof all the way under the coach and then back up into the slide via the wire harness track.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 01-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the speedy responses!

I will be using only the one receiver but it will require a second coax cable for "watching one channel while recording another". So my thinking was that I may as well replace the old coax if I'm going to add a new one.

I hadn't thought about removing the old CRT tv just yet but I'm only going to do that once, so I guess I'll incorporate that replacement at this time too!

I do have a forklift so the weight shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks so much! I'm off to buy coax tools!

Ron
Old 01-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Without an HD TV you'd be wasting the nicest feature of that beautiful new dish so IMHO, replacing the TV(s) at the same time is a good idea.

Just FYI, in my coach I decided to go with only one receiver... two coax leads from dish... and then connecting the other two TVs to the receiver via HDMI cables. I use an HDMI splitter and the RF feature on most DirecTv remotes so I can still use the remotes to control the receiver from the bedroom and outside entertainment system. It's worked great.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 01-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks again. I think I am going to rethink this project and do the tv first.

Rick, I looked online and saw that the HDMI splitters you mentioned are powered. Do go leave yours on all the time? Great idea by the way.

I will look for a 32" tv and start on that project first. I'm going to try it without modifying the cabinet. It will fit & just clear the outside cabinet doors. I have promised DW that if it looks hideous I will have it professionally done (repaired).

Ron
Old 01-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Yeah, I do leave my HDMI splitter on all of the time. Only when it goes to storage and the battery banks get shut down do the splitters lose power. They do work really well and running a 50' HDMI cable from my mid ship slide mounted entertainment system to my bedroom TV sure caused me to learn a lot about how my coach was put together. We NEVER really boon dock so I haven't been especially tuned in to power consumption but I don't think the splitters are much of a draw.

This set up isn't for everyone since you have to watch the same thing on all 3 sets... if you're going to watch satellite programming or recorded shows... but the DW and I never really watch different shows and, if we want to we can still get OTA and cable on all three sets.

Keep doing a bit of research here on the forum to see pictures of what a lot of others have done... take your time... and spend a lot of time just staring at the hole left by the old set before you start cutting anything that can't be undone. I think you'll do fine. We replaced all three of ours with a 37" in the salon, a 32" in the bedroom, and a 26" LED in the outside center... HP, Sony, and Visio respectively. It's been at least three years and >30,000 miles on all but the Visio with no problems yet.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

as 2003

Ron, if you still have the as 2003, and you wish to sell it, I would like to talk to you. I have the same unit, and the board went out on it. Sadly, Winegard no longer supports this unit, so I am dead in the water. Thanks, Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwing View Post
I will be replacing my Winegard AS2003 with the new TRAV’LER SK3005 in my ’05 Journey when we get some decent weather here in the Northwest. I know some of you fellas have done this already.

I have read all the threads on the board but I didn’t find specific answers to these questions.

I will be using a HR24 receiver and I understand I will need to run two RG6 cables to the receiver. My questions are; Was it easy to run the coax and the power supply through the existing “wireway”? Did the new unit completely cover the footprint of the existing unit? What caulk should I use? – I know nothing about these products! Can I use my ancient Sony Sat T60 to test the new dish (I have not purchased the new receiver yet)?

I will take pictures when installing. Thanks a lot for any info you could provide.

Ron
fenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I'm sorry I no longer have the AS2003. The only part that remains is the sheet metal dish and it was turned into a bird bath by DW!
Ron
Old 09-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

The sealant used by the guy that installed mine was Dicor - self leveling. That guy now works for Winegard teaching dealers how to install systems.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I did mine as well, and thats a good point about it being "floppy". It's actually a serious finger pincher and I would advise securing it before the lift.

Also, my AS-2003 had 2 pieces of RG-6 from the dish and into the cabinet (the 3005 has 4), so you might look around and be sure yours doesn't as well. I kept the control cable and actually spliced into the new control cable so I didn't disturb the seal on the roof at all. There was no compelling reason to tear all that out.

Another suggestion is to build a landing pad for the feed horn as it puts a bit of pressure on the roof. Winegard sells one, but I went full boat and installed a 4x10" piece of stainless on the roof.

I'll second Dicor, and don't be stingy with it, it's also the glue.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Update

I did install the SK3005 in March - a very rare sunny day here in the Pacific Northwest! I did use Dicor (and plenty of it - Thank You SVCJeff) . I made up new RG6 cables and Ran them down the old wireway after I removed the old Sony CRT TV. I fabricated a steel bracket and installed it in the cabinet with an articulated, locking mount.

I installed a Samsung 32" 1080p LED TV - pretty pricey but it came with a free BlueRay Player.

One of the unforeseen benefits of the update is that when we are driving on a rough road we do not experience the violent bouncing of the old heavy TV.

I am very pleased with the whole update and would recommend it to all!!
an aside - I was so happy with the quality of the TV that I bought the 46" version for the stick & bricks!

Thanks for all of your thoughtful & friendly advice.

Ron