Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Reinforcement of the battery compartment floor

I’ve just upgraded house batteries to 6 x Lifeline 4 GPL-6-CTs batteries - 492 pounds. Should I reinforce the battery storage compartment floor?

2002 Ultimate Advantage 40J
Leshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshka View Post
I’ve just upgraded house batteries to 6 x Lifeline 4 GPL-6-CTs batteries - 492 pounds. Should I reinforce the battery storage compartment floor?

2002 Ultimate Advantage 40J
what did your original batteries weigh?
i think that my 2 gpl-6ct's are ok, but not 2 more. there is room if i move the starting battery. if i did add 2 more, i would definitely have to reinforce my battery compartment. i wouldn't want to be dragging those expensive batteries down the road by their cables.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i think that my 2 gpl-6ct's are ok, but not 2 more. there is room if i move the starting battery. if i did add 2 more, i would definitely have to reinforce my battery compartment. i wouldn't want to be dragging those expensive batteries down the road by their cables.
The 2001 had a weakness in the stepwell/battery box area. Keep a close eye on your electric steps. The sheetmetal in the stepwell area is so thin that the bolts securing the electric steps will fatigue the metal where they mount to the coach so that it cracks and they then pull through. All Winnebago gas coaches manufactured around that year 99 to 2003 (more or less I really don't remember exactly) will be prone to this and should be reinforced.

If your steps don't align with the bottom of the panel beneath the door or have become springy they you are most likely at risk of having them fail while you are standing on them.

You can get another set of batteries however you only get one you.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

thanks for the info neil. the springiness of the steps haven't changed since i have had it. it still stops too. winne strikes again. have you reinforced your steps?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 04-19-2010, 04:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Leshka,

I have a 2002 Ultimate Advantage 40j and am curious where you put 6 batteries?

The tray configuration on mine limits battery placement to 3 house and 2 chassis.

I'm assuming 2 of your 6 batteries are for engine starting....how'd you get 4 in the place of 3?

PS....If it was me, I'd find a way to reinforce the battery compartment. It is susceptible to rusting, exposed to elements, and not very well protected paint wise.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua40j View Post
I have a 2002 Ultimate Advantage 40j and am curious where you put 6 batteries?
I have the same tiny compartment with 2 trays. Could not fit any dissent 12V batteries in there. However after I removed both trays I was able to fit 6 AGM 300 amp–hours batteries. I could’ve installed one large extra heavy duty slide and put house and chassis batteries on it. But my budget is tight. Besides I have to change my chassis batteries so if I upgraded them to AGM as well I would not need a tray for easy maintenance.

“Dry fit“:

As you can see there is a nice clearance around all the batteries. I’m thinking to add small frame to a floor. I’d probably use 1.5” angle profiles… just to hold the batteries in place. Install 175psi Anti Vibration Pad to prolong battery life. Strap the batteries together (house and chassis separately of course). And probably reinforce the floor a bit even though it looks well reinforced already.

Does this make sense?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
The original batteries are about 120 lb. I've just checked.. The compartment is well reinforced at the bottom. I'd probably weld a couple of cross bars just to be on the safe side. But the thing is... I don't like to guess and thought there should be a spec from the Winnebago somewhere.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Interesting. How do you connect the batteries? Looks a little tight......

Old 04-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Interesting. How do you connect the batteries? Looks a little tight......
Plenty of space.... Besides I want to connect them in "balance" manner, so they perform much better.

I can pre-wire batteries first and then connect them to positive and negative terminals.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Great idea! Nice seeing it in pictures. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Jim,

What is the large plastic tank above the batteries?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 04-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

That is your water tank. All 100 gallons of it.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I'm not familiar with Lifeline batteries, do they need water?

Just found out they are sealed lead acid.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
I'm not familiar with Lifeline batteries, do they need water?

Just found out they are sealed lead acid.
lifelines are absorbed glass mat batteries, they are sealed and never need water. they can be mounted upside down or on their sides (as in my installation) and do not leak.. they are certified to operate upside down in acrobatic aircraft. the downside is their initial price, although they last longer. i got mine from bd batteries online. their prices include shipping. check these resources.

RVcruzer.com Electrical Tutorial - Chapter 7 - Batteries and Chargers

Batteries -- and Other Electric Stuff by phred

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Deep Cycle Battery FAQ

http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/

http://www.bdbatteries.com/rvflyer.php?id=15
Old 04-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
That is your water tank. All 100 gallons of it.
Thanks
Old 04-20-2010, 03:32 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
thanks for the info neil. the springiness of the steps haven't changed since i have had it. it still stops too. winne strikes again. have you reinforced your steps?
Dan,

Yes I reinforced my step mount. Mine had not changed since I bought it used but I was suspicious as it was more springy than my old Vectra and a bit crooked so I did some more checking and found the bolts about to pull through as the steel had cracked all around the welds on the bolt heads closest to the outside edge of the mount. I had to cut out the top of the bottom step to get to the mounts so I could insert some angle iron from above to reinforce the mount and have not had any issues since. Just about every Winnebago gas coach from the late 1990's to 2002/2003 I checked on any dealers lot after that has had this problem to some extent.

Regards,
Old 04-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Ouch! I just looked at the price of these batteries, I think I'll stay with the ones I have.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:51 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

This danger warning is sounding like a shot in the dark. I have a 2003 Suncruiser and the steps are bit springy but I am a big guy. Were there any recalls or warnings regarding the steps? And do you remember what exact years? Source of this knowledge?
Don't mean to get picky but I am curious now.
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:39 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaravelli View Post
This danger warning is sounding like a shot in the dark. I have a 2003 Suncruiser and the steps are bit springy but I am a big guy. Were there any recalls or warnings regarding the steps? And do you remember what exact years? Source of this knowledge?
Don't mean to get picky but I am curious now.
i don't know the answers to most of your questions.
i have been checking my steps regularly for a couple of years now due to info about cracks on this forum, especially after installing heavier batteries. my battery box does appear to be mounted separately from my step mounts.
recently, i found a crack in the ob forward and aft step mounts. the consensus is that a proper repair requires cutting out the step floor and installing reinforcing metal on top of the lower floor where the step mounts, then reinstalling the step floor somehow. i don't have the time, tools or welder available now to do that.
first, i stop drilled the cracks from the bottom with a 1/8 drill.
then i drilled a 5/8'' hole from the bottom through the cracks in the fwd and aft ob areas with a long 12'' drill. i then installed 5'' long 5/8 bolts with fender washers through the top of the step to the bottom with more washers and lock washers.
this firmed up my mushy steps. i don't know how long this fix will last, but it is a quick, economical, and easy procedure.
Attached Images

Tags
40j, battery, compartment, storage, ultimate advantage