Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rand McNally Infotainment System Xite

For some reason, my xcite radio/Rand McNally in-dash unit thinks it is 24 degrees below zero here in Ohio. Therefore, the "Caution Icy Roads" warning message is beeping almost constantly.
1. I have ensured it is set to Farenheight.
2. I have tried factory restore/reset at least twice.
3. I have tried going to warning settings and turning off all warnings (e.g. speed warning, etc) which I really don't want to do, but it did not work anyway. No way to turn off the Icy Roads warning that I have found.

There is obviously a malfunction wherever the outside temperature is being sent to the radio. There must be some sort of thermostat someplace?

Any help would be appreciated.
Gary T.
gthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #2

Not sure about your particular problem, but River Park - who provides Xite infotainment systems to Winnebago - has great customer service and can tell you what to do and/or walk you through a reset. You can reach them at *(800) 442-7717‬ or *(574) 970-2903‬.
SteveD49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:18 PM   #3
aa1ssradio

I don't know why Winnebago keeps using this aftermarket junk in their RV's. When we had our Tiffin it had a Kenwood system in it and it was awesome and never gave us any problems. This Xite riverpark system has been replaced twice. Now getting errors nav.exe has encountered an error and needs to be terminated. sxm.exe has encountered an error and needs to be terminated. When you call you get "we've never heard of that problem before" but do a search and it is all over the internet.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:30 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I just got the nav.exe has to be terminated message a few weeks back. I updated the SD card and so far it has not happened again. The thing is a bit flaky for certain, but when it works pretty nice.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:23 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
I don't know why Winnebago keeps using this aftermarket junk in their RV's. When we had our Tiffin it had a Kenwood system in it and it was awesome and never gave us any problems. This Xite riverpark system has been replaced twice. Now getting errors nav.exe has encountered an error and needs to be terminated. sxm.exe has encountered an error and needs to be terminated. When you call you get "we've never heard of that problem before" but do a search and it is all over the internet.
2012 RV with Site nav errors..... 2012??????

A SWAG..... the SD card is not large enough. Contact River Park and get the up sized SD card and the latest software.

Have you updated programs and maps through the Rand McNally "dock"? That is a must. But you need to do #1 above if you dont have the upgraded SD card.

Software & map updates are free via the RMN dock. Keep it updated.

Ours works perfectly....
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:45 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Yeah, there was definitely a known issue before 2017, they sent out new cards for a lot of those. On their web site you can find some additional info about the old cards. The units appear to really get upset if you don't do the updates through the DOCK on a regular basis. I have to go through a few hoops to get Windows back on my Linux machine but it does appear the update cleared the annoying reboot and message. It seems to want, demand, at least a yearly update.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:56 AM   #7
Site Team

Riverpark has sold a great many RV manufacturers the Xite system. And ours works very well. At first, like immediately after we bought our RV, we had massive problems and failures. I called Riverpark, not Winnebago, and they sent me a brand new Core Unit that I installed myself.

Since then we’ve had no problems.

I used Camping World’s trip planner and this transfers trips via the RND Dock application so I also use it to update the SD card each time I transfer a trip. Now that CW has ended it’s partnership with Rand McNally I have been using the Rand TripMaker system it works pretty much the same as CW’s version of the app.

There are zillions of threads around the Internet of people complaining about the Xite System. I think those all come down to folks that never update the SD card and those the don’t take the time to learn the Rand McNally systems.

My Xite system on my 2017 Adventurer has the big 10” monitor centrally located and a 7” monitor on the passenger side. I see folks with RVs costing 4 times what mine cost complaining that they only have one 7” Xite monitor on their dash. So kudos to Winnebago for putting the deluxe system in my RV.

PS. I like to see my toad in the backup camera so I added another 10.2” by 6” monitor on my dash, on the left near the A pillar. It was super easy to install and it displays the camera views 100% of the time. That way the other monitors are free to show the GPS/Sirius radio
Old 06-02-2019, 10:44 PM   #8
Site Team

Similar experience here. We had a problem with the unit shortly after we purchased our Adventurer. I think the heat in the cabinet fried the core unit. Winnebago replaced the core unit and monitor, but the core unit did not work right on the way home, so I call Riverpark and they replaced the core unit and also sent a new memory card. I now use Rand McNally software to update the maps. Works great and no new firmware updates since they sent the new card about 2 years ago.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:21 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
. Works great and no new firmware updates since they sent the new card about 2 years ago.
I think the Core Unit runs an older version of MS Windows Embedded OS. And while not updating firmware there are updates applied from the RND Dock that change the operation of portions of the various apps. I know one of the updates made in Oct, 2018 changed the way maps are stored in the memory.

Windows Embedded is an odd choice for an operating system in this unit. I know some ATMs and other touch screen devices run it, but it seems outdated.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Open thermistor (temp sensor). Bad sensor, cut wire, unplugged connector.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

RiverPark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD49 View Post
Not sure about your particular problem, but River Park - who provides Xite infotainment systems to Winnebago - has great customer service and can tell you what to do and/or walk you through a reset. You can reach them at *(800) 442-7717‬ or *(574) 970-2903‬.
Thanks Steve for that phone number. The guy I spoke to was very polite and helpful, but the info was not really what I was hoping to hear. There is no way to disable that warning beep. Only way for me to troubleshoot would be to remove the radio to ensure all the wiring is in place. He described what the wire would look like that would lead to the thermostat/temp sensor thing, but he did not know where it was located on the rig. I really don't want to remove the radio myself, I would probably scratch my dashboard all up.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

On my WB View the sensor is under the front bumper. It has a small protuberance that sticks out. I has the same problem in FL! The wire had come loose on the sensor end.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I had the same system in my 2015 Itasca Cambria and after having it replaced 5 time for that issue and many others I put in a Kenwood unit and have had NO problems. Good luck with that unit!!
dehnernc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Mooneypaul, how do you get to the wire, I can't seem to find way to see behind the bumper since the bumper curves around underneath
Old 07-15-2019, 06:49 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I am not sure. I took it in for this under warranty and the dealer fixed it.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Why still XITE system? I switched to Alpine ILX-F259 with CARPLAY(safer). The XITE system uses WindowsCE not a very secure OS and not reliable plus who needs an SD card in this day and age.
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote