Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 07:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

PowerLine Panel Blank

Our display panel for the Powerline Energy Management System has gone blank on our 2005 Winnebago Journey 36. Everything electrical seems to be working as it should, it’s just that the display is blank. Was told there is a 5 amp fuse located on the EMS module that controls this for starters. Where is the EMS module located. I can’t find anything in the elec compartment that’s has PowerLine / Intellitec name on it. One big box with Dimensions name on it.

Anyone have this happen? Thanks
lhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:28 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

There are a couple possibilities with a blank display. First, the display talks to the EMS module, which is located in the 120v breaker box. Before tearing that apart, try gently removing the bezel around the display, unscrew the display from the wall, and GENTLY pull it forward. There should be a small cable attached, which is what communicates with the main module. Check to see if it's come loose. If ok, then you'll have to remove the panel around your 120v breakers to gain access to the EMS module. Use all precautions for dealing with 120v... unplug from shore power, kill the generator, turn off the inverter etc. Manual attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Powerline EMS Display.pdf (285.2 KB, 121 views)
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
There are a couple possibilities with a blank display. First, the display talks to the EMS module, which is located in the 120v breaker box. Before tearing that apart, try gently removing the bezel around the display, unscrew the display from the wall, and GENTLY pull it forward. There should be a small cable attached, which is what communicates with the main module. Check to see if it's come loose. If ok, then you'll have to remove the panel around your 120v breakers to gain access to the EMS module. Use all precautions for dealing with 120v... unplug from shore power, kill the generator, turn off the inverter etc. Manual attached.
Thanks for all your help. Now to find the 120V breaker box. This bus is new to us and just now starting to find find everything.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:02 AM   #4
Just Trying to Help

lhoop-

Wiring diagrams for your coach are here. The "Body, 110V Wiring Installation" diagram (link here, Sheet 2, Zone B-6; note Sheet 2 is page 3 of the diagram set) says the load center is under the foot of the bed, accessible from the outside of the bed frame. The "Body, 110V Wiring Diagram" (link here) shows you how the EMS is tied into the 120V system.

Winnebago offers lots of info on your coach through this Web page:

Winnebago Product Information

See the links in the middle-right of the page: "Manuals & Documentation."
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Mark, That's a lot of help for me and I really appreciate it. I will get started later today in checking everything out.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

It will be blank when you are plugged into 50 amp shorepower. Yours is blank at other times?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Yes it is blank at all times. Even with the gen set running. Thanks

PS - if plugged in to 120V only (single line drop cord) should the panel work?
Old 05-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Yes. Should display 30amp light regardless of actual amperage.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I thought so.... Thanks
Old 05-14-2019, 07:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

OK I just finished trouble shooting per the manual. Have green light on the control module, 5 amp fuse good, have the correct voltage on the 3 pin cable from the Module to the display. Removed the display and have the correct voltage at the display but no lights. Based on this I feel the display needs to be replaced. Correct? Thanks
Old 05-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like you have covered all the bases.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks...... Now to find one (google). It's the original with 2004 date.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

OK folks I replace the panel and the lights came on the amp screen and the thirty amp light lit up BUT for only 10 seconds and then went out. Unplugged the panel and plugged back up and the same thing. After the lights go out I still have the correct voltage going to the panel. So the second thing I tried was starting the gen set to see if that panel light comes on (top left) and it does not. So please keep in mind I only have 120V plugged in for now. Since it has never worked since I bought the bus several months back I do not know how it should work. It may be operating correct but since the Gen Set light is not coming on I am thinking a I received a bad panel. Thanks for everyones help.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:05 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Just curious. Did you try the diagnostic VIII on page 10 of the manual I posted, where it says if there is no display and no Gen light, you should check for 12v at J4 Pin 8 on the control module?
Old 05-17-2019, 06:38 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Yes I did both before I got the new display and after. 12V is there and I have a green light on the board.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:49 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...er-250362.html

Read this thread - i had the same problem several years ago.

Maybe a correction to the above, my problem was a little bit different, but it could be similar.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:25 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Well I replace the module board and a new display panel and NO change. Display is blank and the gen set light does not come on when running. The module board as before has green light, the gen set sends 12V to it when running and the display panel has the correct voltage. i have unhooked batteries unplug charger, etc.... Everything is working as it should..... Any more ideas?

Tags
panel, power