Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2006, 05:01 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Here is a good comparison chart and why I bought Progressive Industries
EMS system. Their "Remote Panel" keeps you informed, the system keeps you protected and their service was exemplary.
DLBatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:33 AM   #22

Where did you guys buy the Progressive portable 50 amp ones?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:46 AM   #23
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Where did you guys buy the Progressive portable 50 amp ones? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought my 50A Surge Protector at RVUPGRADES an iRV2 sponsor of course!!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:01 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

I went to Progressive's web page and under their "Where To Buy" I called Traveline Sales @ 1-800-334-5686. some time back I called them and they said that the 30 amp is still $249 and the 50 amp is $389. They only do business over the phone as they have no web page.
DLBatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:11 PM   #25
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DLBatz:
I went to Progressive's web page and under their "Where To Buy" I called Traveline Sales @ 1-800-334-5686. some time back I called them and they said that the 30 amp is still $249 and the 50 amp is $389. They only do business over the phone as they have no web page. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the same price you can help support an iRV2 sponsor that helps support this site....your call.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

I have to agree with Rebelsbeach, go to RV Upgrades. I will be purchasing a surge protector sometime this winter and will go there first. I have done business with them in the past. They are very price competitive, and offer fantastic service.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:02 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Does any one use both an autoformer and the Progressive EMS-HWC50C model surge guard/monitor? I have purchased the EMS-HW50C with extra remote monitor, and have not yet purchased an autoformer, but am considering one as well.

Without an autoformer, I presume the sequence is:
transfer switch - HW50C - power pedestal.

If you add an autoformer into the equations, how do you hook them up?

in this order:
transfer switch - auto former - HW50C - power pedestal? or

transfer switch - HW50C - autoformer - power pedestal? or

some other order?
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:17 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CWHTRAINS:
Does any one use both an autoformer and the Progressive EMS-HWC50C model surge guard/monitor? I have purchased the EMS-HW50C with extra remote monitor, and have not yet purchased an autoformer, but am considering one as well.

Without an autoformer, I presume the sequence is:
transfer switch - HW50C - power pedestal.

If you add an autoformer into the equations, how do you hook them up?

in this order:
transfer switch - auto former - HW50C - power pedestal? or

transfer switch - HW50C - autoformer - power pedestal? or

some other order? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clayton,

I have the other brand the SurgeGuard made in Clearwater, FL which is local to me so I have mine set up transfer switch - auto former - SurgeGuard - power pedestal.

SurgeGuard reccomends that you have it transfer switch - SurgeGuard - autoformer - power pedestal so the AutoFormer will keep the voltage sensor in the SurgeGuard satisfied.

To me since the surge protection in the AutoFormer is sacrificial and the unit has to be sent back to the manufacturer to get it repaired after it stops a surge, I put the SurgeGuard first and let it take the surges. That way if the surgeguard gets damaged I can take it straight to the counter at SurgeGuard without having to ship it. The AutoFormer will still be there to provide voltage compensation and surge protection.

I check my Autoformer regularly and it is in boost mode so much of the time because of the multiple daily brownouts that we experience here in Florida that I would not want to be without it for any length of time. I keep my coach plugged in with the AC running set at the mid eighties to protect the coach from heat and mildew damage so the daily brownouts without the AutoFormer would greatly reduce the lifespan of the compressors and blowers in the coach.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:35 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

We have the hardwired Surge Guard and it gives us a good piece of mind - wouldn't be without it.

I have changed my tune about the need for an autoformer - if we ever go to Canada (or Alaska) again, I will for a certainty have a 30 amp model. I see absolutely no reason to invest in the 50 amp version because (with one exception) the low voltage problems happened on 30 amp service. It was a very rare situation to have anything other than 30 amp power available up there; I'll guess that we had low voltage problems in 50% of the Canadian parks we stayed in and to a lesser extent, Alaska.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:45 AM   #30
Winnebago Watcher

BobD
A number of years ago, before I purchased my Surgegard, we were camping at Lazy Days in Sefner. Apparently someone purchased a portable Surgegard to go with a new RV. When they decamped, they left the Surgegard hanging on the power post. I turned the Surgegard into Lazy Days management for safekeeping. This one experdience convinced me that when I got a Surgegard, it would be the permanently installed model... which I now have

rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:03 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

I purchased the Progressive EMS portable PT50 and what I did was cut my power cord and install a plug/receptcle on it so that I keep the portable Progressive EMS in the compartment. I never forget it and it keeps it safe from the weather and wondering eyes.

I was glad I decided on the portable because last year when in Tenn. lightning stuck the main power to the campgrounds and ruined the EMS. But it did it's job and protected our coach wiring. I called Progressive and they had me sent it to them, a few days later they sent me a new unit, NO CHARGE!

Now that was service. I highly recommend the Progressive EMS system be it portable or hard wired. They know how to take care of the RVer's.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:15 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Received Surge Guard from RVupgrades by UPS today.

Plugged in, works as advertised, currently in Bandera, Tx, and they found us here.

Ordered online, delivered as promised, and liked the tracking with UPS, so we knew when to be here for delivery.
SideRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:52 AM   #33
TJM
Winnebago Camper

We purchased both a 50 amp Surgeguard and a 50 amp Autoformer (neither hardwired) after our converter got fried at a campground last spring. To keep it high and dry, we have the autoformer located inside the compartment. We then put the Surgeguard at the power pedestal. Like Neil V., we prefer to put the Surgeguard first. We Also leave the Surgeguard locked on the end of our cord, never removing the lock.
No forgetting or problems for us that way.

Joy
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote