Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

rear tv channels

I have 2002 adventure 35u with the box in the overhead front compartment to select the source to view your tv. I do not get all of the channels on the rear tv that I get on the front. I am using my batwing anttenae. when we are on cable everything seems fine. it has been this way every since I have had it. I checked all the connections in the overhead cabinet and behind the tv. I now have an HD tv in the back with the same results. does anyone have any ideas as to what to check for? is the coax going to the rear tv a straight shot or is there a connection some where that might be loose?
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

MIKF I have been having the same problem with mine I think it is the switches wearing out in the box. If I switch back and forth many times this will often fix the problem for awhile. Will take the box out soon and clean with tuner cleaner from radio shack some day this may help but feel the box will need to be repaced.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Did you go into your TV's menu and have it do a channel search? It needs to find the channels each time you change the source (i.e., cable, antenna, etc.)
Mike
Old 01-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Could just be that you have 2 different TV's. I have had this problem in past MH's. Some TV's have a better tuner. Usually rear TV's are a cheaper model than the main one.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Have owned unit from new, frt and rear tv worked the same for the first 8 yrs, rear tv not getting all ch. has only happened for the last few yrs and this is getting worse with time as I said before switching the box many times will fix the problem for awhile. So would guess it is the box/
Old 01-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
I have 2002 adventure 35u with the box in the overhead front compartment to select the source to view your tv. I do not get all of the channels on the rear tv that I get on the front. I am using my batwing anttenae. when we are on cable everything seems fine. it has been this way every since I have had it. I checked all the connections in the overhead cabinet and behind the tv. I now have an HD tv in the back with the same results. does anyone have any ideas as to what to check for? is the coax going to the rear tv a straight shot or is there a connection some where that might be loose?
Mine is the same way and I have checked everything. There was a post some time ago that gave suggestions on what could be wrong and we still have the same situation. One poster said that the tuners are different if the TVs are not the same brand and model. I noticed that when on cable you said they get the same channels, so I would think that the tuners ARE the culprit. We haven't been on cable yet.

That info helps. Thanks, Joe
Old 01-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The tuners not being from the same manufacture mean that they can have a different sensitivity to the signal being supplied. In most cases the "booster" is near the main tv. It may be the problem in not being able to supply a high enough signal level to the rear tv. To see if it may be a booster problem, (when on the batwing) switch the cable from the front and rear tv on the booster and see what happens. Of course, your labeling will be wrong on the booster. If it is the booster, it can be replaced. If it is not the booster and the signals remain the same, you could have a loose or bad connection on the line going to the rear tv. That is a hard one to check, but it can be done with an ohm meter. Disconnect the lead at both ends of the coax and meter across the center conductor and shield (ground). You should not see a reading between the two if the wire is not connected at either end. If you do see a reading on the ohm meter - replace the wire. If the wire is good, try another booster closer to the rear tv. They are relatively inexpensive for a 1 tv set booster.

If nothing works - trade in the MH for on that does. (lol)

Good luck.

p.s., most likely you will not have an "open" when you check the coax. That can be checked by buying a cheap roll of #22 wire at Shady-o-Rack, have someone hold one end to the center conductor and take the other end to the other end of the coax. Meter between the 22 gauge wire and the center pin. You should see a full continuity in that connection. Do the same for the ground side of the coax.

Come park next to me, or in the vicinity and I'll check it for you.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

thanks for all the replys. I did the thing with swapping the front and rear outputs. no help. disconnect the selecter box and ran a cable on floor to rear TV. every thing was good. bypassed the selecter box for the rear TV with a splitter. get all channels now. only problem if I go to a park with cable I will have to get back behind the selecter box and move wires around. I think I may be able to do something wit an A/B switch, but we are here till april so I will worry about that later. thanks again
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

You might want to get the Coax wiring diagram from the winnebago site. On my Journey, I have identical TVs front and rear. The rear TV actually gets more channels than the front which I attibute the difference in length of coax used. I have installed a Satellite system and added HD cables and in the process noted that the Winnebago coax connectors installed at the factory look like they were crimped with pliers rather than a proper tool. This would add a small loss as well. As others pointed out, corrosion on the switch connectors could also contribute. In summary, it is likely the result of a number of small but collectively significant losses including differences in the actual TV tuners. Not an easy thing to rectify.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Try removing the antenna input cable and the cable leading to the read TV from the switch (box) and temporarily splice them together with a barrel connector (threaded on both ends). If the TV works properly then you have a bad switch.

Good luck.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

If your unit has a connection for an outside TV, it is probably using a splitter from the rear coax. A minimum 3db loss from the splitter plus another 1 or 2db for the fittings and longer cable may make the difference.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
TBI
Winnebago Camper

I have a similar problem in my 35L. The splitter for the outside TV is located behind the control panel for the furnace, generator, holding tanks, etc. I removed it with the same results. I had a digital converter for the front and one for the rear TV. The rear saw almost no channels. Prior to the digital age the rear TV had noise on the signal. I now use the converter for the front TV and switch it through the aux port until I can get back to trouble shooting in warmer weather. I will try a new temporary coax to the rear and see what that does.
TBI is offline   Reply With Quote