Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

OK here's a stretch.

The first of each month I check on my 2003 Winnie Brave that's in storage (indoors). I do a walk-around, check tires, coach batteries (fluid). I then start the engine, check the lights, look around for any vermin intruders, etc.. while the engine warms-up.

While sitting in the captain's chair checking the gauges, I flip on the rear camera and screen (works fine) and then I flip the dash toggle that starts an auxiliary fan that blows heat back through the coach ductwork.

The fan loudly growls for a few seconds then stops, at what appeared to be the identical time the rearview screen goes blank. It's almost like the fan may have shorted and blown a fuse that was common for both the fan and the screen. (Which just doesn't sound quit right to me. But on the same fuse?)

Now I haven't checked my Owners manuals as yet... and the winter season and location isn't too conducive for amateur repair yet. But I though I would try this forum on the off change this may sound familiar to someone.

Any takers?
Old 02-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

OK here's a stretch.

The first of each month I check on my 2003 Winnie Brave that's in storage (indoors). I do a walk-around, check tires, coach batteries (fluid). I then start the engine, check the lights, look around for any vermin intruders, etc.. while the engine warms-up.

While sitting in the captain's chair checking the gauges, I flip on the rear camera and screen (works fine) and then I flip the dash toggle that starts an auxiliary fan that blows heat back through the coach ductwork.

The fan loudly growls for a few seconds then stops, at what appeared to be the identical time the rearview screen goes blank. It's almost like the fan may have shorted and blown a fuse that was common for both the fan and the screen. (Which just doesn't sound quit right to me. But on the same fuse?)

Now I haven't checked my Owners manuals as yet... and the winter season and location isn't too conducive for amateur repair yet. But I though I would try this forum on the off change this may sound familiar to someone.

Any takers?
Old 02-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

That's how it is on mine. I rewired my monitor into the cig lighter, it is always hot. That way I can have the monitor on while parked for lunch or anytime if I hear strange noises outside.

I fixed my fan once, now it is locked up again. I'm going to pull the water heater in the next few weeks & see if I can make a permanent fix.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Had same problem with our 2001 Adventurer. I never fixed the blower motor. Never needed it anyway.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your info...

Appreciated.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Mine is the same way. I lifted the dash and unplug the wires from the back of the blower switch. The blower froze up years ago. I was always blowing the fuse by bumping it when cleaning the windshield. No more problem.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DancinCampers:
That's how it is on mine. I rewired my monitor into the cig lighter, it is always hot. That way I can have the monitor on while parked for lunch or anytime if I hear strange noises outside.

I fixed my fan once, now it is locked up again. I'm going to pull the water heater in the next few weeks & see if I can make a permanent fix. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dan & Sharon,

Sounds like your blower fan is located behind the water heater? If mines the same way, I have to access the water heater from the outside basment door just forward from my entrance door and steps... pull the heater to get to the fan....?? Oh My! I hope not!

First I'll check my manual. If it is the same, guess I'll just pull the wire to the toggle like RV_Boy did.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Jim & Carol,
Mine is behind the water heater. Here is a link to my post concerning repair:

Aux Fan

Hope this helps.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DancinCampers:
Jim & Carol,

Aux Fan

Hope this helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dan and Sharon (and Kasey too),

Thanks once more...

I'm always amazed at just how much good information is so readily available on this site.

I wish I could shake all your hands.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Jim & Carol,

Aux Fan

Hope this helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the pictures. They were great. What did you find that was causing the noise? Mine makes the same noise as all the rest. My heater has rarely been used. Was it a bad motor or the blower rubbing on something?

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:32 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Don, the inside of the squirrel cage was binding up against the motor housing where the shaft emerges. A little hard to explain. The inside of the cage is cone shaped, tapering towards the end where the spring is. The cage is only pressure fitted onto the shaft and the spring is supposed to keep it from moving on the shaft, but doesn't do a very good job. Over time the cage moves toward the motor, when it moves enough the inside cone binds on the motor housing.

I'm thinking of removing the spring & tapping for an allen screw, then after marking the hole on the shaft making a flat spot with my dremel. I'm not sure how hard the shaft is, but think this would be easier than drilling thru and putting in a press pin. Or maybe putting some nylon washers on the shaft between the motor housing & cage. Will have a better idea when I have it out again.

This unit is made by the same folks who do the dash air, but I haven't been able to get any info to see if they have a redesigned cage.

I vaguely remember someone posting several years ago about a replacement fan they installed on their unit, but haven't been able to find the post yet.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Thanks Dan for the valuable info. Now I know what to look for when I tackle mine.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

there is another thread i read recently about repairing the blower motor to fan attachment with epoxy to keep it from shifting. he had pictures. i cannot find it now. he also said that the blower cost $200+. he said you reach part of the system from the panels in front of the passenger seat, and take the water heater out to reach the rest of it from the basement compartment.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

This may be it

Aux Fan
Old 06-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

This may be it

Aux Fan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
DATS DA 1
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote