Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Replacing rear TV and connecting satellite

We just replaced our front TV and successfully connected our old satellite receiver box to the Vizio 32" LED. Just as we celebrated success, our rear TV started smoking and we lost video. Seems like it's time to replace this one as well. I can't find threads on how this TV is actually installed. Probably we can figure that out. But, what we can't figure out is how to hook up our satellite receiver. Apparently these new digital TVs don't receive satellite signals the same way, which was easy to solve on the front TV by using RCA jacks. However, the rear TV is too far away for direct connection.

Previously, a coax connection was built in from the black switch box to the left side of the AV cabinets. Then, you went to channel 3 on the TV and that received the satellite signal. That certainly didn't work on our new front TV, so what does work?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. I'm sure others have successfully negotiated this trick.

Janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

It would help if you listed the make and model of your sat receiver and dish... and the year, make and model of your coach.

Most of today's sat receivers don't have coax outputs so the existing wiring in most coaches don't offer the solution.

It sounds like you're trying to have one satellite receiver output to two TVs?

If that's the case, there are ways to do it, but you'll usually have to watch the same channel on both TVs... in other words, you won't be able to watch one show in the living room and a different one in the bedroom at the same time.

I replaced all three TVs in my Itasca and feed them all via a single DVR/receiver but I had to wire my entire rig with new HDMI cable to do it. There are devices which will convert your composite (RCA) connections to coax... and even some which will transmit wirelessly. Do a search here on the forum and you'll find some threads discussing them. I have no direct experience using either.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yeah coax output on newer satellite receivers is pretty well gone now .
You can run HDMI cable about 50 feet and still have enough signal strength at the end to work fine. But that would mean you will have to run the cable back in some fashion.

I have seen some posts about using wireless HDMI equipment but everything I have seen is expensive.
You could always use an RF converter to go from component output to RF on channel 3 or 4 but the picture won't be all that great compared to what we are used to today.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

In case it helps, here's the TV Coax Wiring Diagram for your coach (2005 Adventurer 38G, according to your sig) and here's the TV/VCR, Front Wiring Installation diagram as well.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks

Yes, we figured that our box is obsolete, since we've had it since 2005. It is the D10 receiver. I guess that means that we can't take advantage of the black switch box which controls input source and boosts the antenna signal. If I'm interpreting correctly, we will still use the existing coax connection for the rear TV in order to connect to the antenna and to boost the antenna signal.

We've always used the remote to control the satellite box, and it worked fine sitting up in bed. We absolutely never have the front TV on at the same time as the rear, so our preference would still be to take advantage of that receiver.

So, it looks like we still have the same problem--signals come into coach at front and are split and controlled by black box. The only connection going to rear TV runs through preexisting coax runs. We can replace TV, but if coax can't be used to carry satellite signal and be recognized by TV, we can't use that preexisting wiring to connect the satellite. If we take an additional receiver from home for the rear TV, we can't use rooftop dish because that signal enters coach from front. We need to run HDMI cable from front to rear, which a formidable task.

I appreciate all the help.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #6

It depends....

In our Bounder the sat receiver is hooked up to the distribution box via the a/v connector. Video-and 2 audio RCA type connectors. The distribution box contains a modulator and puts out that signal on channel 3 or 4. If you have A/V connectors give it a try.

It works OK for SD satellite programming. If your distribution box doesn't have a modulator you could possibly use one like this : Philips RF Modulator Video Converter - TVs & Electronics - TV & Video Cables - AV Switchers

Funny that nobody makes a modulator that is HDMI in and RF coax out.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjanjan View Post
We just replaced our front TV and successfully connected our old satellite receiver box to the Vizio 32" LED. Just as we celebrated success, our rear TV started smoking and we lost video. Seems like it's time to replace this one as well. I can't find threads on how this TV is actually installed. Probably we can figure that out. But, what we can't figure out is how to hook up our satellite receiver. Apparently these new digital TVs don't receive satellite signals the same way, which was easy to solve on the front TV by using RCA jacks. However, the rear TV is too far away for direct connection.

Previously, a coax connection was built in from the black switch box to the left side of the AV cabinets. Then, you went to channel 3 on the TV and that received the satellite signal. That certainly didn't work on our new front TV, so what does work?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. I'm sure others have successfully negotiated this trick.
See WWW.k7no.com/Rear_TV_Modified.jpg

For crude schematic connect to rear.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

See www.k7no.com/Rear_TV_Modified.jpg

Old 01-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

My solution was to use diplexers. I have a 2002 coach that had only one coax running to the rear TV. I have a sat dish (Winegard Traveler HD) that has four coax outputs. I ran two coax cables from the Sat dish to the front cabinet. One coax goes directly to the Direct TV HD receiver for the front TV. Coax in, HDMI cable out to the front HD TV.

I wanted to be able to continue to send OTA signals from my old Winegard antenna to the rear TV along with a signal from the SAT dish without running a second coax. So, I connected both the OTA coax (coming from the regular OTA antenna) and the second coax from my SAT dish to a diplexer (similar to a standard coax splitter), and connected the coax that runs to the rear TV to the diplexer OUT. At the rear TV, I installed another diplexer. Connect the incoming coax to it and run two coax cables from the diplexer outlets...one goes to the input of a second standard definition satellite receiver, and the other goes to the antenna input on the TV. I used component cables to output the sat receiver signal to the TV. Using the 'input' or 'source' settings in the TV menu, I can either view the OTA signal from the antenna or the signal from the Direct sat receiver.

We are happy with HD up front and SD in the rear so this set up works fine for us. You do need two sat receivers to be able to watch different programs on the separate TV's.

Not sure this will work in your situation but it saved me from running more cable to the rear of the coach. I am led to believe that if I install a HD sat receiver for the rear TV, I can view HD programming at both locations with this set up.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have the dish double tuner box that I use in my house and move to the RV. It has HDMI for HD at front TV and 75 ohm coax for rear TV I connect through the standard switcher in front cabinet to back TV. Works fine no HD to back but works and different things can be watched on each TV. No changes needed to cable to back. I have radio frquency remote for back tuner so can change channels without going to Dish receiver as with IR remotes.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Would the TV wiring diagram be the same for a 2003 33' Adventurer
Johnshepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnshepp View Post
Would the TV wiring diagram be the same for a 2003 33' Adventurer
Here's the TV/VCR Wiring Installation for the 2003 Adventurer 33V. (You can go here Manuals & Diagrams to get all of the plumbing, wiring, etc. diagrams for your coach.)

Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I can't get the link to my solution to work. What it is is a method to use the second LNB output dor the rear TV so you can watch a different channel on each TV. If you want the schematic, email me at [email protected]> It is simple and inexpensive.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
I can't get the link to my solution to work. What it is is a method to use the second LNB output dor the rear TV so you can watch a different channel on each TV. If you want the schematic, email me at [email protected]> It is simple and inexpensive.
Here's your link: http://www.k7no.com/RearTVModified.jpg

And here it is as an image:

Old 01-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Again, thanks

This is all very helpful and it looks like some of you had the exact same problem and found solutions. I appreciate it.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

RCA to Coax adapter

I had a similar problem with my Adventurer. I bought a inexpensive RCA to Coax converter at walmart last summer. The converter is powered and must be plugged in. They were originally made for older tv's that only had coax inputs but needed a signal from a RCA output from a VCR or such. I come out of my Sat receiver outputs via RCA and through the converter and back to the signal switcher as a coax therefore sending the signal to my mid coach, rear bedroom or outside tv outputs. In your case you may need some y connectors to split the RCA outputs from your Sat receiver if you are feeding the front TV at the same time. JMTC
OICURV2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite