Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Removing/replacing Sharp Micro/conv oven

Hello Winny owners,

Has anyone removed/replaced their Sharp 1870 microwave/convection oven lately for repairs that has the mirrors around the back-splash? Mine is due tomorrow and as close as things fit in that corner over the range I am a little concerned about the mirrors surrounding the range on the back-splash. As heavy as that thing is it looks like a very good situation where one or more of those mirrors could get broken, or at least scratched badly. And I imagine it would be a nightmare getting one off the wall and an exact replacement back in place, that is if an exact replacement is even available.

Any experience along this line? Appreciate any help suggestions.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Wagonmaster2,
I have removed and replaced the sanyo 1875 convection microwave oven in my 04 Journey 34H. The details are a little bit fuzzy but here goes. In my rig, the microwave is mounted above the range and instead of a mirrored backsplash, I have a small window.
It seems that there are both screws on top and at the bottom of the microwave and I have a fuzzy recollection that when the screws are removed that the microwave slides freely to the front just enough for it to clear some mounting brackets. The power cord needs to be unplugged after it is removed I think. But the microwave weighs around 90lb and I needed someone to help me remove and reinstall it. I used cardboard and pillows to avoid scratching the countertop. Not an easy job but doable.

jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Hello Winny owners,

Has anyone removed/replaced their Sharp 1870 microwave/convection oven lately for repairs that has the mirrors around the back-splash? Mine is due tomorrow and as close as things fit in that corner over the range I am a little concerned about the mirrors surrounding the range on the back-splash. As heavy as that thing is it looks like a very good situation where one or more of those mirrors could get broken, or at least scratched badly. And I imagine it would be a nightmare getting one off the wall and an exact replacement back in place, that is if an exact replacement is even available.

Any experience along this line? Appreciate any help suggestions.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
This won't be quite the answer you were looking for but it might allay your fears.

I had the dreaded "59 second" problem with mine. A tech came in, removed the m/w, fixed the problem and replaced it. No damage whatsoever. Also, it seems to me that it only weighed about 30 lbs or so. It could've been more, but not a lot more.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Just a couple of additional notes. Mine was a Sharp 1875 not Sanyo. I remember also that the front will drop down when the screws are removed and it seemed to be hinged in the rear as if mounted on hooks.
Ok, I'll compromise with Golden--70lbs.

hope this helps

jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Well the repairman got my Sharp microwave/convention 1870 unit out this morning without any problems, we just have to wait and see what happens in a few days when he brings it back to re-install it. Things will fall apart when fasteners are removed but putting it back in place is a whole different ball game.

Wagonmaster2
Old 04-05-2011, 05:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Have no fears. A professional can replace it and you will never know its been taken out. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichn2go View Post
Have no fears. A professional can replace it and you will never know its been taken out. Good Luck
I'm going to be keeping my fingers crossed. You just said the operative word though, "professional", which we all hope we have doing our work but too much of the time we don't get one.

Appreciate the "Good Luck", sure hope I don't need it.

Wagonmaster2