Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

My display panel for the Powerline Energy Management System seems to be working intermitantly.It is either on and showing power used or completly off. Everything electrical seems to be working as it should, its just that the display works only when it feels like it. There is a 5 amp fuse located on the EMS module and I changed it with no improvement. Anyone have this happen?
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

My display panel for the Powerline Energy Management System seems to be working intermitantly.It is either on and showing power used or completly off. Everything electrical seems to be working as it should, its just that the display works only when it feels like it. There is a 5 amp fuse located on the EMS module and I changed it with no improvement. Anyone have this happen?
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yes, and when we pulled the EMS board forward, the connector into the display was bent down and the solder was broken. DH soldered it to the board and it is working fine.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Sammie you need to check the converter ac output..if it reads more than .5 your converter is bad...i just went through this...everything works ok...except the ems...the problem arises when the converter sends out some type of "Noise" that the EMS does not know how to read. One suggestion if it is the converter call and make sure your dealer has one in stock.
ALso paralax the maker of my converter advised that it will not damage the batteries.

good luck
My converter is under the range drawer.

if you need help getting the ac current readings send me a private message.
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Take the cover off your 110v circuit breaker panel and check all the connections on LEFT side of the EMS board.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sammie - on my 2006 33V Itasca, the powerline management system seems to work when using 30 amp service - nothing shows when I use 50 amp service. Does anyone know if I'VE got a problem?

2006 Itasca 33V
roaminhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by roaminhome:
Sammie - on my 2006 33V Itasca, the powerline management system seems to work when using 30 amp service - nothing shows when I use 50 amp service. Does anyone know if I'VE got a problem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your EMS is working correctly. When plugged into 50amp no management is needed. When plugged into 50amps your EMS panel should look like this......

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by roaminhome:
Sammie - on my 2006 33V Itasca, the powerline management system seems to work when using 30 amp service - nothing shows when I use 50 amp service. Does anyone know if I'VE got a problem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In those cases when you are connected to a 20 amp circuit the EMS really has to manage your demands ... I have found that if I flip the circuit breaker for the second A/C (located at the foot of the bed on my rig) so that it never tries to start ... I will not pop the circuit breaker of the source (my kids houses, for example)
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Tom<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:

Your EMS is working correctly. When plugged into 50amp no management is needed. When plugged into 50amps your EMS panel should look like this......

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2006 Itasca 33V
roaminhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Having a similar problem that just appeared on our '07 38T.

Hooked up to 50 (surge protected) site -or- while on gen set, the EMS display Service Type LED is alternately flashing from 50A to 20A and back. (or w/ Genset running, from Genset to 20A and back)

Also, the Power Status LEDs all flash at the same interval.

Talked to Intellitec, Winnebago and the Converter tech supp folks and was told that AC noise more than .5VAC coming from the converter's DC output can cause this issue. (apparently a capacitor on that side having issues...)

Have to put a meter on the DC output of the converter and look for more than .5 VAC. Tech said they've seen as high as 28VAC. Not a wide spread problem yet, but more than they'd like to see.

Will share my findings asaic.

jack
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

jack they are correct but this is a widespread problem...it doesn't affect anything except the EMS....but my 12v kvh anntenna was just fried...so I am not sure if the ac noise did somehthing to it..if your ems is acting up it is mostlikey the converter. easssy fix but the dealers will not know what you are talking about...also i belive it is more than .5 vac and mine was 1.2....
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:37 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

We have a new '07 Voyage and seem to be having the same PowerLine erratic display problems. As far as I can tell it is functioning properly, just the display is screwed up. Is the trouble shooting technique described in this thread to use an AC volt meter on the DC output of the converter looking for more than 0.5VAC? We plan to inform dealer to remedy but it always helps to have done as much trouble shooting in advance. Thanks
TC&Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:22 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum

Why not turn off the charger/converter and see what happens? I think you can do that with the Dimensions, but I'm not sure what's in your rig.

The best way to measure an AC component is with an oscilloscope, but your meter might give you a rough idea. Battery chargers (especially inexpensive ones) don't necessarily produce pure DC, they charge the battery in "pulses" of DC which is fine for charging purposes. Power supplies (and I suppose converters) are designed to directly power equipment and in this situation it is very important to have "pure" DC with no AC "ripple."

Back to your measurement idea - even if you came up with a reading, convincing the service people that it is perhaps indicative of a problem might be difficult.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

No lights on Powerline 2004 EMS at all

Our Powerline display is completely dark. Checked wires and all seem ok (read the note on the solder missing). Was working fine, though had to manage extreme heat and only 30 amp service. I did shut down the #2 compressor, but still had problems. I might be able to replace this myself if I can find the Display Panel. I called Intelliltec and they were very unhelpful since I'm not a dealer. Any other ideas?

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Hardy,

My display just went blank a few days ago, I spoke to the Tech Supp guy at Intellitec and he was very helpful. I don't understand why they would help you. Anyway, if you remove the bezel from the display by GENTLY pushing down on the lower front of it you can get at the two mounting screws. Disconnect the cable (J5) you can check voltages. P1 - 12V, P2 - data (should read between 7-10Vdc, P3 - GND.

I have 13.53V on P1 and 9.83V on P2, still dark display. The EMS system works fine, I ran the generator and purposely overloaded the EMS system and it shed load like it should so that proved the EMS board itself is good. I'm in the process of ordering a new display.

Hope this helps.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote