Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2005, 03:02 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

It is very seldom that I drive our Adventurer at night however on this last trip I did and noticed something. The dash lights are on the radio and heater conbtrols and the cluster but nothing else. In fact the headlight switch is not illuminated. Years ago when I was in the Military they had on the dash these little button type dash lights that shown down on the various controls. Does anyone know where I may find them. I asked Winnebago about them and if these controls are to be illuminated and maybe there was a place for a buld and they said they are not illuminated. I would like to install some kind of panel light to illuminate headlight switch area and switches under heater control. Thanks.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:02 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It is very seldom that I drive our Adventurer at night however on this last trip I did and noticed something. The dash lights are on the radio and heater conbtrols and the cluster but nothing else. In fact the headlight switch is not illuminated. Years ago when I was in the Military they had on the dash these little button type dash lights that shown down on the various controls. Does anyone know where I may find them. I asked Winnebago about them and if these controls are to be illuminated and maybe there was a place for a buld and they said they are not illuminated. I would like to install some kind of panel light to illuminate headlight switch area and switches under heater control. Thanks.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

i think its sad the money we spend on the winn mh they couldnt spend a few more bucks and give us dash lights. what, would it cut into their allready inflated prices. try cutting on your running lights or coach heater in the dark. am i mad? no,not me. i just took my mh in for repairs for the fifth time. i have been without my mh for about 4 mounts so far. lets see how long this time.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have looked at useing Licence plate illumination lights to do this. You can find different styles at the auto parts stores

Toad - GMC Envoy
bsmith8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:19 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Our 2001 Adventurer was a real pain to drive at night because of the lack of control panel lights - I was amazed they would build something like that. Now that we have traded on a new 2005 Suncruiser I am pleasantly surprised to find that EVERY control and switch on the whole dash is brightly illuminated in white letters while the instrument cluster is illuminated in red! What a treat !
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

... you may want to try Aircraft Instrument Lights on your search engine and follow some leads there. Model train accessories catalogues stores could be a source as well as ham radio catalogues. Usually, any panel needs a light source and most panel manufactures rely upon items already on the shelf rather than manufacture their own. One company that comes to light (pun intended) is Solico. They manufacture led lights and the holders. Radio Shack? Lights should be red for night driving so as not to glare and distract you. Pilots use a light that is adjustable in intensity and red. Good luck.

2001 Adventurer 32V
FrankieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I was looking into small LED's from Radio Shack or West Marine, but ended up trading before I had a chance to do it. My plan was to mount one over the light switch and two over the row of switches on the right.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 03:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Perko makes a really nice, compact 2watt sealed light that is designed to be used in boats, pre-drilled for surface mounting. I've added them to my boat and golf car for illumination. They would be great for illumination on the dash. I get mine from Cabelas but any boating supply store should have them.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:53 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Tom, When you're sitting in the drivers seat there is a little spot light to your right and rear of your head that is controlled by the dash light wheel on the dash. If you replaced that white light with a red bulb (see bulb number LB1156RS at http://www.lightlens.com/coloredbulbs.htm) you'd almost have an aircraft type night panel light (like the old Cessna 170B for you
airplane types).
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote