Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Propane generator

Looking at a nice '02 36' Journey - everything good, needs some tires is about the only problem. But. 6kw propane generator. It appears Winnebago had those standard for a while? How much of an issue is this? We dry camp, mostly, use the genset to brew, cook and charge batteries, sometimes run the air. How much of a problem with propane use? Did I mention the coach has a very good price? Thanks.
blevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I have a Onan propane generator in my rig and we have no complaints and we use it for all the things you mentioned. They can however get oil in the carburetor which will make it run poorly . This oil is added to the propane as a lubricant, but I found with regular servicing I haven't had that problem.

Although I can't speak from experience as I have never owned one...I do read of folks who have Kohler propane generators and they are not too happy with them.....but I will let those who have one respond to you.

Jimmy F
Old 07-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

We had a 6500 watt onan propane powered generator for twelve years and it never failed us once.It was on a 98 discovery. No special maintenance was ever done to it , just oil and filter changes.
gknott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

As long as the rig carries enough propane to fuel it for your needs, you should be good. But if you aren't running the air much even 20 usable gallons of propane should be more than enough (you will burn more propane per hour than gasoline or diesel for a given output, remember)

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We sold our 2002 36' Journey in March and it had the diesel generator but it also had a good size propane tank (39 gal)--I think you would be fine. We also had a Fleetwood Discovery with the propane generator and as others have said, we did not have a problem with it. I sure would recommend replacing the tires with the G 670 Goodyear RV tire. The 275/70/22.5 is a perfect match and has lots of carrying capacity. We were running them around 80 lbs. and it sure helped with the ride along with the Koni shocks. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Propane generator

Thanks for the responses. I'd guess my main concern is fuel consumption, how long will my propane support me in the woods. Thanks for the tip about the Goodyears. I just heard today that some Michelins are made in China.
Combines two of my least favorite countries, if true.
blevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

A 39 gal propane tank at 80% usable, you will have about 31 gal to burn. I think you will find the generator will use approximately 1 gal. per hour under a full load.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I suspect that if you want to be conservative, figure 1.5 gallons/hour is your "worst case."

If it's got a 39 gallon tank, you'd have about 30 usable gallons... so a good 20 hours of full blown operation (that's with running the air; running a coffepot for 15 minutes isn't going to run the generator hard).

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote