Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hi, my Parallax converter/charger has started to make noise when under load. A high pitch noise most of the time. It is quiet with just the refrig. or charger running off it but starts with the noise when I add extra loads such as a light along with the refrig and charger etc..
It was ok in the fall.Has anyone had this prob before?
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi, my Parallax converter/charger has started to make noise when under load. A high pitch noise most of the time. It is quiet with just the refrig. or charger running off it but starts with the noise when I add extra loads such as a light along with the refrig and charger etc..
It was ok in the fall.Has anyone had this prob before?
Old 04-30-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

ctcamper,
Check the fan in the converter . Make sure it doesn't have any foreign objects (pine needles,leaves, carpet fibers, etc) in it. When the converter is under a small load, the fan does not run. But at some point as the load increases, the fan will come on. This MAY be the source of the noise. But, then again it may not be. Just a suggested starting point.
Chas
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Something else to check is batteries. I found as my previous set begin to fail the converter fan ran all the time. Once I replaced them, the fan rarely runs. Obviously the charge section was working overtime.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Ok
Batteries are new and topped off - just put in my old trimetric monitor. I'll be boondocking at a dog show over the weekend so I'll check the fan as soon as I get back Mon or Tues.
RV is 8 months old and has only been used a couple of times so far -- I hope it's just stuff in the fan
Old 05-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Fan is ok, still makes noise on shore power but not as much - couldn't tell if it made noise while the generator was running as it would have been drowned out by the generator noise.
New problem over the weekend. It was charging fine on Thurs, Fri and Sat morning when the generator was running, then Sat night it stopped charging and the batteries were down to 12.5 on sunday. I ran the generator for several 2 hour spans over sunday and finally when I started to pack up to go home the voltage picked up and the converter / charger started charging the house batteries. I am sure glad I had the golf cart batteries or I would have been out of luck for heat on Sat. night.
I called parallelax and they said something sounds wrong so take it to the dealer. The soonest they will take me is after memorial day.
If I go sit for a week in the woods like I planned before Memorial day, I may be in for some candlelight nights
Old 05-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ran the fan and lights overnight to bring the batteries down to 12.5. Still not charging.

I can't figure out this one:
When I have the genset running, the tank monitor levels indicator go to full on everything except for the gray water tank. When off they are normal at around the levels they are supposed to be
Any ideas?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #8

The Parallax converter/chargers are known for being noisy. Yours may have some screws that have loosened over time and the case is vibrating making the noise louder.

They are a single voltage converter with a nominal output of 13.8 volts, and will cause high battery water usage in hot weather. They also are slow at charging a battery - not good for charging from a generator (and the frequency must be at least 60 Hz or the charge rate falls of rapidly).

If you do replace it, you will probably have to replace the wire(s) to the battery and the fuse or circuit breaker at the battery end as most of the popular replacements have a higher current rating. But you should go with a multistage charging converter.

Historically, the most popular replacements have been the Progressive Dynamics 9100 series with the Charge Wizard and the 9200 series with the Pendant. These provide you an indication of the charge mode and the ability to manually switch the mode - other brands do not have these features and they can occassionally be useful to the boondockers charging with a generator.

Other brands and models are WFCO, Iota with the IQ module, and the relatively new Xantrex converters.

All are available as deck mount units that would probably fit in the area where your converter is mounted and use the same AC power input.

I replaced my my Parallax single stage charger converter with the Progressive Dynamics PD9245 with the visual pendant for less than $150, and it is a much better converter/charger for running your generator to charge your batteries and is a true 3-stage charger.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hi
Had a similsr problem on my Sightseer,after a LOT of checking it turned out to be thr 40A breaker having tripped. This was in the main breaker box, not the chassis breakers.
Regards
Tel
tel999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I just realizd the charger wasn't kicking in just before I left the show, it was the alternator from the engine after I started the rv.
I went over all the battery connections but the unit still did the same. The troubleshooting flow chart checked out with 13.8 across the converter output and ground. I then called tech support back. They were really helpful and after following their further troubleshooting process I verified the unit is defective.
When there is a load on the converter without the batteries connected, it is dropping in voltage to around 9 - 10 volts. This is with just two light bulbs lit and the overhead fan on half speed.
Dealer says they can't see me till the day after Memorial day. It takes about 10 minutes in diagnosis and prob 30 to swap out I would guess. Sure ties up my plans of taking off for two weeks. Since it's under the Winnebago warranty ( rv was purchased the latter part of last August and has only 3000 miles on it so far) my hands are tied as you have to go through the dealer. Plus once they get it on that tues. they will then have to order another unit.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Just a thought. It only takes about 30 minutes to change out the converter. I would just bite the bullet and spend the $150.00 and get me a good Progressive Dynamics converter with the charge wizard. No more problems and no NOISE.

2005 Itasca 33V Workhorse Chassis
Old Odyssey Toad
Bayway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:37 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I had a similar issue with a Journey we had. We were on the road when the dimensions charger failed. I purchased a small automotive type battery charger and when I ran the generator just plugged it into an outlet and connected it to the batteries. I always carry that charger with me now just incase. There should be no reason to cancel or change your plans

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bayway:
Just a thought. It only takes about 30 minutes to change out the converter. I would just bite the bullet and spend the $150.00 and get me a good Progressive Dynamics converter with the charge wizard. No more problems and no NOISE.

2005 Itasca 33V Workhorse Chassis
Old Odyssey Toad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BINGO!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote