Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Powerline management system

I've read nearly all the post about this system but still have questions.
I have a 1998 Winnebago Chieftain WFL33WB with 30 amp service.
This last weekend - at a camp ground in Ohio. We had a lightning strike very near the park that took out park electric service. On the coach next to me - it burnt up his hard wired surge protector. And even burnt up his TV cable connection.
After power came back on - everything in my coach worked except the rear A/C. Also the LED read out on the EMS wasn't working properly. All the lights are wrong and it's reading 88. Today after trouble shooting - I don't have 12v power to the tsat for the rear A/C - which goes thru the EMS. The rear A/C does have 120v. All of the coach breakers have been reset. I tried resetting the EMS by shutting down all power - even disconnecting the batteries but nothing seems to work. After talking to Winnebago Tech - it seems he believes the circuit board is bad in the EMS. But - like other old things - they don't make it anymore. And Mobility RV in Iowa says the new up grade EMS is over $400.
My questions are - does anybody know where I can obtain an old replacement board ? And just where is the EMS sensor located that tell the EMS what the amps are? Also - does anybody have any other ideas. Thanks guys & gals.
olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

The ems board that senses the current is right in the breaker panel. That is where it was in my 06 Journey when I had a similar issue. Open the door to the breaker panel. Pull the cover and it is in there. I would get the part # off the board and maybe call a junk yard. But then again you don't know if you will be getting a good board or not.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Here's a link to a list of RV salvage shops... maybe one of them might be able to assist.

RV Salvage
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

A lightning strike.

Have you turned this damage into your insurance company??

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfart View Post
I've read nearly all the post about this system but still have questions.
I have a 1998 Winnebago Chieftain WFL33WB with 30 amp service.
This last weekend - at a camp ground in Ohio. We had a lightning strike very near the park that took out park electric service. On the coach next to me - it burnt up his hard wired surge protector. And even burnt up his TV cable connection.
After power came back on - everything in my coach worked except the rear A/C. Also the LED read out on the EMS wasn't working properly. All the lights are wrong and it's reading 88. Today after trouble shooting - I don't have 12v power to the tsat for the rear A/C - which goes thru the EMS. The rear A/C does have 120v. All of the coach breakers have been reset. I tried resetting the EMS by shutting down all power - even disconnecting the batteries but nothing seems to work. After talking to Winnebago Tech - it seems he believes the circuit board is bad in the EMS. But - like other old things - they don't make it anymore. And Mobility RV in Iowa says the new up grade EMS is over $400.
My questions are - does anybody know where I can obtain an old replacement board ? And just where is the EMS sensor located that tell the EMS what the amps are? Also - does anybody have any other ideas. Thanks guys & gals.
I think mobility RV is charging a premium price. We had the same thing happen to our 2001 Adventurer last year. We took it to the Winnebago factory and they replaced both the circuit board and the digital display panel for less than $250.00 including labor.

As I recall the original display isn't compatible with the new circuit board, so even if it works it has to be replaced should you decide to go with new items. The old board and display had a 3 wire connector and the new ones have a 4 wire connector. Fortunately Winnebago used a 4 conductor wire but just taped off the unused strand.

As an aside it took the factory tech less than 1/2 an hour to replace both the board and display.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #6

It sounds like some you guys need to invest in the Progressive Industries EMS HW-50C Power Management System.

EMS-HW50C

I wouldn't leave home without it!

Don't confuse it with the EMS Power Shedding devices that will NOT protect you from lousy shore power or nearby lightning strikes. They are two very DIFFERENT systems.

Just my opinion and advice.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the info. After a late start today - will trouble shoot some more. Than decide to call insurance.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hi olfart, long time no see.

When you open the breaker panel to see the circuit board, look on it, mine has a fuse on the board. You will see a small coil that the neutral wire feeds through, that's what picks up the amp usage.

Are you going to the rally this year, we've already signed up. Remember me, with the old Journey.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Jerry for the info and No - we won't be going to rally this year. Next year (2014) heard it was supposed to be down by you. Would be great to see you again.
The 3A fuse is good - checked with ohm meter - removed. Other than the display panel LED & lights being goofy on display panel - only thing I'm missing is 12v power to rear A/C. Without the 12v to tsat - A/C won't run.
And I'm guessing that the 12v to tsat is controlled by EMS ? I pulled the board at the AC panel out and couldn't see any burn marks. I'm just about to the point of ordering upgrade system from Mobility RV. Such is life when you're dealing with old stuff - just like me :-)
Old 06-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I believe the EMS controls the rear ac with a 12v relay on the board which is inline with y2 wire from tstat. I would jumper out the relay to see if unit could be used.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I've uploaded a service manual for you:

https://skydrive.live.com/#!/view.as...09&app=WordPdf
Old 06-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys - you're the greatest. I did find the service manual already and have gone thru it and plan to see if I can jumper around the tsat 12v relay to see if rear A/C will work. I do have 120v to A/C. If in fact this does work - looks like I'll be replacing the Upgraded System. This is just another special day. If I wasn't doing this - I'd be doing something else - don't ya know.