Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2005, 12:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

The rear TV in my 2004 Journey begin having problems with the picture. Red and blue patches would cover most of the screen I thought the TV tube was bad and replaced the TV. Now I am having the same problem with the new TV. I put a filter on the power cord but this has not helped. It does not matter if the setting is antenna or cable . Has anyone hade a similar problem or any ideas on a fix.
Thanks
Charles
2004 Journey 39Q
chzgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The rear TV in my 2004 Journey begin having problems with the picture. Red and blue patches would cover most of the screen I thought the TV tube was bad and replaced the TV. Now I am having the same problem with the new TV. I put a filter on the power cord but this has not helped. It does not matter if the setting is antenna or cable . Has anyone hade a similar problem or any ideas on a fix.
Thanks
Charles
2004 Journey 39Q
Old 05-10-2005, 02:41 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Check for magnets in close proximity.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

No magnets anywhere. I was thinking maybe the switch in the front of the coach could cause the problem?
Old 05-12-2005, 03:58 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I think an open shield on the cable, either at the switch box or at the back of the TV, could allow a source of interference in to the set. Can you buy a new cable at RS, and connect it to the back of the TV and run it down the hall to the front of the rig, connect to back of switch box, and see what happens? If you are home, you might run the temp cable out the window and to your house cable splitter, just to try.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:45 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: I think Capt. Bill has the idea. When troubleshooting electonic stuff the key is to isolate the problem by eliminating various pieces until the right one is found. As I recall, there is a preamp for the antenna. Is that also in the path for cable? It has been so long since I replaced our A/V stuff with better stuff that I don't remember how it was originally. Anyway, you can feed the rear TV from a separate source and see if the problem goes away, then backtrack to the current source until the problem is found. Good luck.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have checked the cable at the switch box and behind the tv there are no visible problems at either spot. I will try running a cable from the switch box to the tv to see if there could be a problem inbetween. The problem is interminent it may last a day or two the it's ok for a few hours then it reoccures.
Thanks for the suggestions I will try what you have sugggested.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

In a former life, I was a TV tech (a long-long time ago!)

If you have areas (like 4 or 5 inches or greater) on the tube where there are "splotches" of wrong color, then either A) your degausser (demagnetiser) is bad, or B) you have a strong source of magnetism nearby as hamguy said.

TV demagnetizers are just a coil of wire around the perimeter of the front of the CRT (picture tube) that are energized for a few seconds when the TV is turned on to demagnetize the tube. If you have a strong source of magnetism nearby, the demagnetizer cannot counter a persistent source.

--John
(also a ham guy - wb5tht)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Would a defective floresent lite transformer be causing your problem? ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

chzgil;
I had a problem with a/c blower starting when I turned the light on by the bathroom. I checked everything. I called Winni and they told me it could be a bad ballast in a light. I switched lights and sure enough my problems stopped. They told me they had reports of bad ballasts turning tvs on and off.

If all your lights are off and tv still acts up you can eliminate the ballast.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The color areas on the TV cover most of the screen 1/3 red, 1/3 normal,1/3 blue this is the second TV to have the same problem so I don't think it's the TV. I know of no magnetic source anywhere near the TV.
I thought about the light ballast but the problem occures with them on or off.
Could the switch box in the front of the coach be the problem?
Old 05-13-2005, 06:10 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Are the colored areas repeatable? That is, do they appear in the same locations on the screen every time you turn the TV on? And does it happen if the RV is parked in different locations? I agree it seems to be a gaussing problem. Maybe a radio transmitter, a large transformer, or motor nearby? Could it be something outside?
Old 05-13-2005, 06:28 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

This problem sure is a bummer,us experts can't figure it out yet. Do you have cabinets on either side of tv, checked to see what is store in them? Anything mtg on the roof above tv?
I don't think anything up front would cause this your front tv would have same problem. --"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:02 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Wow - what a head scratcher...

Two more things to try:

- Shut off everything in the coach. Pull the power to it, activitate the battery disconnect. Try running the TV off of an extension cord plugged in outside of the coach.

- Pull the TV out. Does it work okay outside of the coach? If yes, move it back into the coach into different loactions. How does it do then?

Let us know what you find.

-John

Old 05-13-2005, 01:47 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
I will try to isolate the problem over the weekend and update ya'll on Monday.
Thanks again for all the help!
Charles
Old 05-13-2005, 02:39 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

The gen set coils might cause some induction troubles or a degaussing magnetic source. Does the colors appear after you have ran your gen set? If so, do they need to put sometype of shield beneath the rear TV for protection.

Ford V10
Rapid Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:51 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

The TV outside of the coach had no problems. So it appears to be coach related. Winnebago cust service suggested I loosen the hold down clamp slightly because it could be pressing the casing against the picture tube. I will try that next.
I'll update you when I see what happens.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:31 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

I don't think I buy the hold-down clamp suggestion, but who knows?

Let's be sure the TV degausser works:

-Turn on the TV (do this outside the coach or wherever it works okay)

-Get a refrig magnet or a magnet strong enough to magnetize the TV CRT (the tube)

-Hold the magnet near the screen (anywhere on the face) to change the purity (your splotches of color)

-Okay - you now have a magnetized tube because you can see bad purity

-Turn off the TV and then turn it on. The degausser is energized for a few seconds and the TV now has good purity

-If you still have the bad splotches (bad purity), then the degausser is bad

-If all is well, then the TV is okay

-You could try this while applying pressure around the case of the TV (this I doubt as a cause)

Another thought occured to me. Why not dump the CRT-type TV for an LCD panel. This isn't exactly diagnosing the problem, but it WILL fix the problem. In addition, you have less weight and a smaller size for mounting flexibility.

--John