Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Progressive Surge Guard Recommendation

we're taking delivery of a 2016 Itasca Suncruiser later this summer and we want to install a hard-wired 50-amp Progressive Surge Guard.

Can someone please explain the functional difference between Progressive models EMS-LCHW50 and EMS-HW50C? Is there a different model I should take a look at?

Do I need the sold separately digital display model 'EMS-Remote Display Switch' or do either of the surge guard models come with a remote display? I'd like to have a remote display installed at a convenient place in the MH's cabin.

neither of our previously owned coaches had a surge guard. advice and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I bought the EMS-HW50C (the other version was not available back then) and the extra display so that I could have one display in the hookup bin by the transfer switch where I wired in the unit and then fished the telephone like cable for the second monitor up into the motor home so that I could check on readings from inside the motor home as well.

I usually have the bin display on until everything has switched on and the loads established while I am outside the motor home monitoring it. Once everything checks out as OK, I switch the selector switch to display inside the motor home and shut the bin door.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

As far as I can tell, the LCHW50 appears to have the digital display on the box (in the bay) while the HW50C has a remote display panel for mounting inside the coach. Based on the specs, they appear to be functionally the same. So, if as you say you want the interior display then the HW50C would best fit your requirements. Keep in mind the remote display requires running a cable, may or may not be difficult in your coach.

As far as recommendations, I've used a Progressive for several years (the portable version) and am very pleased.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:32 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Rich,
You are looking at a good unit. I believe the EMS-HW50C comes with the remote display which means you can see what is happening all the time. I do not have it so if it starts acting up I have to go look in the compartment to find the problem; not a biggie as it doesn't happen too often. Beware, the display will blink all day and night so don't put it in your bedroom or in a place you don't want to see it ALL the time. The other unit has the display built into the unit. Our first Winnebago was a Suncruiser and we really enjoyed it . Safe travels.
>> Dennis
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have the Progressive 30 AMP unit, with the remote read. the reason I got the remote read is because unit is installed in such a way (the only way I could install it) so that I could not see the readout on the Unit. My 25' View is tight for room in the Electric Bay.

I installed the remote in the Electric Bay(so I can see it with the bay door open)- I do not want the continuous blinking inside the Coach.

So-if I could have seen the read on the Unit I would not have bought the remote.

I read the unit every time I hook up to shore power-3times, I have had supply problems: bad breaker, inadequate voltage, bad receptacle. It is a great unit-it works-whichever one you get, it will be fine-but-it is not imperative to have the readout inside the coach
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

thanks to all who replied. I'm strongly leaning towards the EMS-HW50C as I do want the remote unit installed somewhere in the cabin. thanks for the tip on the 24/7 blinking. we have a unit that plugs into an AC outlet and continually reads the voltage/amps and that also goes 24/7. is the main unit easily installed (I'm probably a 5 on a 10-scale regarding handy) or is it best left to a pro?

hadn't thought about a problem with the unit and having to send it in for repair. along the lines of the install question is this something I can remove if need be and once the unit is removed how hard is it to jumper the electric so the MH still has power?

Old 05-21-2015, 09:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The remote unit also has a switch to bypass, so if the voltage is low off and on and the EMS keeps dropping power you can over ride it with the switch.
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
thanks to all who replied. I'm strongly leaning towards the EMS-HW50C as I do want the remote unit installed somewhere in the cabin. thanks for the tip on the 24/7 blinking. we have a unit that plugs into an AC outlet and continually reads the voltage/amps and that also goes 24/7. is the main unit easily installed (I'm probably a 5 on a 10-scale regarding handy) or is it best left to a pro?

Installation is very straight forward. Access to the best area is the biggest issue.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
The remote unit also has a switch to bypass, so if the voltage is low off and on and the EMS keeps dropping power you can over ride it with the switch.
good to know. thanks!

Old 05-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have the unit mounted under the bed near the ATS. Mounted the remote on the side of the bed so that it's viewable from the living room. Yes it blinks but isn't bright enough to cause any issue. Unless you're looking at it, light is not visible.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surge guard