Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Purple & Green Wiring from ... (speakers)

What did Winn. get a closeout deal on purple & green wiring for 1995?
There are no wiring diagrams on the sticky link for 1995. I am not sure they would help because everything is purple or green.

I am trying to figure out how the speakers are wired up on my Vectra and cannot tell because everything is purple or green.

The switch for the speakers hasn't worked for some time now, the radio/stereo in the dash only plays out the front speakers. I pulled the panel with the switch and the is a +12 (purple) and another purple wire that goes to some box labeled "CD-AMP-3". That box has one RCA plug coming into it (used to go to the old TV speaker), there is also a ground to that box and two speaker wires one +(high) and one - (not two sets of wires).

My flat screen has stereo and it appears the coach wasn't wired for stereo. I want to wire in the two rear speakers to the TV, but where did they connect the 2 sets of speaker wires together?
I pulled the driver's side rear speaker and of course, it is wired with one purple and one green wire and I cannot tell where they go to.

Short of taken this to a professional and having them rewire the speakers I am not sure what to do.

(And this all started by my wife not being able to hear the TV over the engine/road noise..... )

Your help will be appreciated.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I think Winnebago may email the wiring diagram you need. They also label all the wiring, need microscopic vision to read them.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
They also label all the wiring, need microscopic vision to read them.
Thank you.
I had my bifocals on, I guess I need my fly tying monocle also.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

So I found the speaker wires after taking the dash apart, they are connected to some relay. The relay gets power from the speaker switch.

The funny thing is, if I unplug the relay nothing changes. The front speakers still play the stereo. The relay is energizing with the switch.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Know how you feel. Had to change out my dash radio a couple of months back. In 2002 they found a great deal on YELLOW wire.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesT View Post
So I found the speaker wires after taking the dash apart, they are connected to some relay. The relay gets power from the speaker switch.

The funny thing is, if I unplug the relay nothing changes. The front speakers still play the stereo. The relay is energizing with the switch.
The relay changes the speakers from radio to TV. You should have a switch in the passenger overhead.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

If it makes you feel any better they must have bought in bulk. I have a 1990 and it is also wired in green and purple wires. Makes trouble shooting a nightmare.
ddwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

They must have got a huge supply of purple/green wire because they still used it in my 1997 Adventurer.
I'm grateful Winnebago marks every wire with a 2 letter code and identifies what the wire goes to using this coding. By providing us with their wiring schematics and electrical call-out sheets, troubleshooting is much easier.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Interesting thread. Believe the colors are intended to signify type of connection, ground, 12v, switched, etc. I think yellow is 12v and white, ground.
nsdienes is offline   Reply With Quote