Old 06-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

On a cheater 50 amp you are not only overloading the pedestal neutral, you are overloading YOUR neutral all the way to your panel. If you DID NOT have a EMS and did not realize what was happening, and you drew more than 50 amp TOTAL (for instance30 and 30 on each side) due to the fact the two hots are NOT 180 degrees out of phase, the neutral would be seeing 60 amps. Eventually your long shore power cord would get pretty warm.

You should instantly spot this by the fact that the pedestal will only have a single 50 amp breaker and not a double pole breaker (unless they are really trying to fool you)

This should be clearly noted in a Park Review.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Single pole switch breaker. Haven't seen that before ever. The Surge Guard will protect the electrical and won't energize the coach if somethings not right with the connection to the coach. Glad I learned something.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:48 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnystrom View Post
Single pole switch breaker. Haven't seen that before ever. The Surge Guard will protect the electrical and won't energize the coach if somethings not right with the connection to the coach. Glad I learned something.

I don't believe any of the currently available Surge/EMS units will identify this particular condition.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:52 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
On a cheater 50 amp you are not only overloading the pedestal neutral, you are overloading YOUR neutral all the way to your panel. If you DID NOT have a EMS and did not realize what was happening, and you drew more than 50 amp TOTAL (for instance30 and 30 on each side) due to the fact the two hots are NOT 180 degrees out of phase, the neutral would be seeing 60 amps. Eventually your long shore power cord would get pretty warm.

You should instantly spot this by the fact that the pedestal will only have a single 50 amp breaker and not a double pole breaker (unless they are really trying to fool you)

This should be clearly noted in a Park Review.

Charles

A single pole 50 amp would not be dangerous to the coach as it's impossible to draw more than a total of 50 amps. The danger is a double pole 50 amp with both legs on the same phase. This is what makes it possible to see up to 100 amps on the neutral leg.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
A single pole 50 amp would not be dangerous to the coach as it's impossible to draw more than a total of 50 amps. The danger is a double pole 50 amp with both legs on the same phase. This is what makes it possible to see up to 100 amps on the neutral leg.
You are correct, I had my head in the dark and didn't consider this.

Pretty sorry campground to do this, especially when they charge you for it.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:19 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
You are correct, I had my head in the dark and didn't consider this.

Pretty sorry campground to do this, especially when they charge you for it.

Charles

My head is in the dark a good bit of the time. I'll refrain from telling you where this dark place is.

I agree that it's pretty sorry. Hard to believe a real electrical contractor would do this kind of work.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #35
Winnie-Wise

But they were supplying 50 amp. No?
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:43 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
But they were supplying 50 amp. No?
Yes 50 amps @120 volts.

Standard 50 amp RV service is 50 amps @ 240 volts. That works out to 50 X 2 @120 volts.

Here is an article explaining it.

http://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter3.php
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote