Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Rear AC broke?

08 Sightseer 35J. The rear AC is not cooling. I DO have the (Gen-Shore Power) selector switch in the proper position. The fan runs but the compressor is not kicking in as verified by the less than cold air, amp draw on the EMS, and plain old sound. Breakers are fine. EMS is saying it can be on.

Is there something simple to look for? Thanks all! Steve
Old 04-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

When that happened to my dynasty I pulled the control board out of the front unit and installed it in back and it worked fine. I then ordered a new controler. problem solved.
Good luck
dgarrettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Steve, I don't know if this is sympathy pains, but our rear AC started acting up too. Today I noticed that it just started blowing air out the intake. Still gets warm or cold depending on if AC or heater, but the intake is now where my air comes out. Any ideas? Thankfully the front AC appears to be acting normally. Eric
emmmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Steve, doubt its the issue but have you checked the breakers on the generator too?
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarrettb View Post
When that happened to my dynasty I pulled the control board out of the front unit and installed it in back and it worked fine. I then ordered a new controler. problem solved.
Good luck
To make sure I get this right: where is the control board mounted? Access it from the roof or from inside where the filter is? Seems like a good plan. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Did you check the duct work in the back cap? Mine had come apart in several places so it didn't seem to cool the coach. Easy fix as long as the openings aren't too far up the vent.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

More than likely you have had a start capacitor go bad. Check what RVP's (Coleman) warranty is, it should be covered.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

JTharley...this is a roof AC. The compressor isn't starting as evidenced by several things, including amp draw. I'm am familiar with the duct problem on basement air. Thanks for the thought though.

Forest: Where is it? There isn't a dealer anywhere near us so I could DIY cheaper than driving hours. (and I know that a capacitor can zap you big time!) Thanks!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Remove the exterior cover, and then there is a side panel that is part of the duct. Remove a bunch of Phillips screw and there on the left side (facing the front of the RV) are the start and run capacitors.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Steve, if it is not the start cap I would switch the control boards around (make sure power is off as with when you check the caps). They are located inside where the filter is.

Because the fan is blowing when you call for cooling it is probably not the breaker or wiring to the unit.

If you do decide to get it to a dealer, Howard RV in Wilmington has done great work on our coach (mostly warranty-related). They sell (and service) Winnies as well as Newmar. Unfortunately they are about 150 miles from where you are if you are in Cedar Island.

Good luck!
Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Thanks all!! I had the inside grill and filter off today cleaning the filter and see what I think you mean...lot's of wires coming out of it. We're in Mexico and its too hot to get on the roof plus we can only run 1 at a time anyway. Will swap out components a little later.

And, thanks for the tip on Howard's in Wilmington. That's about the only dealer anywhere near us. I hope to DIY but that's a good fall back, even that far away. Thanks!!!
Old 05-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

emmmw,

The inlet is now the outlet on your rear AC? Wierd. That would almost required the fan to be reversed somehow. And since the unit is a/c not sure how that is possible. Let us know if you figure out the why.

This thread has reminded me I need to head down and run the genset and test both ACs before we start long trip next week.

Later
Old 05-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Just back from running genset and testing ACs. Found something interesting. Don't know if it will help Belique, but......

With the genset running and the "rear AC" switch in the generator position, the rear AC compressor would not run. The rear AC fan would run, but no compressor. It did not matter whether the front AC unit compressor was on or off or whether front AC fan was on or off.

So, never one to fully follow instructions, I shut down the front AC. Then I put the "rear AC" switch to Powercord. Now the rear AC compressor ran just fine.

So now I wonder what that switch is all about. I thought it was there to enable the rear AC to be used at the same time as the front when using the genset. And when on shorepower, the power was parsed through the EMS. Now I don't know.

Any ideas? Does this help you Belique? If you are on shore power and not getting the rear AC to operate properly, perhaps the switch is in the wrong position and the knob is not indicating properly.

Best guess without a Corona. And after two I usually don't mess with electric. Small window of opportunity.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRohrers View Post
emmmw,

The inlet is now the outlet on your rear AC? Wierd. That would almost required the fan to be reversed somehow. And since the unit is a/c not sure how that is possible. Let us know if you figure out the why.

This thread has reminded me I need to head down and run the genset and test both ACs before we start long trip next week.

Later
RoadRohrers, I caused it myself when I was cleaning the filters and decided to remove the bottom cover so I could check the tightness of the retaining bolts. After tightening the bolts a little I put the bottom cover back over the wrong half which in essence reversed the AC. From what I've found out the Coleman Rooftop ACs are meant to be used with a centralized vent system like in our MH or without additional venting (sort of like a window AC in a house, but coming from the roof).

I probably had a couple too many beers when putting it back together.

Have a great trip!
emmmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Mysterious "Generator"/"Power Cord" Switch effects a/c

We recently purchased a new 2008 Itasca Sunova 35J in March. We were having the same problem with the rear a/c not working. We went back and forth to the dealership trying to get the rear a/c to work. According to the manual, there is a switch below the refrigerator in the circuit breaker area which can be set to either "generator" or "power cord." The rear a/c does not function on "generator" when the generator is running. The switch must always be set to "power cord" whether hooked up to shore power or when using the generator. It makes no sense and the service guys at the dealership did not have a reason for this anomaly. I even showed them the page in the Itasca manual where the information is incorrect. So try keeping the switch on "power cord" and the rear a/c should properly function.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:42 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

UPDATE: RV Service of VA near Richmond (excellent repair facility BTW) found the problem. A connector located in the area behind the microwave had shook partially loose. It would let the fan run sometimes but never the AC. Plugged it in firmly and good to go. Had the Tech not been good with electronics and schematics, it would have taken forever to find it...only took him little over an hour.

BTW, ours now works fine on shore or genset power if the switch is in the right position.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Steve thanks for the update, glad they got it fixed fairly easily. I'll have to file that away in my mind someplace should I run into the same issue down the road.

Happy Trails!
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Y Guy et al...I saved myself about an hour of shop time because the schematics tend to indicate that the connector and a bunch of other connections are behind the fridge. I had been in there during inverter install and knew that, in fact, they are behind the microwave...a much easier removal. I had not messed with that connector so it must have not been seated properly so the latch would engage during install (an easy mistake). Then some rough highways in SC, LA, and Mexico shook it loose.