Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-05-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

PowerMon Battery Monitor Thoughts

I'm looking at installing a decent battery monitor and came across the PowerMon in my search. I like that it has Bluetooth and won't require any cable to be run for mounting a display, and it looks flexible enough to work with a system, including solar, as it grows.

For now, I'm looking at getting a monitor with upgraded battery and probably adding solar and/or a second battery later. I don't have an inverter, but may add one later. This monitor looks like it would work as-is with my current setup, and then I can add an external shunt later if I add an inverter.

Before deciding, I thought I'd check with the experts here and double check my thinking and make sure I'm not missing anything with this monitor. I didn't find much in the forums of other folks using it. Maybe that's for a reason.
BlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

This is the first time I'd heard about PowerMon. It looks like it maybe a good unit. I saw only a few reviews, but they were good. I would install the external
shunt up front. A 65 Amp shunt seems very small for an RV. The blue tooth aspect is nice. I'm using a Borgart 2030 unit in both RVs and like ti quite well. Does most of the same stuff. On a personal basis I prefer a built-in display opposed to another phone app. Its very nice to be take a quick glance at the meter and see the battery status. In some ways I've always been cautious of swiss army knife type devices, except for my Swiss Army knife. Everybody has their own preferences and that's great.

If you install a PowerMon, I'd like to here about your results after a while.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
Site Team

A little bit more expensive option is the Victron BMV 712 has bluetooth and has an indoor display you can easily install. Plus it comes with a 500 amp shunt.

The PowerMon is $119 and doesn't include a shunt. So, it's really $150+ with a shunt. Only $50 cheaper than the Victron which is a highly regarded BMS.

I have solar and an inverter and 400 amps of batteries but the addition of my battery monitor was easy to install and super helpful because of the information it provides.

I use a Magnum BMK because it plugs directly into my Magnum inverter and works with the inverter monitor already installed in the RV.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I'm with creativepart on the Victron unit. I installed one when I installed the first Battle Born battery. You can get the bluetooth dongle for it, and it has a second input that can be used for various things (midpoint voltage on a series bank, battery temperature, another battery voltage...). I use it for the chassis battery voltage.

The wiring is easy with the included cable.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
You can get the bluetooth dongle for it, and it has a second input that can be used for various things (midpoint voltage on a series bank, battery temperature, another battery voltage...). I use it for the chassis battery voltage.
Yeah, the cheaper 700 model you have to purchase the BT Dongle, but the 712 model I mentioned comes with BT built in.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I can see the appeal of having the display right there to look at whenever you want. The wiring (rather, the lack thereof) is what led me to the PowerMon. I'm not sure how I'd run the wire on my WD1780. Guess I need to start crawling around and see what my options are for running cable.
BlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

[QUOTE=BlackDog;3835460Guess I need to start crawling around and see what my options are for running cable.[/QUOTE]

Post pics and ask us. We'll be happy to help.

The Victron cable is a simple flat phone type cable with modular plugs. In our Sunstar, I brought it up from the batteries under the steps into the cabinet to the left as you come in the door. The bottom comes out easily. Then I snaked it under the drawers to the monitor panels on the wall between the stove and the fridge.

Now that I read that, that's backwards. I dropped it down inside that wall and pulled it forward to the cabinet, and down to the batteries.

Took maybe a half hour.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

another option

(This is my first post as a new forum member, so this will look shady, but I have no affiliation with this product...it's just something I saw in a youtube video of an anternative to the Victron unit).

It's an under $40 battery monitor with shunt (50, 100, or 300A), made by "AiLi" and sold on amazon. It's no Victron for sure, doesn't have all the features or the build quality. But it's $170 less. I don't have one yet, and I wouldn't go cutting a custom, permanent hole for a budget product like that until i tested it thoroughly. But just thought I'd throw it out there for anyone who might want a cheaper power monitor option.

George
2005 Adventurer 38J
lonekazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I purchased one of these and it doesn't require a shunt. It has a sensor that fits around your positive battery cable. Plus, the display is Bluetooth:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17305814208...m=173058142084
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I've never heard of PowerMon, but I installed the Victron monitor and the Victron solar charge controller within the past year and I love them both. The Bluetooth capability was the key selling feature and it works great with a single app for both devices. I really appreciate being able to stand next to a switch or appliance (like the furnace), and turn it on and immediately see the power impact on the app -- couldn't do that nearly as easily with a fixed display head.

Tags
battery, power