Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Mysterious "Generator"/"Power Cord" Switch effects a/c

We recently purchased a new 2008 Itasca Sunova 35J in March. We were having the same problem with the rear a/c not working. We went back and forth to the dealership trying to get the rear a/c to work. According to the manual, there is a switch below the refrigerator in the circuit breaker area which can be set to either "generator" or "power cord." The rear a/c does not function on "generator" when the generator is running. The switch must always be set to "power cord" whether hooked up to shore power or when using the generator. It makes no sense and the service guys at the dealership did not have a reason for this anomaly. I even showed them the page in the Itasca manual where the information is incorrect. So try keeping the switch on "power cord" and the rear a/c should properly function.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:42 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

UPDATE: RV Service of VA near Richmond (excellent repair facility BTW) found the problem. A connector located in the area behind the microwave had shook partially loose. It would let the fan run sometimes but never the AC. Plugged it in firmly and good to go. Had the Tech not been good with electronics and schematics, it would have taken forever to find it...only took him little over an hour.

BTW, ours now works fine on shore or genset power if the switch is in the right position.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Steve thanks for the update, glad they got it fixed fairly easily. I'll have to file that away in my mind someplace should I run into the same issue down the road.

Happy Trails!
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Y Guy et al...I saved myself about an hour of shop time because the schematics tend to indicate that the connector and a bunch of other connections are behind the fridge. I had been in there during inverter install and knew that, in fact, they are behind the microwave...a much easier removal. I had not messed with that connector so it must have not been seated properly so the latch would engage during install (an easy mistake). Then some rough highways in SC, LA, and Mexico shook it loose.