Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2005, 04:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Looks like it is time to replace the chassis batteries in the buggy. Anyone got any recommendations on what to go with. I am talking about the Alliance batteries for the chassis only. Currently they are sealed group 31 type.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Looks like it is time to replace the chassis batteries in the buggy. Anyone got any recommendations on what to go with. I am talking about the Alliance batteries for the chassis only. Currently they are sealed group 31 type.

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 07-27-2005, 10:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi Rick,
Think 'AGM' (http://www.concordebattery.com/). They are expensive, over $150.00 for the 220 Amp. Hour 6 Volt ones (GPL-4C). And you will have to rewire the box a bit but with 4 of these, (they will fit, be creative, ours are snug as a bug) you'll have 440 Amp. Hours of coach battery that is maintenance free, truly deep cycle, spill proof, and should last well over twice as long as well maintained flooded batteries.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Re: replacing the CHASSIS batteries...

One of the better "bangs for the buck" can be had at Sams, and I think, WalsMart. Sams had a group 31 cranking battery with a limited 2 year replacement, and proration after that for another year. However, they have been switching brands in some of the Sams I have visited recently, and with the brand change, so went the good exchange policy. Check your local Sams to see what is available.

Many folks swear by the Walsmart (I call it that on purpose, it's not a typo) group 31 cranking batteries. Good warranty, good CCA's and national support.

Still others prefer the Caterpillar batteries. Unlike your case, many get 5 or more good years out of them. Ours in our previous coach lasted more than 4 years.

I have not enjoyed good service from any of the Trojan batteries I have owned, save for the T105 6 volt deep cycle. The group 31 cranking as well as the group 31 deep cycle were inferior.

Hope this helps.

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Mark,
Thanks for the info. I will look into them.

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 07-27-2005, 11:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Buck and Jeff. I'll check them both out.

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 07-28-2005, 09:55 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Buddrus:
I am talking about the Alliance batteries for the chassis only. Currently they are sealed group 31 type. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Never heard of "Alliance" batteries; but when it came to acquiring batteries for your new rig, Winnebago purchasers must have been playing Chinese Checkers that day. :-( and done their shopping for offshore surplus at the local flea market, hoping that no one would notice the difference!

It really doesn't matter all that much which brand you choose (other than perhaps "Alliance"). Any mainline brand will easily provide you ten+ years of reliable service!
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Stan,

Alliance are the brand name for Freightliner. These are not Winnebago supplied.They are supplied by the chassis manufacturer Freightliner. Just an FYI for you, CAT also has their own brand line as well.

"It really doesn't matter all that much which brand you choose (other than perhaps "Alliance"). Any mainline brand will easily provide you ten+ years of reliable service!"

You are living in a dream world if you think you are going to get ten years out of a chassis battery being utilized in the Southwest US.

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 07-28-2005, 06:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Rick,

Another thought.

Sears, and I'm sure others, formulate and build special batteries for the South West, and other hotter climes. It's a crap shoot as to the viability of the claimed longer life, vs. the higher price.

Consumers Reporst rated the group 24 and 74 Diehard South West as superior, but that was for cranking and reserve capacity. They did not test or rate for long term hot use.

Might just be better to select something with a good exchange policy, and hope for the best.

Cheers

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 08:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Given my analyses of warranty replacement batteries. It seems optimum to get batteries at Costco or Sams Club. Their warranties are equivalent to branded batteries but they cost about 1/2 the price.

For instance, if you need to replace the First Interstate batteries on your coach which are out of the warranty replacement period, it will cost about the same to replace them w/ new ones from Costco or at an independent store that will take your battiries and do a prorated warranty. I called several store and no one seem very keen on doing so. Thus I opted w/ Costco Kirkland batteries, because of their better warranty and hassle free dealing at the store...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BucknJeff:
Re: replacing the CHASSIS batteries...

One of the better "bangs for the buck" can be had at Sams, and I think, WalsMart. Sams had a group 31 cranking battery with a limited 2 year replacement, and proration after that for another year. However, they have been switching brands in some of the Sams I have visited recently, and with the brand change, so went the good exchange policy. Check your local Sams to see what is available.

Many folks swear by the Walsmart (I call it that on purpose, it's not a typo) group 31 cranking batteries. Good warranty, good CCA's and national support.

Still others prefer the Caterpillar batteries. Unlike your case, many get 5 or more good years out of them. Ours in our previous coach lasted more than 4 years.

I have not enjoyed good service from any of the Trojan batteries I have owned, save for the T105 6 volt deep cycle. The group 31 cranking as well as the group 31 deep cycle were inferior.

Hope this helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
wildgrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:28 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Buddrus:
You are living in a dream world if you think you are going to get ten years out of a chassis battery being utilized in the Southwest US. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Okay . . . so I can understand that you might not get 10+ years on batteries in the southwest. But only two years!?? Is that a reasonable expectation in your part of the world?
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 12:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

In our line of business we have the opportunity to use a lot of Group 31 batteries. It depends on what you are wanting here, if price is the determining factor, go to Sam's, Walmart, Interstate, close to the same thing. A better battery but cost more, NAPA or a Diehard, best and cost the most, get a Cat battery or one of the other commercial duty batteries. Take care of them and they all last, I have seen the Cat batteries going strong after 6 years and have seen them fail in 6 months. Usually the higher end folks stand a little taller behind their batteries.
I'll be due a set this fall (chnage them every 3 years) and will probably make a trip to the NAPA store.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 12:41 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Here's some interesting information on batteries.

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/batbrand.htm
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 01:49 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Stan,

Coach is a 03. Batteries probably produced early to mid 02 so we are over three years which is pretty normal for "Maintenance Free" batteries in southern Arizona.

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 07-30-2005, 07:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Batteries are not much different than LIGHT BULBS. No one can guarantee how long they'll last...and it doesn't really matter where you live. Just make sure you check the water faithfully..."might" extend their life a bit. Have to say that the "36 month" battery has never lasted that long, let alone a "60 month", nor a "72 month".
Using many different brands for many different applications over the last 25 years of boats, cars, RVs, motorcycles...I truly cannot say I could recommend one over another...they are just another electrical component made by man.
I am currently trying the 2 golf cart 6 volt style in my '02 Itasca Sunrise 30W. Let you know in about 24 months.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:43 PM   #16

.....Trojan is made in Mexico an also used be Freightliner....private labels are made by the low bidder....see if you have a battery rebuilder near you some where....it will save you 30-40% but the warranty is the best in the business.....geofkaye
Old 07-31-2005, 02:30 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

For those that want to do their homework on batteries I am posting some links that will help
http://www.dcbattery.com/faq.html#1
http://www.usbattery.com/care.htm
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Bat...ery%20Charging
http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:21 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

It is probably time for me to change my batteries too. I have a 'mix' of batteries, which is not good. 4 six volt golf carts and a 12 volt under the hood.

The 12 volt is about 6 years old. Two of the golf carts are 6 and two are 3 years old. Two of the golf carts are InterState and two are Trojan.

I use 12 volt DC for just about everything.

David/zetron
zetron is offline   Reply With Quote