Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Rejuvenate headlight lens?

Need to rejuvenate one of my head light lens or replace it. Has anyone done the job? If so can you share any tips and tricks?
Old 02-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
My lenses became very foggy so I took them to WalMart where they advertise a proceedure to fix them. They actually did it twice on mine and they still are not clear. I think this was discussed somewhere on this forum before but don't remember where it is.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Meguiars Headlight & Clear Plastic Restoration Kit, Meguiars G1900, headlight polish kit, restore yellow headlights, plastx polish kit, meguiars

I am a Meguiar's fan. Here are my before and after pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-06-26_07-41-05_565.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	17594   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-06-26_07-47-38_529.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	17595  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I used Meguiars on mine (2006 Fleetwood Revolution) 8 months ago. They still look like new. Took less than 30 minutes for both. I recommend it.
Dukeinhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

They sell kits to do them which you can purchase at WalMart or any automotive supply store. You can also do it with some wet sandpaper, rubbing compound, poish and clear sealer.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Apply most any auto polish and remove with a buffer...
Lowhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Haven’t done my MH lenses, yet, but they will get the treatment sometime this year. Last year my car mechanic, also a MH owner, told me he wasn’t going to be able to pass my 2000 Chrysler on state inspection much longer, as the headlights were so aged, pitted, and fogged. I bought a 3M kit to do the job. It took considerable intestinal fortitude to chuck what looked like a pretty coarse sanding disk in my old Craftsman drill and apply it to the plastic. And the feeling just got worse as I covered the first lens with swirling scratches, rendering the whole surface completely opaque. But, what the heck, it is an old car, and new headlight assemblies would cost several hundred dollars. But, carefully following the directions, after the succeeding finer disks and polish, those lenses came out stunningly clearer than original—not a trace of a scratch left!

My best tips are to have a good sitting place while working, so you can brace yourself and control the drill easily with both hands. Place extra emphasis on the instruction to tape around your headlight—use plenty of tape. An extra couple of layers will allow you to rub the sanding head right up against the edges for a complete job without hurting the surrounding paint or trim.

My mechanic couldn’t believe his eyes when he next saw my car. He says there are several products out there that make big promises but are not worth a hoot. I can confidently recommend the 3M kit. Good luck and fly low!
Old 02-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Consider Mothers Power Ball Headlight Restoration Kit. Easy to do and works on my lenses for one year. Just a touch up one a year and they are like new.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I did mine last year, they were rough it made them 75% better. I wasn't happy so I bought new ones off e-bay (same as my 1997 F-250), yet to be installed. Jim
Old 02-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I have used the Mequiars lens cleaner/polish on both my motor home and tow car. I did a good job and was pretty easy to do. I have the reflectors on both motor home headlights severly yellowed and not much reflection left. I bought two new headlights but have not changed them out yet. Will do that soon. Don't know why the yellowing as it's covered when not in use. Any Ideas?
les claassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #11

3M kit at any auto parts store... count on 2x the length of time they claim to get it done....
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Consumer's Reports just did an evaluation on 4 systems in the March 2012 issue, The Sylvania kit came out on top, with the 3M next, but the Meguiar's wasn't one of the 4. I have no experience with any of them.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Use tooth paste--it's a cheap fix and it does work.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
I had mine done at Lazy Days last year as part of the purchase of my 2004. Better, but not great. After I learned that the headlight was from a 2001-04 Nissan Frontier, I bought a new aftermarket set on eBay for $80. A much better solution for me, I'd suggest you price replacing them.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

I buy a product in Quartzite. I use it for headlamps, aluminum wheels, gel coat, shower glass and most any other surface. Flitz w a wool wheel does a great job.
Stnlss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

I have used the 3M kit on my Dynasty. It does work but after less then 1 season it was back almost as bad as before. I touched it up again but it fogging up again. I was able to buy replacement Headlamps at a very good price (they are BMW units from a 90s series car the number is on the lens). The ones I bought were used but perfect clear lenses. I also replaced the adjusting post cost was $6. I believe that once they are done there is no way they will remain clear for any normal time. Perhaps the sanding etc. Just my experience, yours may be different.
Robert
Old 02-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

3m for real bad lenses. Mcguires (sp) did not touch them
Old 02-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I've seen both good and not so good results. You might see what the headlights cross-reference to; for example, my Itasca uses Chevrolet Suburban headlights, which can be purchased for pretty reasonable prices on sites like ebay. ($32-38) Replacing them could be far less labor intensive, and you'll know that they for sure will look 'brand-new' after they are installed. And, as already noted from another post, you won't need to do it again in one year.
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

You might first Google the full headlight assembly. It seems that recently the prices of the entire assemblies have fallen through the floor.

Jeep Cherokee entire assembly with bulbs in the $60-70ea range and Lexus RX300 the same. Replacing the assembly may often take less than 15-30min and be brand new all over again. I know a couple years back these were in the multi-hundred dollar range. Lots of how-to videos on line as well.

I used to polish and when I saw those prices I replaced in less time than it took to polish with new bulbs to boot!
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote