Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Powerline 2004 Energy Maintenance reading incorrectly

Before I call the RV Doctor, thought I would lean on the collective wisdom of the forum.

We are running a 2007 Journey 34SH. When parked at our bricks n sticks we normally keep her plugged into a 50 amp supply and she functions as a guest house. We are leaving for our spring trip next week, and noticed that the Powerline service type display only indicates 30 amp. All four of the systems in the Power Status window are indicating normally. Our SurgeGard 35550 indicates both legs are hot, to me that means the issue is downstream of it.

Anyone have any constructive thoughts?

Now that I think of it, We have two other things that cause us to go hmmmm, but will open separate threads for each.
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Here's a 3 page thread on the subject...

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/plug...-a-295651.html
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Oldchinahand First check to see if any 110 VAC beaker are turned off.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

thanks. sounds like dnystrom and I ave the same problem. I have laid a voltmeter across my supply and am confident in it. Plus, the my surgegard reads correctly. Am going through every 125v breaker I can find including the two 50amp breakers on the power center.

Much like avoiding packrats, I am doing anything, everything anyone says (that sounds logical to an old main space engineer) :-)
Old 04-30-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thanks to all. Problem seems to be resolved. In the interest of sharing results with others having this issue, grtharris was on point. beginning at the 50amp service, I hand over handed from the 50amp service, through the hardwired surgegard, through the ABT and on to the power center located under the bed. All was visually OK. So I turned off the 50 amp service, went back through the system, closed all 125v breaker then opened them, turned back on the 50 amp service. Zip! Powerline still indicating only 30amp. So then I closed and opened all the 125v breakers with the 50amp service on. Magic! Powerline indicated receiving 50 amp. So, I turned off the 50amp service, waited a few minutes, turned the 50 amp back on. Magic again! Powerline reads receiving 50amp. So the fix seems to be cycling the 125v breakers with the 50amp service on. Why? I don't know. I don't know why kids and dogs like me either. Which one of the breakers was the culprit? Don't know that either. Can't see the Powerline from the power center. If happens again, will have she-who-must-be-obeyed assist while I cycle breakers one at a time.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

According to the 110 Volt Load Center/Auto Transfer Switch diagram for your coach the Engine Heater circuit breaker (rightmost 15A breaker) must be on for the EMS to function correctly. See the note "/8\" on the lower left of page 5 of the pdf and the corresponding symbol in the upper right of the same page indicating the breaker involved.

You should be able to test this by connecting to 50A shore power and turning off that breaker--the EMS panel should revert to 30A. If you turn the breaker back on it should correctly display 50A service.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Great guidance Chris! So simple when you read the tech manual. Proves the old adage, even rocket science is not rocket science to a rocket scientist. Added the diagrams to my tech library.

Now, we should just relax and enjoy our new knowledge (here comes the but monkey), but I know that the navigator and I will cover many road miles discussing the logic of having that particular function of the EMS controlled by the Engine Block Heater circuit breaker. Rhetorical statement.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Actually the reason is the EMS needs to monitor the power lines of one circuit on the 'other' leg of 50A system (2 separate 120V circuits, 180deg out of phase with each other)--that's how it can detect 50A vs 30A (which is all one leg and therefore the same phase in all circuits).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

On my previous 2003 Adventurer it was the water heater breaker.

Tags
maintenance, power