Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Recharging house batteries get rotten egg smell

Batteries 4.5 years old (Interstate deep cycle) getting smell when my converter was charging. Thought the batteries was issue so brought new five days ago now getting smell again when converter charges them.
How can one tell if converter is overcharging? At least that is the only thing I think could be happening.
Currently near Phoenix but it is about 80 degrees daytime 60 night time so I do not think it is a heat issue. Any suggestions for possible cause and/or remedies would be appreciated.
hscole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I would put a volt meter on the batteries and see what they are charging at.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscole View Post
Batteries 4.5 years old (Interstate deep cycle) getting smell when my converter was charging. Thought the batteries was issue so brought new five days ago now getting smell again when converter charges them.
How can one tell if converter is overcharging? At least that is the only thing I think could be happening.
Currently near Phoenix but it is about 80 degrees daytime 60 night time so I do not think it is a heat issue. Any suggestions for possible cause and/or remedies would be appreciated.
A inexpensive multi meter can be bought at any hardware store, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot.......to get a DC voltage reading on the output of the converter.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Have you checked the electrolyte, it is possible for lead acid batteries to emit
Hydrogen Sulfide or some other form of malodorous sulfur gas when high charging a cell that has low electrolyte. Add distilled water to cover the plates and it should be OK.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
Have you checked the electrolyte, it is possible for lead acid batteries to emit
Hydrogen Sulfide or some other form of malodorous sulfur gas when high charging a cell that has low electrolyte. Add distilled water to cover the plates and it should be OK.
X2. You probably need to add distilled water. Same thing happened to me because of the way I installed my EZ fill hardware. I ended up replacing my batteries because they couldn't hold much of a charge afterwards.

Since you have new batteries and you have checked electrolyte level it may be an over voltage issue. I doubt that you would be getting a smell unless your electrolytes are being cooked off.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Don't know if your new batteries are sealed or if they have the service ports for adding water, but if they have the service ports check and see if the battery top is wet around the service ports. This would indicate that they are being over charged. You will want to check your water level if this is the case. Use distilled water only.
litewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

FWIW it could be normal. It partly depends on how sensitive you are. Lead acid batteries do emit a bit of hydrogen sulfide during normal charging. This would be especially true if the charge level was low to start. I'd keep an eye on water usage or consider adding mineral oil. If the water usage is low then you are not boiling the batteries but you may have a really good sniffer. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries, smell