Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Recommended Satellite TV

There are a lot of posts about the various systems and it seems to be confusing to me.

Here's what I want to accomplish:
1. Low profile satellite dish that will automatically lock on the proper position.
2. HD Channels (DirectTV preferred, but Dish will be ok too)
3. A receiver box that will fit easily into the RV.

Given the above, what do you recommend?

Also how long does it take to install such a unit? Is this something a service department can do in a day or are there a lot of things that have to be ordered? Can I just look for someone who can install this ad hoc for me? (I guess what I'm getting at is whether this is a complicated installation)

Looking forward to participating in this forum more in the future!
jmraz73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have DISH.

I had the Winegard Trav'ler installed by the local Satellite. He came to the CG took him about 3 hours to install and configure the system. $1400.00 installed

Receiver is the VIP 722k. The 722 gives you HD and SD on TV 1 and SD only on TV 2

When I get to my spot for the night I push one button on the Trav'lers controller and the dish automatically locks on to the 3 satellites. Couldn't be easier.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks! Is there a solution that will allow HD on all TVs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I have DISH.

I had the Winegard Trav'ler installed by the local Satellite. He came to the CG took him about 3 hours to install and configure the system. $1400.00 installed

Receiver is the VIP 722k. The 722 gives you HD and SD on TV 1 and SD only on TV 2

When I get to my spot for the night I push one button on the Trav'lers controller and the dish automatically locks on to the 3 satellites. Couldn't be easier.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Second HD receiver connected to TV 2.

I read somewhere you could use the 922 with Sling, but don't know. Need someone smarter to stop in an answer that one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The Winegard Trav'ler in my opinion is the best roof mounted antenna for either Dish or Direct. I prefer Dish, plus you can suspend the programming if your not going to use it for a while up to six months a year. When I installed mine I mounted it on the SKA-008 optional mounting plate. It is designed to give extra support for thin roofs, while mine is not a thin roof I thought it won't hurt to add the extra support. It's not difficult to install, the hardest part is getting it on the roof. If your having it installed any competent shop should be able to do it in less then a day. When I bought mine in January 2011, the best price I found was at americanrvcompany.com.

RV Antenna - Winegard Roof Mounted RV Satellite Antennas

Chuck
Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Roof mount...Good : automatic signal, duel LNB works two receivers. Bad : signal can be blocked by trees, expensive, can be ripped off top of rig if left raised or hit by tree branch.

Free standing such as Dish Tailgater....Good : cost about $350 plus 211K Dish receiver. can be moved away from coach 100 ft to clear trees. True HD and finds all three sats. Automaticly locates sats. Set it out and point at southern sky, it does the rest. Bad : you need to chain it up or it may walk off www.dish.com/Tailgater
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

hi
we went with the winegard traveller roof mounted. that was because we'd seen too people at campgrounds moving their dish the entire time they were in the rv park. we just push one button, the dish does all the work.
our service provider is shaw (we're canadian, eh) and its the only choice as bell will not support people who full time in a motorhome
very happy with the set up and service
pdq
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

For DirecTV get the SWM Trav'ler dish.
Each TV needs it's own receiver. Get a Genie HR34 or HR44 for your main TV.
It will record up to 5 programs at the same time. And any of the other receivers can watch anything recorded on the Genie.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I'll be getting a Trav'ler system this spring. Last season, used a dish network hopper from my stick house and a tripod dish. This year with the new dish, I'll have HD satellite and dvr for both TV's with the hopper and a Joey.

Scott
Old 12-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
The Winegard Trav'ler in my opinion is the best roof mounted antenna for either Dish or Direct. I prefer Dish, plus you can suspend the programming if your not going to use it for a while up to six months a year.
Trav'ler is the best if not cheapest solution: HD, auto aiming, multiple receivers, it does it all.

Be careful of Directv if you do not want full-time service. They will suspend service for up to six months (only two suspensions per year) but during a suspension all the nice service credits they give you the first year are forfeited... even though your commitment is extended! Dish is much more consumer-friendly for those who want occasional service.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Recommended Satellite TV

I have DTV and in March 2013 i needed an Auto Sat dish fast.. i researched Winegard Traveler and called Camping World and they were so backed up they couldnt get to it for a week so found out about another company called RF Mogul, headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah. Price was the same ... i decided on RF Mogul because it is lighter in weight and if something fails in the drive mechanisim, it can be repaired without removing the whole assy from the roof like you have to do with the Winegard Traveler. Customer service is great if you call Mogul. The control box is small and super easy to use. just push the power button... Then the Search button...the dish comes up and in just a few
minutes your watching TV. Of course...if trees are blocking the dishes view of the SaTs in the southern sky you are out
of luck. So as backup,,,cuz i love my DTV...i take along the
little dome one made by Winegard... With 100 ft of coax ,,,then i can move it around trying to miss the trees...but..with DTV...it is not HD...But back to the auto dish on the roof....it withstood some pretty heavy wind gusts never went off signal. Very happy with it.....would buy it again.
Pusherdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmraz73 View Post
1. Low profile satellite dish that will automatically lock on the proper position.
If you are talking about installing a dome...ANY dome...you will NOT be able to get DirecTV's HD programming. If HD is important to you, and you want a dome-style satellite dish, then Dish Network is your only choice. However, since a dome...ANY dome...can see only one satellite at a time, if you have two or more TVs and want to watch different programming on the different TVs, you will not be able to do that unless all programs are on the same satellite.

So, IMO, forget about getting a dome...too many limitations for both DirecTV and Dish Network. As others have recommended, get the Winegard Trav'ler, either for DirecTV or Dish Network. It'll do everything you want it to do without any of the limitations of a dome.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

The Winegard Travl'r is a mini satellite dish, right? Does it fold down when the vehicle is in motion? Seems like it would not be very aerodynamic when traveling at high speeds and might rip off or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
If you are talking about installing a dome...ANY dome...you will NOT be able to get DirecTV's HD programming. If HD is important to you, and you want a dome-style satellite dish, then Dish Network is your only choice. However, since a dome...ANY dome...can see only one satellite at a time, if you have two or more TVs and want to watch different programming on the different TVs, you will not be able to do that unless all programs are on the same satellite.

So, IMO, forget about getting a dome...too many limitations for both DirecTV and Dish Network. As others have recommended, get the Winegard Trav'ler, either for DirecTV or Dish Network. It'll do everything you want it to do without any of the limitations of a dome.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

The trav'ler folds down fairly flat. It certainly does not exceed the height of any dome. I have had the Trav'ler SWM3 w/ HDTV and Genie HR44+ client for bedroom w/HDTV for a few months and absolutely love it. The dish version of the Trav'ler is a little less expensive but I think the Genie receiver is smaller than the Dish Hopper if you have limited space.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtBt View Post
The trav'ler folds down fairly flat. It certainly does not exceed the height of any dome. I have had the Trav'ler SWM3 w/ HDTV and Genie HR44+ client for bedroom w/HDTV for a few months and absolutely love it. The dish version of the Trav'ler is a little less expensive but I think the Genie receiver is smaller than the Dish Hopper if you have limited space.
I agree... This system (Trav'ler SWM-3) is an outstanding system. I love it.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmraz73 View Post
There are a lot of posts about the various systems and it seems to be confusing to me.

Given the above, what do you recommend?

Also how long does it take to install such a unit? Is this something a service department can do in a day or are there a lot of things that have to be ordered? Can I just look for someone who can install this ad hoc for me? (I guess what I'm getting at is whether this is a complicated installation)

Looking forward to participating in this forum more in the future!
Fill out your Signature so we can see what rig you have, it helps a lot.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I do a lot of boondocking so I picked Roadtrip. It is not technically as good as Traveler, but has the stealth aspect: Unless somebody is listening next to your rig, they have no idea you're looking for signal.. Great for quick stops at parking lots etc.

Also if you already have Directv at home, extra receiver is only $5 a month or so. Plus $20 for access card and receiver unless you rent the receiver (add $5 or so / mo). You can find used D11 receivers for $30-40 at eBay, so it pays off in few months to own it. Just make sure it doesn't have a "Property of Directv" sticker..

Tags
satellite, satellite tv