Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2005, 10:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I think I will need to replace my coach batteries shortly.
I have 3 12V Trojan OEM batteries in a slidout tray.
I am think of replacing them with 6V golf cart batteries. Has anybody done this on a 03 JourneyDL? How many did you put in? Looks like there is only room for 3 batteries in the tray. Can you put in 3 6V batteries in and wire 2 in series and then 1 in parallel with the 2 in series?
I would be interested in what others have done in this situation?
Thanks for all the help everybody gives

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Tom Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I think I will need to replace my coach batteries shortly.
I have 3 12V Trojan OEM batteries in a slidout tray.
I am think of replacing them with 6V golf cart batteries. Has anybody done this on a 03 JourneyDL? How many did you put in? Looks like there is only room for 3 batteries in the tray. Can you put in 3 6V batteries in and wire 2 in series and then 1 in parallel with the 2 in series?
I would be interested in what others have done in this situation?
Thanks for all the help everybody gives

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Old 03-03-2005, 03:43 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I thought mine were shot when one boiled over but all seem to be fine now. Why do you think you have to replace yours so soon. I was in touch with Trojan several times and the rep certainly didn't think the batteries should require replacement so soon.

I doubt that you can connect two 6v in series (neg to pos and pos to neg to provide 12V) and then add a 6V. If I had been required to replace my three 12V (it would have been under warranty) I was simply going to replace the three Trojans with three of the same. If 6v "are" really that much better, then I'd go for four 6V batteries and I assume (but would sure check it out precisely) each pair would be connected in series to get 12V and then the two sets of 2 would be connected in parallel (but I have to say my understanding is weak enough that I'd really want to be sure this was correct by checking with the manufacturer first). I "think" my tray will hold four 6V batteries (but will certainly make sure that IS the case before I get out my Visa card).
Old 03-04-2005, 07:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The reason I think they may need replacing is they don't hold a charge very long. I will have them tested by a Trojan battery dealer. Looking at the tray, to me, it dowen't look like it will hold 4 6v batteries. If they need replaced I will probably look at the 3 12v.

Thanks for your reply.

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Old 03-04-2005, 08:58 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I just went outside and looked at my trays - no way I can get 4 in either. So it would mean 2 x 6v. When mine have to be replaced I'll stick with 3 x 12V as well - unless, of course, someone convinces me that 2 x 6V would be better than 3 x 12V.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Tom, Two years sounds kind of fast for your batteries to be used up. have you tried removing and cleaning the cables and posts. When you replace them use dialectric grease, I did this to ours and it helped a lot to get more of a charge in them and have it last longer. If you have an inverter you could run the equalize that helps ours also. Nice to see you are nearby with nearly the same rig.
Bob
rvrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 07:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem in 2004. My 2002 coach batteries couldn't hold a charge for longer than 2 hours with nothing on other than small leeching systems. They were Trojan 12V and they repeatedly boiled over after refilling and recharging.

Went to Sam's club and got 3 12V deep cycle 27F's (Interstate's I think) and have had no problems since. No boil outs; and they can run for 2-3 days with fans and furnaces on.

During my investigations on the 'why did this happen', we went to several dealerships and rv shows. The common theme at both places concerning the batteries was sales folks don't care about batteries. On the lots and in the show rooms, we encountered coach after coach with drained batteries. The salesman cure was to just start the generator or leave the batteries on till we were done looking at the coach.

My thought is that if I buy another new coach, I will negotiate for fresh batteries before I leave the lot. I also believe most new coaches that have been at a dealer for longer than 30 days have severely drained (deep cycled) batteries and their lives are very short indeed.

We've found that new, maintained 12v deepcycle batteries work as well as the 6v and seem to be cheaper for the same amount of amp/hours. The caveat is that we don't strain ours by doing a lot of boondocking...so your applications may call for the more expensive 6v.

Hope it works out for you.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 05:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank for the replies
rvrat, when you equalize do you disconnect anything so the higher voltage does not get into the electronics fo the coach?
I am going to take the batteries out clean and paint the tray, there is some junk on them.
While the batteries are out I am going to have them tested. I bought this coach about 6 months ago and I don't think the batteries were maintained properly.

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Old 03-06-2005, 06:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Williams:
Looks like there is only room for 3 batteries in the tray. Can you put in 3 6V batteries in and wire 2 in series and then 1 in parallel with the 2 in series?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>You of course would put two six volt batteries in series to produce 12 volts. If you mean wire the other six volt battery in parallel with one of the other two that are in series, I wouldn't do that. I think charging would be an issue, and when a load is applied, the single six volt battery would discharge at a different rate than the two that are in parallel. You would wind up with about the effective ampre-hours as just two six volt batteries in series.

If you mean parallel a 12 volt battery with two six volt batteries in series, I wouldn't do that either.

John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Tom, My owners manual has a proceedure to equalize the batteries. I believe the most important is to turn off your coach battery connect switch to eliminate any of the high voltage that could damage many things. The whole proceedure takes about eight hours and requires good battery ventilation. Check the water levels in the cells they need to be at the correct level but not too full or you will have a mess.
Bob
rvrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I am having a problem with my Trojan coach batteries also. My 04 Journey is 18 mo old and the batteries have started to boil over and the sides bulge. Is it possible that the converter/charge is over charging the batteries. I would hate to replace them to have another set ruined.

Charles
chzgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I like what one battery manufacturer has stated:
"Batteries don't die, they are murdered"!
Here are a few links for those that want to learn more about batteries and how to take care of them:
http://www.dcbattery.com/faq.html#1
http://www.usbattery.com/care.htm
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Bat...ery%20Charging
www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm
Hope this will be of some help in this field.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:49 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I find it very strange that some Winnebago owners are having a problem with Trojan batteries. Trojan is just about the premier name in high quality deep cycles, so I would have to suspect the charging system in those rigs are the problem. Certainly the symptoms described here are consistent with overcharging. On the other hand, Winnebagos aren't known for this sort of problem either, so it is really a mystery. Can any of you who are having this probelm identify what make and model of converter/charger is installed in your rig? Maybe Winnebago picked up a batch that is poorly regulated, either because of a defect in the converter or maybe because they ran short of their regular unit and had to buy a lower quality one to keep the assembly line running.

You can't conclude much by putting in new batteries because overcharging won't cause failures for several months or more likely 12-24 months.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:06 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

My three Trojans are XHS30's and my inverter/charger si Dimensions 2000.

One battery boiled over and the other two got very hot. It was thought that perhaps it had a short. After they cooled down I took one out of the system. I then got a new charger (to use on the chassis batteries) and charged the coach battery that boiled over. It charged fully and the charger didn't indicate any faults at all. It is back in service and I stress tested the three of them by cutting off the 50 amp service and using the 12V system through the inverter to run the microwave (while communicating with Trojan). The voltage dropped as expexted during the test but bounced back to 12.6V fairly quickly. So all three are in service now and if there is a problem I won't find out until I have to rely on them up the road. Needless to say, I have my fingers crossed.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:21 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

My batteries are Trojan XHS30's and my charger inverter is a Xantrex Freedom 20. I am speaking to Trojan they asked if the solar charger could be causing the overcharge problem.

Charles
2004 Journey
chzgil is offline   Reply With Quote