Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Replacement headlamps for 2002

Sometimes you need an easy project (I haven't driven my Sightseer at night, but that will come..) and it seems the 4-lamp system is a great place to spend a few minutes and $...

In a search, it appears Winnebago and others may have simply bought the 'buckets' from automotive OEM. If the case, do you know the source/brand? Sometimes the entire bucket can be replaced with a later 2-lamp system - I gather.

There's lotsa possibilities but figured a number of you have tilled this ground already. Thanks. Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

If at a loss you can always go to Napa or a auto parts store they will be glad to help you figure it out. Good luck.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Ray, I'm a big NAPA fan, but this is a junkyard sourcing project ..and junkyards are not nearly as fun as they were 30yrs ago. Maybe it's the liability but the better/bigger ones will no longer let you pick thru the bones.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:02 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Liability is one and they get more money if they had pulled it and then sell it to you. I remember those days and it was fun to find your part, that is beyond my abilities today but would be fun to do again if they would let you. Happy hunting.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Back in the late '50s when I was 12 or 13, my cousin had an old Plymouth. It was great fun going to the junkyard with him and pulling parts. Lately when I called around looking for a factory roof rack for my 2011 Honda Odyssey, no one had one, nor could they refer me to a potential source. I thought all these places were linked by a huge computerized database.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Four lamp headlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetstuff View Post
Sometimes you need an easy project (I haven't driven my Sightseer at night, but that will come..) and it seems the 4-lamp system is a great place to spend a few minutes and $...

In a search, it appears Winnebago and others may have simply bought the 'buckets' from automotive OEM. If the case, do you know the source/brand? Sometimes the entire bucket can be replaced with a later 2-lamp system - I gather.

There's lotsa possibilities but figured a number of you have tilled this ground already. Thanks. Jim
Why would you want to do that? I also have a 2002 Sightseer. The four lamp system is fine with me. Replacement lamps are easy to get, economical, easy to change out, easy to adjust, etc.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Headlamp dilemma

I have a 4-lamp Sightseer as well. I recently had to do some work on the lamps as they were loose and falling out. The brackets that attached the headlamp mounting panels to the front fiberglass body panel came off the front panel due to rust under the paint on the brackets. That all being said, I had to disassemble the headlamps. The sealed beams are mounted to an automotive style bucket. This, in turn, is mounted to a Winnebago sourced panel. You will not find a 2-lamp conversion for this at NAPA, etc. or any used parts source. With a lot of expensive customizing, you might get it done but the gain wouldn’t be worth it. One possible option would be to look for headlamp bulb housing that would bolt in right where your sealed beams are. These will take a halogen bulb that is quite a bit brighter. I’m not sure if they are available for rectangular lamps though. Good luck!
Trophyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophyman View Post
I have a 4-lamp Sightseer as well. I recently had to do some work on the lamps as they were loose and falling out. The brackets that attached the headlamp mounting panels to the front fiberglass body panel came off the front panel due to rust under the paint on the brackets. That all being said, I had to disassemble the headlamps. The sealed beams are mounted to an automotive style bucket. This, in turn, is mounted to a Winnebago sourced panel. You will not find a 2-lamp conversion for this at NAPA, etc. or any used parts source. With a lot of expensive customizing, you might get it done but the gain wouldn’t be worth it. One possible option would be to look for headlamp bulb housing that would bolt in right where your sealed beams are. These will take a halogen bulb that is quite a bit brighter. I’m not sure if they are available for rectangular lamps though. Good luck!
I guess I'm lucky. I don't have a rust problem with my headlight mounts, even though I have plenty of rust in other areas of the chassis. Someone mentioned salvage parts. That's probably the best solution to the problem.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement