Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Heading out for the long awaited big retirement trip....Grand Canyon, Yellowstone....the works. Talk about excitement city. Been waiting for this trip for years. Guess We should have a satellite service; but which one? We got the Winegard dish when we ordered the coach but don't have a receiver yet. Is one service clearly better than the other? Appreciate hearing about your experiences and recommendations. Right now we're thinking of going with Dish. Is that a good choice?
BradandJanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Heading out for the long awaited big retirement trip....Grand Canyon, Yellowstone....the works. Talk about excitement city. Been waiting for this trip for years. Guess We should have a satellite service; but which one? We got the Winegard dish when we ordered the coach but don't have a receiver yet. Is one service clearly better than the other? Appreciate hearing about your experiences and recommendations. Right now we're thinking of going with Dish. Is that a good choice?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I will start the response by telling you that we have had Dish for several years and been very happy. I also want to let you know that you can file an RV waiver to get National networks from both coasts. The "distant networks" for Dish come from another company, allamericandirect.com. the necessary form is available from thecompany web site. The programming shows on your Dish menu screen and gives you the ability to view network programs wherever you maybe. we used to get these networks from dish until there was a court battle with Dish and Fox network - Dish lost.

the RV waiver is required for you to legally receive the Networks from any provider. Good Luck
Old 01-16-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Heading out for the long awaited big retirement trip....Grand Canyon, Yellowstone....the works. Talk about excitement city. Been waiting for this trip for years. Guess We should have a satellite service; but which one? We got the Winegard dish when we ordered the coach but don't have a receiver yet. Is one service clearly better than the other? Appreciate hearing about your experiences and recommendations. Right now we're thinking of going with Dish. Is that a good choice? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brad,

Either one will work with your satellite dish. The easiest one to operate is Direct TV. I have had both services and switched to DirecTv recently.

Directv has all the channels on one satellite, where as Dish Network has them spread out over two satellites. This requires that the satellite dish needs to be moved from one satellite to the other depending which channel you want to watch. It also requires that you reset the receiver to get the Guide updated, which was the biggest hassle as it took about 4-5 minutes to do the reset. Switching satellites is not much of a problem as some dishes do it automatically. Not having to deal with these issues on Directv is what makes them easier to operate and why I switched.
Additional you may not be able to get Distant Networks Service on Dish Network anymore. They did not play by the FCC rules and were told by the courts to discontinue providing this service either this month or last. You may want to check up on the DNS issue as I don't know all the exact details.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to you both for your response. Guess I need to do some more homework. I don't know what 'Distant Networks' is or if I need it. Won't I be able to get NBC, CBS, and ABC anywhere I go? What is the purpose of the RV Waiver? I think my satellite dish is automatic. At least that is what I was told. It has GPS. All I have to do is turn it on and it will automatically acquire the satellite or whichever satellite is appropriate. Does this make sense?
Old 01-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Distance Network Services (DNS) allows you to receive the major network feeds wherever you are parked. They will be out of New York or California. If you have local channels on satellite, you can only receive them when you are in your home area, so subscribing to DNS is the solution to receiving major networks while on the road.

The waiver is necessary to meet FCC requirements regarding receiving network broadcasts in remote locations, such as when traveling in an RV. Go to the sattelite service website and search for DNS and it will explain how to apply for the waiver. You have to send in a copy of your RV registration to prove you are eligible for DNS.

I subscribe to DirecTV, and I agree with the prior post -- DirecTV is simpler to use with DNS.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Here's a link to some DNS nfo on the DirecTv site. The only way to get the major networks is with DNS or by subscribing to your local networks. I THINK the local networks are only available if you an account at your home. You then take the home rx with you on the road. Not totally sure how that works - the FCC really complicates things. I believe the purpose is to protect the local broadcasters. I use DirecTv with DNS, but I'm sure dish is fine too, if you can get the networks.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all who responded. I'm glad I asked because you have been a big help. Now I'm going with DirecTV with DNS.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BradandJaneen </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good choice, you won't be sorry.
Good luck - Glenn!
Old 01-17-2007, 04:33 AM   #10
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Is there an additional charge for the DNR service if you already have Direct TV in your home?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:22 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Yep. In fact if you already have DirecTV in your home they probably will charge you for a full new service ($36?) for the MH as you are not allowed to receive DNS in your home unless you are unable to 1) receive local networks off the air, or 2) have local network services provided via the satellite.

It's worth a call to discuss this with DirecTV to see what their solution was. I had to cancel my local satellite channels to get DNS for the RV (I no longer use the satellite at home -- got cable). So I pay for both cable at home and satellite with DNS for the RV.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote