Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Outlets no power

Hi,
I just bought this 1989 Itasca suncruiser and everything works so far except I have no power to outlets. I checked the breaker and lights work so could use any advise. I'm a newbe so could use some help. thanks
cgold25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Try resetting any GFI outlets (near sinks) that may have tripped. Then check your inverter...maybe the leg of the incoming service that powers the outlets is not being passed thru the inverter. Do you have outlet power under generator?
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

You may have a GFCI receptacle that has tripped. Additional outlets are daisy chained and will be impacted by a tripped GFCI.
If you have an inverter a breaker on the inverter itself may have tripped.
I am assuming you have shore power to 120v appliances and just he outlets are impacted?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Surge protectors. Some where you may have an outlet with a "built-in" surge protector. Look to see if so and if it has been tripped. These maybe in a bathroom or in your kitchen area. Be kinda weird if one may be in a compartment. Then sometimes these outlets need to be replaced as they too can fail.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Winnebago Industries has lots of information on line and available to us about our motorhomes ...

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/

from here you can find wiring, plumbing, diagrams for your unit by entering the year and model ...

In particular this should help you locate the number and location of your GFIs

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

cgold25, so that we are not assuming do any of the 110VAC devices work?
All of the lights are 12VDC.
A lot of your outlets do come through A GFI. So if some the outlets are working and others are not working the GFI sounds like your problem.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We lost all power in our coach while on a trip. We had a electric heater on, coffee pot and then my husband turned on a toaster oven and apparently that was too much. We checked all the GFI's inside but nothing happened. It was the a breaker in one of the outside compartments that was tripped. Very strange.....
We now know better..
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

If you are plugged into shore power, check AC, Refer, Micro Wave and any thing else that operates on 120V AC. If everything works OK, then find the GFCI and reset it. Good luck...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Once our GFI tripped and when I pressed reset it still didn't work. Here's what I discovered. When the GFI outlet trips you need to press it to the off side first then to the on side. This took care of it. This drove me crazy 'till I figured that out. I kept pressing it to on but it wouldn't reset without pressing it to off first.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

This may sound strange to some, but is the inverter off? I had one that killed the outlets if not powered up. Switched fine to house battery backup when on but no power through the built in transfer switch when it was off.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

jerichorick and lajuene I'm pretty sure the OP does not have a inverter in his 1989 Itasca suncruiser.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Just to make sure that the basics are covered, in order to have 120V AC power at any outlets in the motorhome you must be in one of the following states:
  1. Plugged into shore power.
  2. Running generator (and, in the absence of an automatic transfer switch, power cord plugged into generator).
  3. Inverter installed and active to convert 12V DC from batteries to 120V AC. [This can probably be ignored in your case because the 1989 Suncruiser brochure doesn't list an inverter.] If present it would probably be a small one to power the outlet(s) for the TV, etc. only.
Without one of the above you would expect to have 12V DC available to power lights, fridge, etc. but not 120V AC.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgold25 View Post
Hi,
I just bought this 1989 Itasca suncruiser and everything works so far except I have no power to outlets. I checked the breaker and lights work so could use any advise. I'm a newbe so could use some help. thanks
If you don't have any ac current in any section of the coach on shore power or running the generator and you have checked the breakers and GFI resets. I found that my wire lugs were loose in the transfer switch box. Before you open the transfer switch be sure to unplug from shore power and turn off all breakers and disconnect switches.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

WOW thats alot of information but very valuable. I went out in the cold and checked to see if this coach had an outlet to plug in the long cord that hooks to shore power and it does so I pluged the cord into this outlet next to the generator. Its dark out now so I will wait till daylight and see if this solves the problem. I want to thank each of you for caring enough to help a stranger in need. This place is wonderful
cgold25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
jerichorick and lajuene I'm pretty sure the OP does not have a inverter in his 1989 Itasca suncruiser.
They call it a "converter/battery charger". I am guessing it works like a inverter but I could be wrong. I don't know if the outlets are direct wired or through the service panel. The wiring pdf didn't download correctly. Again, this is all speculation on my part except for the existence of the equipment. There is nothing to loose by looking at this as a possible source of trouble.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
They call it a "converter/battery charger". I am guessing it works like a inverter but I could be wrong. I don't know if the outlets are direct wired or through the service panel. The wiring pdf didn't download correctly. Again, this is all speculation on my part except for the existence of the equipment. There is nothing to loose by looking at this as a possible source of trouble.
A 'converter' or 'converter/battery charger' converts 120V AC to 12V DC. An 'inverter' converts 12V DC to 120V AC. An 'inverter/charger' also includes a converter or charger which produces 12V DC from 120V AC.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
A 'converter' or 'converter/battery charger' converts 120V AC to 12V DC. An 'inverter' converts 12V DC to 120V AC. An 'inverter/charger' also includes a converter or charger which produces 12V DC from 120V AC.
Thanks. Never did get that converter thing straight. I've been working with inverters for too many years now. In my day, going from AC to DC was done with a rectifier and a filter network. Oh, these new fan-dangled names for old stuff... I should have had a V8!
Old 03-06-2014, 12:52 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
My account of the GFI tripping is for AC outlets with or without an inverter. If plugged in at a campground the GFI can still trip no matter where the AC power is coming from.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:26 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajuene View Post
My account of the GFI tripping is for AC outlets with or without an inverter. If plugged in at a campground the GFI can still trip no matter where the AC power is coming from.
In my coach, and I think your Vectra, some of the inverter feed line was GFCI protected. I did not like the way the power system was built in my '05 Vectra. I am very happy with this coach, power wise. I must say that the quality of workmanship is suffering as compared with the Vectra. But, that subject is not for here.

I don't see where the OP has a GFCI problem identified. I may have missed one of the updates. I don't always read ever line. I thought the problem was general. Missing power to the outlets. 12V working fine.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

I had a 198? class C without an automatic transfer switch ... my 120 V AC outlets were powered only when ...
1) My power cord was plugged into the 120 V pedestal OR
2) My generator was running and the power cord was plugged into an outlet beside the generator.

Otherwise I only had 12V DC power for the lights and controls for the refrigerator and LP furnace.

I would guess that your 1989 is similarly equipped.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power