Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I have a 2004 Meridian that I purchased new in 2004. Last week while traveling down the road I noticed the rear camera monitor kept flashing greenish vertical streaks in it but that disappeared in a couple of hours. Today when I left the campground the monitor seemed as clear as usual but as the day wore on the rear view started fading and by that evening when I reached the next campground I could hardly see the tow vehicle. Tried turning both the contrast knob and bright knob but nothing helped. It acted kind of like an old TV that finally gets to where you can't even make out the picture.
Does this sound like maybe I have a monitor going south, and has anyone else had this experience? Its a Sony, which I've heard is not really the best option to have since Sonys seem to be very troublesome.
Have any of you changed the monitor yourself? I have an extended warranty so don't know if this item is covered, but the thought of having to find a shop to handle it is most frustrating as I hate having to contend with RV technicians and their inaptness to diagnose a problem. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have a 2004 Meridian that I purchased new in 2004. Last week while traveling down the road I noticed the rear camera monitor kept flashing greenish vertical streaks in it but that disappeared in a couple of hours. Today when I left the campground the monitor seemed as clear as usual but as the day wore on the rear view started fading and by that evening when I reached the next campground I could hardly see the tow vehicle. Tried turning both the contrast knob and bright knob but nothing helped. It acted kind of like an old TV that finally gets to where you can't even make out the picture.
Does this sound like maybe I have a monitor going south, and has anyone else had this experience? Its a Sony, which I've heard is not really the best option to have since Sonys seem to be very troublesome.
Have any of you changed the monitor yourself? I have an extended warranty so don't know if this item is covered, but the thought of having to find a shop to handle it is most frustrating as I hate having to contend with RV technicians and their inaptness to diagnose a problem. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Wagonmaster2
Old 11-13-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I would venture it is the camera and not the monitor. The green streak is one clue. When our camera failed, when power was first applied, the picture was washed out, then would slowly change to a northern lights with green and magenta streaks. The picture would slowly appear, but the color and detail was fuzzy. Sony had lots of CCD problems in the time frame your coach was built. Sony covered the consumer products that used the CCD, but not the backup cameras used in RVs.

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Oops - Have had this coach for 4 1/2 years and just found the Day/Night switch down on the lower right hand corner of the monitor, which somehow got pushed into the Night mode yesterday while traveling. The wife reached over first thing that morning to change the heater temperature and may have inadvertedly pushed the button. Anyway that has fixed my fading.
I thank you, Donn, for the camera advice, which I must still have a problem with. You've described my situation to a "T" until it clears up and the northern lights disappear. Haven't seen them now for about 2 weeks.
Did you change the camera yourself, or watch it being done to know where the camera is and how to get to it?
Thanks again for all the help.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 11-13-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Changed it out myself. Easy job. You have to make sure the video cable does not drop down the hole where it emerges from the rear wall. I tied a cord to the cable before disconnecting the camera and installing the new camera. Our camera failed the end of 2007. Replaced it when we took the RV out of winter storage this spring.

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

When it rains the camera lens gets covered with rain drops and eventually blocks or blurs the view. Does anyone have a solution to this or do ya just stop somewhere and squeegee it off?
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:46 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Wagon2, we replaced ours last year, same symptoms. Either Sony or someone on here gave us a name in FL where we purchased a new camera for around $200.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2004 Journey and the backup monitor/camera system gave up last spring. The culprit was the camera which I purchased from RV Cameras in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. They are most helpful and will get you back in business quickly and for a fair price. They sell refurbished and/or new Sony stuff for RV's.

Good luck!
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote