Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Replacement LED porch lights

I am tired of buying #1141 auto bulbs for my 09 Journey's porch lights. Anyone have any problems with using LED light bulbs?
Socaljtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I adapted an amber array to my porch light (bug lightish) worked great.
ALL of the lights in our teardrop are LED most a standard G4.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Socialjtc, :welcome:

We replaced our entire porch light with a motion/heat sensored LED light. We really like it. The LED light is much brighter & with the lens cover being clear (as opposed to yellow like our old one), the light beam goes much farther out. The LED bulb also swivels, so we were able to angle the light spread down towards the steps more.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Hi Socialjtc, :welcome:

We replaced our entire porch light with a motion/heat sensored LED light. We really like it. The LED light is much brighter & with the lens cover being clear (as opposed to yellow like our old one), the light beam goes much farther out. The LED bulb also swivels, so we were able to angle the light spread down towards the steps more.

L-
That's exactly what I'm looking for..... Do you have any more info on it?
Cost?
Where you bought it?
Brand?
Thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 01:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

It's called a Smart Light. We bought ours at the Fleetwood Motorhome Associaton rally last summer. Then, only the black version was LED, now I think the white one is, too. We paid $85 for it then, now I see several internet vendors (like the one I linked above) have it for much less.

It was very easy to install. The instructions said it would fit using the exact holes/screws from the existing fixture, but it didn't. DH had to drill an additional mounting hole. I'd say the hardest part was getting the caulk from around the old one off the coach without scratching/damaging the paint.

Lori-
Old 01-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I replaced my two porch lights (on under awning and one above the water service bay on the driver side) with LED bulbs from Kinzer Enterprises, PMB 8100, PO Box 2428, Pensacola FL 32513, 602-738-6231, [email protected]. I found them at a rally. The bulb sounds like what NLOVNIT describes ...swivels to direct the light where you want it. I got a Revolution 300 lumen 3.3w for $29.95 for the awning side, and a Revolution 200 lumen 2.5w for $24.95. I believe they also had a 150 lumen verson. They are great lights!!

They also had the automatic light described above, but I decided I didn't want to swap out what I had as mine are chrome finish and the one they had was white or black.

I had replaced the oem clear lens with a yellow lens on the awning porch light, and put the clear one back in for the led light as led bulbs supposedly do not attract bugs like incandescent bulbs do.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I also recommend purchasing from Kinzer Enterprises. Ralph & Sandy are usually always at the RV rallies & are very knowledgeable & helpful figuring out what LED bulbs will replace the incandescents.

Sandy did, also, tell me LED bulbs don't attract bugs like incandescent bulbs do, but I found although the moths & june bugs are deterred, those pesky gnats still come around the LED porch light. Luckily, that light is sensor activated, so it comes on only when approached & goes off within about a minute.

Lori-